advertisement

Line of Duty

Andrew C!

Been around a while....
For those interested, and having an opinion on police practice, IMV the advisors to Line of Duty seem to know their stuff.

The opening armed robbery is such an example...

I liked that the continuity announcer at the end explained what CHIS means. They certainly went for it on the jargon last night! Great TV though.

Weird placelessness about it, given it’s very obviously filmed in Belfast. All the different accents, but it’s not London. And the police station looks like a conference centre.

All part of the charm, as is Adrian Dunbar’s hamminess. Mother of God!

Yes the first series was partially filmed at my son's old school in Edgbaston, very gripping and love to watch them , series 5 is on the birthday list

There are holes in the interview scenes, factually. But the firearms issuing etc isn’t far off.

Mrs C suggested I watch it to see how many holes I could find in it;):(

Rewatch the first 10 minutes with subtitles on...that script must be been a nightmare to learn. We nearly bailed at 10 min tbh, so clunky and that cpr outside the bookies was pants. It got better but dear me it's full of cliches.

I’m sure it’ll be excellent as the previous series were but there was most certainly jargon overload in the first episode. I got through it but used google on a couple of occasions!

The whole lot of it has been wooden acting and dodgy scripts from the start, I don't get the hype. I'll let the young bloke off with his acting as it must take some effort to act with an accent.

I thought it was all Brum based.

You are all forgetting..
We all like our coppers to be pure as the driven snow while we bend all the rules. It's a fantasy which makes us feel good.. Even the CHISs.. if they live long enough...

Adrian Dunbar is a mix of awful acting, priceless naivety and intense integrity.

I think I've only seen two series previously. The first one to grab me was the one with Thandi Newton. She can grab me anytime.

My current fave is Series 1 of 'Keeping Faith'... which I obviously missed first time around. Already a neighbour has put some doubts in my mind.. kind of 'non spoiler spoilers' IYSWIM..

I don’t get the hype either. ‘Unforgotten’ is much better IMO.

I do, it's nonsense TV, but good fun all the same. If you want to approach it with the attitude of picking holes in it why bother watching it? It's just entertainment and if it were completely realistic no one would bother watching it.

However good shout out for Unforgotten, series 2 was especially powerful.

Mrs C loves it, but it’s still a ‘busman's holiday’ holiday for her, as she’s a dispatch manager for the police:rolleyes:

I tend to focus in on the errors in process, but then I would, wouldn’t i?:p

I have to gain the brownie points by watching some things I could take or leave, to then have that reciprocated.

The irony is the anti-corruption unit does do some very good integrity work.

Mrs C loves it, but it’s still a ‘busman's holiday’ holiday for her, as she’s a dispatch manager for the police:rolleyes:

I tend to focus in on the errors in process, but then I would, wouldn’t i?:p

Yes, given your career I think that's only natural, but what amuses me is these sort of shows seem to have an armchair expert type of approach from many with little or no knowledge of the police procedures who then criticise them heavily yet in order to so they are obviously watching them. As an ex IT professional the portrayal of hackers and IT experts in most TV shows/movies is beyond laughable (I love how a hacker always gets a huge ACCESS GRANTED message on the screen... always meant to build a system that did that, but never got round to it), but I try and not let it spoil the overall show however annoying it might be.

Yes, given your career I think that's only natural, but what amuses me is these sort of shows seem to have an armchair expert type of approach from many with little or no knowledge of the police procedures who then criticise them heavily yet in order to so they are obviously watching them. As an ex IT professional the portrayal of hackers and IT experts in most TV shows/movies is beyond laughable (I love how a hacker always gets a huge ACCESS GRANTED message on the screen... always meant to build a system that did that, but never got round to it), but I try and not let it spoil the overall show however annoying it might be.

I wasn't criticising it from a Police technical POV, I've no idea how it stands up there nor really care as I don't expect shows like that to nail authenticity to the process as in reality it would then become tediously boring.

From an acting and scripting POV though it's not exactly The Wire is it? The way people drone on about it it's like Tinker Tailor or something, it's barely any better than The Bill lol.

advertisement

Back