advertisement

Linn AV5103 question

Linnovice

pfm Member
Hi all, I have a Linn AV5103 which I am extremely happy with, apart from two things. One, it’s an early model with the green screen which, as seems to be normal, it’s very dim. Can’t be read more than 18” away. Two, it has a good onboard DAC but it can’t handle high res files. 44/16 are fine, anything over that won’t play.
I only use it as a stereo pre-amp and it sounds superb. I have read that the later model has a blue screen which is brighter. I’m wondering whether it would process the higher res files as well. I don’t want to change and stand still so any advice and/or pointers would be very welcome.

Hi Chris, yes I have checked that. It is set on bright. It is odd though. When going through the set up routines the display brightens up. As soon as I exit the setup it dims down again.

Are you making sure you set the "Save Settings" to "Yes" before you exit the setup?

Otherwise your changes will just be reverted to what they were before you entered setup.

Chris

Hi, yes absolutely sure. It is odd. Linn couldn’t explain it either. Must be something in how a chip is set.

There is a light sensor to brighten or dim the display, should activate if you cast a shadow on the screen, at least mine does (also an early model).

Mine is not sensitive to light. If I set it to dim it darkens, if I set to bright it lightens. Obvious. But when I go into setup it brightens considerably. There must be something/setting which darkens it again when exiting the setup routine. It seems there’s a programming fault on one of the chips?

advertisement

Back