advertisement

Linn Isobarik DMS 1980 - Pre and Power amp recommendations please

Shaun555

pfm Member
Hi,
I have a pair of 1980 Linn Isobarik DMS speakers. I would like some recommendations for second hand preamp and second hand power amps. My budget is about 2000 pounds for the pair. I did have a Maim 32.5 and Naim 160 but it wasn't powerful enough and the Naim 250 that replaced it eventually died. I would be most interested if members knew of other good quality manufacturers that are capable of driving the Briks. Your advice is much appreciated.

They’re rated at 100 watts music and 86 dB with impedance dropping to just under 4 ohms, so, theoretically, you have quite a lot of choice. They are big speakers so I am sure they are capable of handling transients a lot, lot higher than that, and you want to make sure you have enough power so those transients don’t clip and fry any drivers.

At the lower end, on paper, I would have thought a Quad 606 should have plenty of headroom to spare, moving up a big Meridian power amp would also fit the bill, but sound different rather than better, a little further up still you have some of the big modern class D amps and the parasound A21.

All of the above would allow more headroom than the 250 or Klout, which would have been the contemporary dealer reccomendation.

And I’d use a suitably matched passive pre, but that’s just me.

Hi - In addition to above, which is absolutely right, I'd also speak to Avondale Audio, their new SE range or SE200, SE230, and SE400 amps are genuinely completely outstanding. Please DON'T take my word for it, check out the information on here !

Even the SE 200 drives Linn Isobariks with ease, though the mighty SE 400 is a bit beyond your budget.
Avondale are a small bespoke boutique concern - so you might have to be patient, though stock is much more plentiful of late. I know used Avondale gear can be found in Australia and New Zealand.

I use nothing else. No need, over the past 33 years, I've tried them all from £12,000 Krell, £26,000 Mark Levinson, Musical fiddeldidee, 9K and 20K Naim of course, EAR, Chord, and many more. I even used Linn amps once......:-/

Les from Avondale is a true diamond and a legend of the industry.

Second hand the Avondale NCC 300 would be a must, described as "A Masterpiece" here on Pink Fish, has all the power and SQ Briks need.

Or more specifically the ability to deliver current. The older Naim designs like the Naim 250 and 135, or even a 25ODR can do it, but sound their age when compared to the brand new Avondale kit. You could consider the Avondale venerable NCC200 and NCC220, there are lots of these around in excellent used condition as most people are moving over to the new AA SE range.
An AA board should last at least 25 years, and are proven to do so when utilised correctly. Even longer the New SE range.

Briks are a fantastic speaker when **set up and driven properly**, people tend to hear with 40 year old non functioning units patched on to a old NAD 3020 in the back of junk shop, and then say "they've heard them" though a 3020 WILL get a squeak out of them.

Full 12 pack active they are unrivaled at any price. And a LOT more common than people realise. As is upgrading Briks - but that's a whole new musical vista !

Few have heard them with a brand new full set of Falcon FB139, FB110, and New Hiquphon tweeters, ( far better than the original Kef and Hiquphon units) driven with 400 watts a side from an AA SE400- they shake the very ground. I'll say it again they CAN NOT be beaten at that price IMHO.

Early DMS are a great choice - but as you clearly understand you have to get the drive units replaced as needed and the amps right. - Enjoy ! Briks WILL stun you again if you get the drive right.
A speaker will only reproduce what's fed into it obviously.
Briks reward like no other speaker when provided with the right signal - as you know!

PS. There was a pair of fantastic pair Avondale Audio SE230s in a nice Naim Nap case( no Maim gear was harmed in the construction of this amp ) in New Zealand for sale with an Avondale Grad Pre?
Not sure it's still available.
Thanks so much for taking your time to reply so extensively

They’re rated at 100 watts music and 86 dB with impedance dropping to just under 4 ohms, so, theoretically, you have quite a lot of choice. They are big speakers so I am sure they are capable of handling transients a lot, lot higher than that, and you want to make sure you have enough power so those transients don’t clip and fry any drivers.

At the lower end, on paper, I would have thought a Quad 606 should have plenty of headroom to spare, moving up a big Meridian power amp would also fit the bill, but sound different rather than better, a little further up still you have some of the big modern class D amps and the parasound A21.

All of the above would allow more headroom than the 250 or Klout, which would have been the contemporary dealer reccomendation.

And I’d use a suitably matched passive pre, but that’s just me.
Thanks for the advice

to the OP, if you, apart from available power, liked what the 160 and 250 did, and don't want to give out all the money you have on a power amp, I highly advise you to get a NAD 2200/2600/2700. all 3 are practically the same amp, can be had for as little as £250-400, and outperform, even sonically, both Naims above and mates with the DMS pretty well, power-wise included (there's a lot to read on the net on these, e.g. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/nad-2200-vintage-amplifier-review.13960/). match it with a good pre, like a Harman-Kardon AP2500 (or even its Signature version) with a superb MC/MM phonostage on board, available for £200-300, and you really are done with a system way above in every aspects of Naim. from the remaining money buy me a beer and spend the rest on the family :) . cheers

I changed all the boards in my CB 250 and replaced the originals with Les's NCC200 amp boards and also his power supply boards and the amplifier has no problem running my Briks (from mid 80s). I run the 250 with a 72pre and a Teddy Pardo Teddy cap. You could do the same with your 32.5 or of course there are lots of SH 72s out there at reasonable prices.

I think Klouts sound good with Briks. Of course it takes 3 to get them up and moving. 1 is a little underpowered in my experience.

advertisement

Back