advertisement

Lingo 4 motor noise

I did, but it didn’t make extra noises while I did. For the motor to “run in” and noise to disappear it suggests something needs to wear away. To make a noise suggests it’s also causing vibration, the very thing we are trying to reduce. How long after you can’t hear a noise has the vibration stopped? When is peak performance achieved?
As an engineer I wouldn’t want to release something like that.

Have you tried (gently) pulling and pushing the motor spindle a few times to see if it settles? On older motors it worked.

When you buy a new car do you observe the instructions for running it in?

lol, it's not 1961. There is no "running in", they've all been thrashed on the factory roll road during brake test and then thrashed around the site from line end to park up. By all means run it in if it makes you feel any better.

I can see this from many sides.

If I was Linn, I wouldn’t people bypassing my dealer network, buying second hand items of uncertain provenance, installing relatively complex parts without training, and then complaining to me about it (as well as on public forums) when something goes wrong.

If I was my local dealer, I wouldn’t want someone bypassing my service and expertise and then asking me to clean up the mess.

Of course, I’m me. I want to save a little money, do the work myself and learn a bit about my turntable — and not have to pay an arm and a leg to diagnose and correct what appears to be a legitimate concern.

How long after you can’t hear a noise has the vibration stopped? When is peak performance achieved?

This is what will bother me. The sound is now so faint I probably wouldn’t have noticed it if it had been like this initially — or definitely not fixated on it like I now am. But if it does become inaudible, I’ll start wondering about stethoscopes :)

lol, it's not 1961. There is no "running in", they've all been thrashed on the factory roll road during brake test and then thrashed around the site from line end to park up. By all means run it in if it makes you feel any better.
I opted for the scenic route home and a damn good blast when I picked up my new car, jolly good fun it was too, from Portland to North Devon via the coastal road and back lanes, no harm done, no need to run it in.

Last edited:
Comparing a 12V electric motor to a car is possibly the weakest analogy I’ve ever heard - utter nonsense in fact.

Comparing a 12V electric motor to a car is possibly the weakest analogy I’ve ever heard - utter nonsense in fact.

the analogy I was alluding to involved instructions not cars. I’m sorry this illuded you. The point being that if a manufacturer specifically requires their trained and qualified personnel to install equipment for it to qualify for a guarantee you’re a arse to ignore it. And a bigger arse to then publicly complain. But to buy an item that’s clearly been passed from pillar to post internationally and then installed by unqualified untrained amateur, that’s a special level of arsery.

I’m sorry this illuded you.

What’s actually the funniest is that you think the relevance of comparing instruction manuals across entirely irrelevant platforms is a better analogy than the mechanisms they refer to!

Anyway, ignore function back on on problem solved :).

For the record, I’m pretty sure I installed it absolutely correctly, except for the non-level speed sensor (and that was because of my “non-compatible” top plate). Installing it really was not that difficult or complicated.

Arse that I am, I’m actually a little proud of myself for having potentially identified an issue with the product that would have been hard to spot in dealer installations.

It seems the noise has more or less leveled off. It’s quiet, but I can still hear it, and it doesn’t seem to be getting any quieter. It’s been running almost constantly for two weeks now. I’m about to go on vacation for two weeks. I’ll leave it running and we’ll see how things stand when I'm back.

If there is still noise after a full month of continuous use, I’ll be interested to hear any ideas about greasing, repacking, repairing. Since no warranty applies, and since it seems it will cost me more to have the motor replaced by the official Linn channels than it cost me to buy the entire Lingo 4 kit, I don’t have much to lose.

Last edited:
I am sure I will not be the only one to say is hard to know what to make of a review of something you concede may well not be working at its best, I have sympathy with you ploughing on regardless and I still appreciate you posting your findings, better luck with the rest of your voyage in LP12 modification land?

I might suggest your initial findings that the Lingo 4 was a good improvement, when you know it may not have been speed controlling correctly, might just be because it was running a little fast which can sound exciting. With the speed control running correctly it might then be running a little slower, closer to spot on and stuff might seem a little dull in comparison but actually be more correct. I am not saying this is the reason, just suggesting it is a possible reason for your experience. Did you take any speed measurements?

Did you take any speed measurements?

I haven't — and I don't have anything for measuring speed. What would you recommend? Something strobe-based?

Incidentally, I've been corresponding a bit with Edmund from Mober, who is dubious about the Lingo 4 speed sensor. He says that any 50 hz AC motor with a 20mm pulley will turn at 33.3 rpm; that no electronic adjustment is required for AC motors, only for DC, which are so sensitive to small changes in voltage. He's also dubious about Linn's use of a single marker on the platter that only provides feedback once every 1.8 seconds, versus his own 16-point system. I have no horse in the race, and definitely no technical expertise to unpack any of this, but it would be interesting to see if there is any difference in speed between the Lingo 4 when it's "locked on" (dim LED) and when it's not (for instance, with the felt pad removed).

It seems my Lingo 4 motor may have gotten a little quieter today. I'm really straining to hear the "ticking" at all. Based on your suggestion @vicdiaz I did a little more "massaging" of the motor, which may have helped...

I suppose a strobe yes, I know there are phone apps but loading the platter with the weight of your phone will effect the speed perhaps and who knows how accurately the gyros in your phone have been calibrated, in an iPhone probably quite, in a cheapo Android, possibly not at all. Equally if you have only a phone then it is a measurement you could repeat and compare and if it is consistent draw some conclusion from.

I don't doubt Edmund but then all Engineers think their solutions are best :p it does make sense that measuring more frequently could give you better control but does it deliver that? I think that is another question.

I suspect sq may have some suggestions on measurements???

advertisement

Back