advertisement

Linn/Gilad on The Apprentice

Not sure what's worse, watching the apprentice or thinking that Gilad is a businessman.

Anyone care to summarise Linn’s part in the program? The thought of watching an episode of The Apprentice really doesn’t appeal to me at all!

Anyone care to summarise Linn’s part in the program? The thought of watching an episode of The Apprentice really doesn’t appeal to me at all!

Summarised as 'very little and unfocused' although AS seemed a little reverential in his reference to them - really not worth suffering for. I imagine that some at Linn might now be wondering about any possible negative associations with the founder of Amstrad.

Reactions: mww
It was cringeworthy from a couple of the contestants. I wasn't impressed with GT's comment about making the music sound objectively better.... maybe he means DBT but I doubt it.

The contestants had to supply some art for Linn’s listening room. They had a budget of up to £4,000. In the end Gilard decided not to purchase what they’d sourced. I realise it’s all in the editing, but he came across as being somewhat annoyed. I can’t help wondering if someone had make a comment or two about Amstrad and Sugar.

As ever the contestants were a set of muppets.

Linn have one of the best recording studios in the UK. Anyone who has been to the factory will know what a slick operation Linn is , a very successful company. That can't be done if you are a Muppet.

I’m sure he’s not a complete idiot, but if I were him I’d be livid at the producers cuts and editing as it did not portray him at all well.

Linn have one of the best recording studios in the UK. Anyone who has been to the factory will know what a slick operation Linn is , a very successful company. That can't be done if you are a Muppet.
I don't think anyone is in doubt about Linn's competence, the Muppets are the contestants.

I rarely watch the Apprentice; partly because of the concept of setting people up to fail in a competitive environment; partly because of the aforementioned Muppet's (Imagine how it would be if they selected people who could work together) and mainly because of Mr Amstrad.

I heard they’ve stopped making SACDs now. Don’t know if they’re still recording in multichannel though. They made some good Classical stuff in the past.

Just had a flick through the programme. It was all a bit daft but I guess that should be no surprise.

Agree with IDC about the factory (not visited the studio) - the entire manufacturing side seems very well run and organised - not that I really know much about that sort of thing.

Their listening areas look good but not sure they get the best sound out of the systems, being steel structure with lots of glass and cladding. The system I heard (520s) sounded pretty good though.

Where is Linn’s recording studio? I don’t think they have one at all. They have a record label, but not a studio.

Where is Linn’s recording studio? I don’t think they have one at all. They have a record label, but not a studio.
The first I head of their studio was on a review of an album on HiFi review which explained how high tec Linn studios is. If you go online type in Linn our story from around 1999.

The first I head of their studio was on a review of an album on HiFi review which explained how high tec Linn studios is. If you go online type in Linn our story from around 1999.

I am pretty sure there is no Linn recording studio. They have used Castlesound Studios formerly in Edinburgh and now in Pentcaitland, but often otherwise record on location. By all means prove me wrong and show me a link to their studio. The search you suggested produced nothing. Their recordings are usually very good wherever they are made.

I am pretty sure there is no Linn recording studio. They have used Castlesound Studios formerly in Edinburgh and now in Pentcaitland, but often otherwise record on location. By all means prove me wrong and show me a link to their studio. The search you suggested produced nothing. Their recordings are usually very good wherever they are made.
They’ve invested heavily in classical recording of technical excellence but they’ve also produced some really artistically fine work with corresponding critical acclaim- from the Charles Mackerras/ SCO period through to the Dunedin Consort’s very fine Bach and Handel output with John Butt. I take my hat off to them for that level of commitment.

Have just had a look myself and read a Philips Hobbs interview it would suggest you are correct. I must have picked it up wrongly.

The candidates did not get the idea of great sound and kept talking as the music played which he did not like as he was trying to give them a good dose of bullshit ! He was not exactly helpful in guiding them into what to buy and sure he already made up his mind not to buy from the ignorant in his eyes .If they had also bullshitted him in how wonderful the sound was blah ,blah etc ,he would probably have bought anything !

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that shortly after Ivor handed over the reins Gilad almost ran the company into the ground and Ivor had to step in and recover it.

I think that's why Ivor is still Chairman as a bit of top cover.

That happens a lot unfortunately.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that shortly after Ivor handed over the reins Gilad almost ran the company into the ground and Ivor had to step in and recover it.

I think that's why Ivor is still Chairman as a bit of top cover.

Ivor handed over the management of Linn in the mid 2000s to the then FD and others. The company restructured in February 2007 in order to become financially stable when their leadership failed. They subsequently left to found Simple Audio, which has since folded. Gilad became Linn MD in 2009, having previously been head of engineering.

Iain.

I haven’t watched the apprentice for years but accidentally saw this. It was priceless. Where do they find these people ? The contestants I mean.....even the guys were botoxed!

Having come from the Linn forum, I quite enjoy reading the negative comments. It's been refreshing, although I suppose it could become tiresome if the same people keep repeating the same thing, but that's forums for you - I've repeated myself enough times.

I think it sometimes depends how you've ended up with Linn (or Naim). If it's based on recommendations or theories, and you've not listened to much else, then it could make you a bit insecure. But if you've got Linn/Naim cos you prefer listening to it, then who cares that other people hate it. Less people like Kans = less people trying to outbid me :D

I think we can be very different in what we need out of a hifi and what makes us tick - or maybe I'm just very different :)

<moderating>

The thread was pruned as it had descended into ad hominem. I just took it back to the point it went off topic.

Just watching it now. Loved the bit where the contestants talked right over the dem and Gilad’s face. The art doesn’t seem to be getting any reverence either.

advertisement

Back