advertisement

Lingo 4 motor noise

I don’t know if Linn still make it but they used to do a very accurate strobe disc and accompanying strobe. At the time this was a dealer item but perhaps it has become available to the public...

edit: A bit of Google searching later and I see Cymbiosis (and I assume others) sell Linn’s strobe disc. However, you will also need a 300Hz strobe to go with it - small LED items are a available from a number of eBay sellers.

does make sense that measuring more frequently could give you better control but does it deliver that?
I thought the Lingo 4 and Radikal speed control (using marker on platter) was designed to counteract broad speed drift over time, not micro speed instability that's happening every few seconds, or sub-second. This was discussed on the forum a few months ago and I forget the correct terminology of these things.

I thought the Lingo 4 and Radikal speed control (using marker on platter) was designed to counteract broad speed drift over time, not micro speed instability that's happening every few seconds, or sub-second. This was discussed on the forum a few months ago and I forget the correct terminology of these things.
I would assume that is true, rapid big changes in speed would surely be a bad idea, equally if you have to wait one rev to even see what the speed is you have to wait longer compared to measuring it more frequently. How does the Radikal measure speed does anybody know? Is that a once per rev too?

Yes, once per rev.

The actual sensing equipment, and method, appears to be the same with the Lingo 4 and the Radikal.

So, HiFi af, did the Lingo 4 motor ever quiet down to acceptable levels? I consider the "knocking" noise it made on first posting your video totally unacceptable. My concern is that you really didn't want it to make a noise so your brain gradually filtered it out (psychoacoustics). In other words, it didn't go away at all?

advertisement

Back