advertisement

Lingo IEC filter removal

ericpike

Forgive me, but I'm having terrible luck finding the Lingo IEC filter removal guide. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks!

There used to be a writeup on John S (Naim forum) on bubwub.com, but it seems to have disapeared.

I've still some pics on the interweb somewhere, from when I performed the surgery on mine.

I'll string it together and put it up here in a few days - perhaps some collaboration with Andy Weekes would net a great finished article. perhaps if it makes the grade we'll post it more permanantly on PFM.

Rico

there used to have a thread called "the evil within" or sthing similar on the naim forum, but it seems having diappeared as well!

may be Andrew L. Weekes knows more. I should have downloaded the mods :mad: when I had linn amps. Now that I have naims, it could be of use.

Jean-Christophe

there used to have a thread called "the evil within" or sthing similar on the naim forum, but it seems having diappeared as well!

Yes, strangely it didn't make it to the new forum, even though lots of references to it did!

Gone forever it seems, but we can ressurect it here, I'm sure.

Do you have a Lingo 1 or 2?

Andy.

Thanks Andy. I have a Lingo 1.

Jean-Christophe: I've followed the same path as you. I started with Linn (5103, Klouts Aktiv Kabers), but have since switched to Naim (102, 180, SBLs). I'm curious how Kabers would sound in my Naim system. Did you keep yours, or did you switch to Kans?

Did you keep yours, or did you switch to Kans?

Erick
I use the kans in the system, but have kept my kabers, since I need to have music in the lounge.
you can email me : jc dot rault at wanadoo dot fr for further discussion (e.g. what triggered your linn to naim change)

By the way, I should set up my 72 HC 250 system in a few days.
Once properly set up I may try again the kabers, but I am really afraid they are hiding the music much more than kans (bass excepted).

Jean-Christophe

epike, yeah we've found the pictures.

Andy and I are working on a Lingo 1 and Lingo 2 IEC filter removal "how to". It'll take us a couple of weeks or so, as we're both personally busy. It will go on the PFM main site when completed. Hang in there, we'll get it done.

Will post on this thread with updates.

cheers

Rico

Hi all.
I have a Lingo 1 and wonder whether I would get anything from doing the IEC filter removal thing. A couple of questions that you fine folks might be able to answer:

• Is the IEC-removal mod only relevant i relation to Naim gear? I have read that one must use a special Lingo cord if one has Naim amps and a 'normal' one if not. Something to do with Naims star-earthing scheme
  • Is the mod only relevant for the UK? In my country we don't use earth directly but instead a so called 'error current detection relay' (HFI). There is only earth on heavy duty (three phase) equipment
I have not noticed any degration of the sound since getting the Lingo. Quite on the contrary. It is running of a separate spur though.

Thanks for any input.

Is the IEC-removal mod only relevant i relation to Naim gear? I have read that one must use a special Lingo cord if one has Naim amps and a 'normal' one if not. Something to do with Naims star-earthing scheme

I've had a Lingo 1 for about 6 years, for most of this time it was used with a 72 - Hi-Cap - Nap 90 with no problems at all. About 2 years ago the 90 blew an output transistor and was replaced with an Avondale A260z, again with no problems with the Lingo.

Within the last few weeks I've just finished adapting my 72 to accept 5 separate 24v lines from 5 APX reg boards, each board powered by its own transformer and again, there is no difference to the sound from my Tuner (Quad FM4) or CD (Arcam CD62 - Phillips 840) with the Lingo unplugged.

Regarding earthing, in a Valhalla LP12 the mains earth connects directly to the deck, so the tone arm earth could be connected to the P clip bolt at the rear of the LP12. With the Lingo there is no direct mains earth connection within the turntable so the arm has to be earthed to the pre amp as well as the deck.

Hi Basil (faulty?)

could you elaborate on the mods you did to your 72?
what have you done, and how do you power it now?

and of course, what does it sound like?

thanks

Jean-Christophe

Jean-Christophe,

A full description of the changes made to my 72 can be found in This thread and This thread

There are pictures too!

The APX regulator boards are from Avondale Audio and each board is powered by its own transformer.

As to what it sounds like, stunning, simply stunning. Every Record and CD I've played sounds as if it’s been re-mastered, even old recordings I'd given up on have been transformed. An example of this is Karajan's early (1981) digital recording of the Sibelius first symphony, with the volume set so the opening Clarinet solo is barely audible, the Timpani in the later movements shakes the room. But there's so much more than better "HiFi", I've never been that keen on Bruckner, but for some reason I played a couple of his symphonies and thought "hmmm, this is pretty good" Bruckners music was suddenly making more sense to me.

I could go on, but as this has little to do with modifying Lingoes I'll not take this thread hi-jack any further!

thanks Basil for the info.

I have rapidly read the thread, however, feel not able at that stage to really get all the work to do.
By the way I have an Hicap to power the 72, and I use the phono input without phono boards but with NA326 boards (simple connecting boards which don't need to be powered as there is no component on them).
In that condition, what should I do in your opinion to improve the sound of my 72?
I have 2 sources connected to the 72: a LP12/linto on the phono input (using bypassung Na326 boards) and an Ikemi CD player on the CD input.
No tape no tuner.

Thanks
Jean-Christophe

Originally posted by tof
thanks Basil for the info.

I have rapidly read the thread, however, feel not able at that stage to really get all the work to do.
By the way I have an Hicap to power the 72, and I use the phono input without phono boards but with NA326 boards (simple connecting boards which don't need to be powered as there is no component on them).
In that condition, what should I do in your opinion to improve the sound of my 72?
I have 2 sources connected to the 72: a LP12/linto on the phono input (using bypassung Na326 boards) and an Ikemi CD player on the CD input.
No tape no tuner.

Thanks
Jean-Christophe

Jean-Christophe,

Which board is fitted on the CD input, is it the NA328 variable or the NA236?

Basil,

On the phono input I use NA326 boards (since I have an external phono preamplifier). I know the board references since I had to buy one pair and set them up.
On the CD input, I am afraid I don't know which boards are used. I will check tonight and provide you with the answer tomorrow.

Many thanks

Jean-Christophe

hi Basil,
I have checked the inside of my 72:

close to the rear panel, from right to left
I have 2 NA324 boards, 2 NA326 boards on the phono input,
no boards apparently on the CD input, then 1 NA325 board

close to the front panel:
2 NA729 boards and 2 NA321 boards

thanks

Jean-Christophe
PS: I have tride to attach a picture, but it is too big (115k).
I can email it to you if you want.

advertisement

Back