advertisement

Linn Axis - Leveling

I fitted some IKEA legs to my Kallax, Eket £10 for a pack of four and you can level them.

Ideal! Thanks chaps - PFM comes to the rescue again :) Much appreciated.

Before anyone else here says -

That green rug has done well!!!

I know there are a few fetishists here!! :)

Haha! I would post a picture of the room now but sadly it's a lot less photogenic. I really do need to clear some stuff out (or move to a bigger house :D )

Lefty

Could be worth doing a bodge with card/washers/beer mats to see how much adjustment you need before splashing the cash.

When the Linn dealer set up my LP12 it was bits of fold paper to level it up. I ended up fitting a Trampolin. Not much difference.

The large Pozidriv screws within the three Axis feet both support and provide for levelling adjustment of the top plate relative to the plinth.

As the feet are rather larger in diameter than is typical (in order to accommodate the suspension diaphragms), standard round beer mats, plus some fine adjustment via stacked pieces of thin card cut to the same diameter, should get you there.

Droop.

Set well in from the ends, you should be OK - the Kallax design is good. Just bear in mind droop.

As said, to protect against droop.

Good point - I hadn't considered that!

I knew it was dangerous posting in the audio room - I am now thinking about re-organising my room and re-instating the Quadraspire rack and possibly even upgrading the TT :D

I'll have a shift around today and see what can be done...

Lefty

The Kallax construction method is actually old-fashioned but sound. I'd be surprised if it bowed/drooped due to the weight of the deck on top. Load anything inside the Kallax reasonably evenly and I am pretty sure that it'd be fine.

@amazement seems to have got on fine with the idea.

It's an interesting subject. When our son left home, it left a small bedroom that I could use as a home office. It was only a matter of time before I installed a hi-fi in there; I had loads of unused/spare bits of equipment that I could use. The only thing I had to buy, was a cd player and I chose the Cambridge CXC because I could use it with an existing DAC. As the room is so small, I've had to be inventive in how it's set up, but it's worked out ok. The only thing is, that, unsurprisingly, I've introduced improvements when I've thought of them, like the Norton AirPower that was sitting around. I tried it on the Linn and liked it, so I had to find room for it! Initially, it was plonked on the adjacent desk, but there was no way that it could stay there. Luckily, I have spur shelving in that room and I have loads of spare brackets, so it didn't take long to put in a new shelf. I've tried to keep it neat, but at the same time making sure that it is set up as close to optimum as I can. There's lots of equipment in there, with the hi-fi, laptop, monitor, record cleaning machine etc. and it all needs a supply to plug into. I fitted a 3-gang wall socket, with an ordinary run of the mill four way mains extension for the computer peripherals and RCM, a 6-way star wired block for the hi-fi, and another ordinary 4-way extension for charging phones iPad etc. into the third socket. The Linn is on a Mana Reference shelf. The point of this, is that it often takes a bit of ingenuity to fit everything in, but it’s worth the effort in the end!

I’ve had my Kallax for about six months and can confirm no droop and it has about 100 vinyl records in the shelf and a nap140 and a phono stage, Innuos, Atom and 1210 GR.

You can adjust the base plate level using the screws in the feet of the Axis.
I did buy some adjustable plastic feet for my Kallax units a while back - they seemed flimsy, but once the weight of the units stood in them, they became sturdy and pretty good. I’ll try and find a link to them - they’re not as tall as the IKEA add-on feet.
I’d be inclined to use the adjustable feet to level the kallax, then fine tune the level using the Axis foot screws.

Edit: found a link to a similar item: Set of 4 x SO-TECH® Furniture Foot Golf III Ø 50 mm Slide Foot Sofa Foot Levelling Foot Furniture Slider Black Adjustable https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XG9Q3Z9/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Linn Axis has 3 feet. I had one for years. I used a spirit level on the platter and put pieces of card under whichever foot it was that needed lifting up. Simple but effective, & the location of the feet is such that you can't see the card once it's in place. Doesnt the simple but effective approach work in this instance?

I used to use a pile of 2p coins to level my LP12.

Our house, at that time, dated back to Georgian times and had little or no foundations. The floor in my room sloped so much I needed two piles of 6 2p coins to level it from front to back!!

Total cost in my case 24p.

advertisement

Back