advertisement

Linn Ittok LV II Loose Cueing Rest

stephen_cowslip

pfm Member
Hi all,

I hope you are well.

I recently procured a Linn LP12 with Linn Ittok LVII and what I later discovered was a Koetsu Black MC cart.

It runs and sounds great but I have an issue with cueing.

The black, curved, rubber-topped cueing rest is loose. Meaning it can move quite a few mm around the point at which it's attached.

The issue is that when I lower the tone arm, it causes the rest to move and in turn, the arm to drift.

Image as follows:

Jngjn4u.jpg

I assumed the screw at the top might tighten it but it's extremely stiff and I do not want to do any damage.

Really grateful for any ideas.

Thank you in advance!

As a first and simple try - lightly "scrub" the rubber on the cuing platform with magic rubber, failing that, try Scotchbrite. Basically, increase the friction as far as possible rubber to tonearm wand.

As a first and simple try - lightly "scrub" the rubber on the cuing platform with magic rubber, failing that, try Scotchbrite. Basically, increase the friction as far as possible rubber to tonearm wand.

Thanks, Vinny. I will give it a try. I assume that it's meant to be slightly loose then? I thought that it would be tight, without any movement at all...

Stephen

It is worth a try - it is a while since I had an Ittok, but I am 99% sure the platform was not held "captive".

I have also had the same hassle on other arms and this worked.

The rubber on yours will be "old" and likely glazed, so low friction. No reason to not try - just be careful :) Don't wreck anything.

Also check if the platform is horizontal - bend it, if it isn't. Again, just be careful.
If out by a ways, you may need to alter the arm-lift mech' height afterwards.

I’ve just looked at mine, it can rotate about 20 degrees, it’s the pin rotating in the housing, not the rest being loose on the pin.
It does not rotate when in use though.

Thanks for the replies, all.

Here is a video:

As you can see, the rest freely moves. Every time I lift and drop the rest, the tonearm can drift in different directions which is completely understandable as it's riding on the curve of the rest.

The tonearm has a protruding bobble which can get caught behind / in front.

Something definitely not right here.

Cheers

Rotational movement looks normal. The bobble is a screw.

Try checking for being horizontal and roughening the rubber.

Mine does the same as yours, the bobble is the screw holding the arm tube.
I pull my rest all the way to the front, anti-clockwise and the screw can’t push the rest any further, if you know what I mean.

I’ve not had a problem with drift.

Hi there,

That cuing platform and the rubber strip are not original. Maybe it was damaged and replaced but it ain't from an Ittok. Google pictures of the Ittok and you'll see what I mean. This might explain why it's not behaving quite right but I'm sure you'll be able to get it working ok.

That cuing platform and the rubber strip are not original.

Good spot - platform looks OK, but another piece of rubber has been glued on top of the original, by the looks.
The original rubber will have got hard and glazed. Should have just been roughened slightly.

Original rubber was ridged - 2? 3? ridges. Not flat. Purely from memory.

Looks like there were different types, the top image looks like the one on the basik plus arm I had on the LP12 previously

Very odd.

OK will try and get something that will resurface the rubber and hope that fixes it.

Now I've just got to figure out the tracking force for this cartridge and how to dial it in...

advertisement

Back