advertisement

Linn Arko

While Alun is right as ever, I would guess that you are some way from exhausting the potential of your Adikt. Of all proponents, Linn is most closely associated with the source-first strategy for improving vinyl reproduction. I would advise you to do a lot of turntable research before spending hundreds or thousands on a tasty MC cartridge.

The new Arko sees Linn returning to the fundamentals of arm design. They have removed all the unnecessary frills and concentrated on the mission-critical elements of tonearm design. This new design features an ultra-stable gimbal platform which facilitates superb bearing concentricity and alignment, together with machined and cold-drawn 7075-grade aluminum for the headshell, wand assembly and gimbal. Linn says that “the resultant material synergy and coupling effectively banishing undesirable resonances away from the delicate generator, and out through the sub-chassis”.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz............... Heard it all before........ (didn't they say the exact same thing about the Akito)?

Out to where through the sub-chassis?
Away from the delicate generator to the subchassis. From there, I’m not sure as the subchassis is pretty well isolated from the top plate and plinth. It makes sense that the better Linn subchassis from the Majik to Kore to Keel do that better.

I’ve read it said that the top plate does a similar thing for vibrations from the motor.

Last edited:
I have just had the Arko tonearm fitted to my LP12 along with the Kore upgrade.

The arm replaced the Pro-Ject 9 arm which came with my Majik level deck on purchase some 5 years ago. I've also over the years had Trampolinn, Karousel and Lingo 4 fitted but I still have the Adikt MM cartridge from then - still ok according to dealer's microscope.

Impressions - the Arko looks great and feels much better engineered than the Pro-Ject - the record lift and drop is very precise, damped and the anti-skate doesn't involve the fishing line and weight malarkey.

There is a plastic arm rest/clip which is quite tight - it requires slightly more force to release it from he clip than I would like but that's the only negative I have. This will presumably loosen off with use.

On sound - - well there is a huge uplift in sound quality - fewer pops and crackles, better bass retrieval, more cohesive music presentation - tremendous rendering of voices and acoustic instruments - although having had Kore fitted at the same time it's difficult to know which part contributes what to the improvement.

My dealer - Robbie Ritchie in Montrose - has sold quite a few he tells me - either replacing older Ittoks with bearing trouble or upgrading Akitos. Thanks to Robbie for collecting my LP12 and returning it and installing it - an hours drive each way!

I guess I am just about at Selekt level ( formerly Akurate) now except for MC cartridge but I will stick where I am until the Adikt needs replacing.

Robert Ritchie in Montrose used to be my dealer, Robbie is a great guy too and Robert's home system was awesome!

They have removed all the unnecessary frills
It looks very industrial now. Aesthetics are an important part of hifi for me. If I were sitting on £3000 I would find the extra £1500 for the Ekos SE. However, neither are likely to replace my Ittok.

The late Derek Jenkins……much missed.

Watch at 1 minute and 15 seconds. That would be the arm for me if I ever got another LP12….

I agree. £3000 is a lot for a second tier tone-arm. Expensive Linn turntable upgrades are partly about the reassurance that Linn says you can't do better than this. Clearly Linn are not saying that here. The price margin between Arko and Ekos is getting close to the depreciation involved in upgrading from Arko to Ekos, so why not just wait a little longer for an Ekos? I wonder if the Ekos 4 or a hefty Ekos price rise are imminent.

I think these arms are a bit legacy, and I would say this, but if you're contemplating spending multiple thousands on a second tier arm, you owe it to yourself to have a good look around at some of the other arms out there, whether it be Rega, Well Tempered, Kuzma or something more radical ;-)

I will always regret that Derek died before I devised my device. I have happy memories of chewing the cud and scavenging fags off him at various dealerships and at his flat where I heard the Brinkmann Bardo for the first time. A very nice man indeed. He always listened, never put on any sales pressure, and was determined to let you make up your own mind. A gent. God rest his soul.

I will always regret that Derek died before I devised my device. I have happy memories of chewing the cud and scavenging fags off him at various dealerships and at his flat where I heard the Brinkmann Bardo for the first time. A very nice man indeed. He always listened, never put on any sales pressure, and was determined to let you make up your own mind. A gent. God rest his soul.
I knew Derek quite well over a decade, he was always such a lovely man. Last saw him purely by chance only a few weeks before he departed, literally bumped into him in the street, and he was so pleased to see me. We made loose plans to meet up again soon. We will have that Koetsu chat one day Derek....

Robert Ritchie in Montrose used to be my dealer, Robbie is a great guy too and Robert's home system was awesome!

I used to deal with Robert himself but he is mainly retired now. He was in the shop a couple of weeks ago when I was last in. Robbie is doing a great job in the family tradition!

PS the arm is still sounding great!

The late Derek Jenkins……much missed.

Watch at 1 minute and 15 seconds. That would be the arm for me if I ever got another LP12….
I think Derek would have also recommended sticking to the upgrade hierarchy and going for either of his top plates developed for the LP12, Khan or Karmen before considering a tonearm change. Here’s a bit about the Karmen:

In comparison to the standard top plate, the Karmen brings greater musicality and flow, improved dynamics, deeper, better-defined bass and maintains the LP12’s impeccable timing. All this coupled with an incredibly quiet background makes for a more realistic and engaging performance and, as many of our customers tell us, represents a serious upgrade to the Linn Sondek LP12.

In comparison to the standard top plate, the Karmen brings greater musicality and flow, improved dynamics, deeper, better-defined bass
WTF is the standard plate made of must ring like a Zildjian

50years of evolution ! glue two sheets together

Dont forget the fancy Blurb with a K prefix
KCLD Constrained Layer Damping These dampers are specially selected thin layers of stiff Aluminium laminated to a visco-elastic polymer
KCLD Linn Engineers and designers are often looking to increase Price & reduce the weight of their components to increase performance and efficiency.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz............... Heard it all before........ (didn't they say the exact same thing about the Akito)?

Well probably but doesn't everyone? Revolutionary new designs are rare and main stream manufacturers consider factors other than raw performance. Reliability, usability etc so improvement is mostly incremental and along similar paths to the ones trod before.

Revolutionary new designs are rare

5 years of laborious R & D The essence, heart and soul of the SAFIR 9 tonearm is an extremely rigid, conical arm tube made out of sapphire – the first of the kind and the first implementation of the precious stone for this purpose.

SAFIR-9-PRESS-RELEASE-220317.jpg

The unique vertical and horizontal pivoting motion is provided by non-rotating fine Kevlar fibre. The result is the first truly ‘noiseless’ and stiction-free tonearm bearing.
The main counterweight is articulated in the vertical and horizontal planes through precision ball race bearings. To ensure accurate tracking even on warped records.
For ideal rigidity, the arm tube & head shell are machined from solid titanium then fuse welded to form a homogenous component.

Anti-skate force is applied using microns thick non-resonant, frictionless silicone polymer strip with gradual magnetic componsator.

Unique Transit Clamping System allows secure transportation keeping the arm/cartridge safe and perfectly setup. In addition, the UTCS ensures exact performance after shipment and reinstallation. The use of the clamp also assists with mounting the cartridge safely and precisely.
Vertere_Reference-Tonearm-1495.jpg

TA01-topview-1536x1204.jpg

819thales.promo_.jpg

blob

award-winning-design.php

Vertere-dg1s-record-player-hifi-news-july-2022-4.jpg

DSC04263-1024x683.jpeg

advertisement

Back