advertisement

Linear PSU for NAS & Router

This old person has two rPis. Based on the belief of others that a Linear Power Supply would produce audible benefits I purchased one. The SMPS did not make any audible sounds suggesting fault. Swapping the power supplies over does not make any difference to the rPis musical sound.

Both have i2s IQAudio DACs

A friend of mine just bought a Dac with an external smps. He’s thinking of tryin one of those Illegal linear supplies. I’ll be sure to compare both.

No dog at all here, and I'm not going to use the 'F' word, but I must admit to having a wee tilt of the head while reconciling streaming compressed audio through various cables using routers and a NAC through USB and all the other accoutrement required, only to now read that it's an aftermarket PSU that breathes new life into whatever soundstage is hidden in all of that. Praise be.

Unfortunately that seems to be the way the older folk work, to stubborn to be proven wrong.

If you offer to lend someone a PSU for them to try, and they decline, then perhaps you could accuse them of being resistant or even stubborn. But what is being proposed on this thread is that folk spend £40 on a power supply made by someone no one has ever heard of, that cannot be returned economically, and that in any case can only be claimed to make an improvement to a particular NAS/DAC that no one else has. So maybe it is just sensible to hang on to the £40.

If you offer to lend someone a PSU for them to try, and they decline, then perhaps you could accuse them of being resistant or even stubborn. But what is being proposed on this thread is that folk spend £40 on a power supply made by someone no one has ever heard of, that cannot be returned economically, and that in any case can only be claimed to make an improvement to a particular NAS/DAC that no one else has. So maybe it is just sensible to hang on to the £40.

It’s upto each person how they spend their £40, but when the aim of the Hifi game is to get the best sound possible and the best from your equipment, risking a mere £40 when others say they gained something sounds ok to me. Most electronic stuff comes from China anyway, so provided the workmanship looks good inside, I wouldn’t worry about a brand name.

It’s upto each person how they spend their £40, but when the aim of the Hifi game is to get the best sound possible and the best from your equipment, risking a mere £40 when others say they gained something sounds ok to me. Most electronic stuff comes from China anyway, so provided the workmanship looks good inside, I wouldn’t worry about a brand name.

"Risking a mere £40"? As an attempt at establishing a general rule of conduct (which is what you do, despite adding the ambiguous "sounds ok to me"), I find this deeply offensive. I have no opinion on anything else discussed in this thread.

Boy you guys sure do have trouble with anything beyond your own unfounded self belief systems, do any of you wonder why over the last few years the participators of PFM have dwindled?
I personally thought such keyboard warrior attitudes were the domains of teenagers..... and before someone starts up with the twaddle of sudo objective bollox, please go forth and multiply.

Enough, time to give up....

"Risking a mere £40"? As an attempt at establishing a general rule of conduct (which is what you do, despite adding the ambiguous "sounds ok to me"), I find this deeply offensive. I have no opinion on anything else discussed in this thread.

Why do you find spending £40 offensive...?

I don't think the numbers on PFM have dwindled because of the belief in known science as opposed to magic. Frankly I can't imagine where they've fled to, other than the grave.

If your NAS/Router is connected to your DAC via USB, then fair enough, that's signal with power, a quieter supply may be beneficial.

If it's connected with ethernet then I don't see a mechanism for improvement, not unless you've binned a SMPS to use the new linear psu, and other parts of your system are easily affected by HF noise puked back into the mains from a crappy smps.

Obviously we put man on the moon, invented the computer, MRI scanner etc etc through belief, faith and subjectivity and science, maths, electronics, expertise had nothing to do with it:rolleyes:

If you were to make a list of all the things it might be worth spending £69 on for your hifi, how near the top would this be? And bear in mind that anything you buy from the EU comes with the right to a refund, not to mention a CE certificate and a vendor with some track record.

I’m sorry if you found that deeply offensive, but if that is the case, you should get out more.

I’m sorry if you found that deeply offensive, but if that is the case, you should get out more.

It’s £69 delivered. Guy bought it because he had an obviously crap NAS with a chirruping power supply. Not all of us have a NAS, let alone a crap one, not all of us connect our router to our hi-fi with a wire, virtually none of us have the o/p’s DAC, the one thing that most of us do share with the o/p is that we know next to nothing about electronics, or even power supply design. There are some extremely talented designers that say SMPS can be better than linear power supplies. Why is there any need to slag people off for being old or having unfounded self-belief systems or stuck in their ways or whatever because they don’t immediately leap up and lay out £69 for what is probably yet another of the o/p’s transient enthusiasms. Wasn’t it preposterously expensive speaker cable a few weeks ago ago? So sorry I didn’t buy any of that either. Good luck to those who did.

These forums are about sharing information and personal findings from using various pieces of equipment. The rocket scientists on here are the first to come along and slag and offend(when anything is mentioned that they’ve not read in a text book) I’ve experienced it fist hand on several occasions here.
I’m not suggesting anyone goes out and spends any money, I’m just saying it’s worth a go if someone has a device that can be upgraded in this way on the cheap. Would people go and spend £40 on a fancy bottle of whiskey because they heard or read it tastes good? Of course they would and this is the same thing.

advertisement

Back