Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Line stage pre amplifier

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by dazz lee, Jan 23, 2023.

1. dazz lee

dazz lee Member

Does anyone design make supply any on here ? or have decent one to sell, like a Grad one ? or recommend one. Cheers Daz . Feel free to pm .

2. jpk

jpk pfm Member

I have some boards left from my starfish project, see here! PM me if you are interested.

3. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson Lovely!

I'm planning a pre-amp build using components from Neurochrome, with their Universal Buffer as a key component. It might do what you need.

The nice thing about this module is that it can support balanced or unbalanced connections (including converting between them).

FYI, I'm powering it with their Preamp Power Supply.

4. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

I have a B4 which has unity gain and sounds lovely to my ears.

[​IMG]IMG_20200525_195614 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

It's built into a NAC 42.5 case with a separate PSU.

337alant and Mike Hanson like this.
  5. laverda

laverda pfm Member

Something different to consider if you have the DIY skills if not just skip past this post.

Korg Nu-Tube pre, sounds very good, powered by a 'wall wart' and there's a complete step by step build guide.

[​IMG]

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/newest-releases/products/korg-nutube-b1

and another..the Noir

Though designed as a HPA it works very well as line level pre amp and again a nice build guide and lots of info on the DIYaudio web site.

[​IMG]

https://diyaudiostore.com/collectio...ir-headphone-amplifier?variant=30182425526306

337alant likes this.
  6. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Make yourself a Croft clone - no need for any boards, all tag strip.

Several of the countless different circuits used by Glenn are available online.

7. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Grad one not 'decent'.. IMHO

What do you want to achieve? Unity gain, or tons of gain? How many inputs? Valves, or SS?

8. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

I have a couple of B4 boards as well, you can have one if you want to build from scratch

Alan

9. 337alant

My B4
    [​IMG]B4 Pre by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan

chiily, Mike Hanson and martin clark like this.
  10. jpk

jpk pfm Member

Nice! Which Talema transformer did you use?

11. 337alant

Can't remember, I will have a look tomorrow as its still sitting on a rack in my old workshop, think its either 2 x 0-18V or 2 x 0-22V
    Alan

jpk likes this.
  12. jpk

jpk pfm Member

...and please let us know the VA rating as well!

13. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

I do like that build, very neat.

337alant likes this.
  14. PigletsDad

PigletsDad My intelligence test came back negative.

Anything will do - it only draws about 10mA per channel, so even 1VA would work. Transformers don't get much cheaper below say 10VA, so that would be a sensible size, but if you have some other size in the parts drawer, or see a bargain, it really doesn't matter. Bigger does little harm, but is a waste of money.

The little blue encapsulated toroids come in 7VA and 5VA sizes, either would be fine.

I agree, that is a very tidy build.