advertisement

Life Before Death

The closeness between the times is quite disturbing, i.e. "Hey dad, the photographer of death is here to take your picture...". I found them a quite remarkable and moving series of images to be honest, something that will leave an impression.

Tony.

there is really something really, really psychologically wrong with you brits. these pictures are repulsive and offensive in just about every way. what possible point could there be other than for the photographer to declare how cool and original he is with this most sick and deviant voyeurism. i made the mistake of looking at a couple of pictures without understanding what it was about and i now feel disgusting, as if i had violated these people. those of you who figure this is OK, but that viewing a nude human girl needs to be guarded against should have a close f*cking look at yourselves.

vuk.

there is really something really, really psychologically wrong with you brits. these pictures are repulsive and offensive in just about every way.

Hey, we've always known this - I have a female friend who was taking high resolution pictures of her dead father a few years ago.

In all the pointless billions of shots being made, I thought it was amazing to see work that still made you think. There's no issue of voyeurism - these were made with the full consent of the sitters, who wanted to make their personal statement about the process of dying.

I see them as modern death masks, an idea as old as art.

The photographs are on display at the Wellcome Collection, 183 Euston Road, London from 9 April - 18 May.

http://www.wellcomecollection.org/exhibitionsandevents/exhibitions/lifebeforedeath/index.htm

those of you who figure this is OK, but that viewing a nude human girl needs to be guarded against should have a close f*cking look at yourselves.

I think you mistake posting nudes here with morality, it is not connected. The simple facts are that many businesses impose disciplinary measures on their staff who view nudes at work, and often add such sites to a ban-list. pfm itself is a business, it is a little record shop. I can not afford to loose a potentially large chunk of my customer base in the daytime, especially for something that is no big deal to anyone else but you. This is simple economics and has nothing to do with morality. I am not big enough to change the system and I can not afford not to sell my records, as such my business *has* to be work safe. It really is that simple. I will not allow anything on this site that could reduce people's ability to see / enjoy it when they should be working for the man!

FWIW I don't find these pictures sick - there is nothing taboo about death. I'm an ex-health care worker, I was first exposed to the dead when I was 18 so it holds no shock value. Perhaps that is why I like that picture set as I'm far beyond the level that would be outraged by it.

Tony.

PS You won't find the concept of work-safe to be a British thing, the US companies I've worked for have been amongst the most restrictive.

there is really something really, really psychologically wrong with you brits. these pictures are repulsive and offensive in just about every way. what possible point could there be other than for the photographer to declare how cool and original he is with this most sick and deviant voyeurism. i made the mistake of looking at a couple of pictures without understanding what it was about and i now feel disgusting, as if i had violated these people. those of you who figure this is OK, but that viewing a nude human girl needs to be guarded against should have a close f*cking look at yourselves.

vuk.
I agree - 100%.
(Except for the implication that it is all of us Brits!)

In all the pointless billions of shots being made, I thought it was amazing to see work that still made you think. There's no issue of voyeurism - these were made with the full consent of the sitters, who wanted to make their personal statement about the process of dying.

there's a fine line between making one think and shock value. there's been an escalation of that in all art forms since the turn of the previous century and destroyed a few of them (jazz, for example). as for voyeurism, it's quite possible to have it with the full consent of the subject/victim. the defining feature is the perversion of the viewer, not necessarily the innocence of the perceived. it's also not quite that clear in this instance that the people were able to provide complete consent. the standard ethical practice in research, for example, is for the participant to be able to withdraw at any point. i don't see how dead person has that option--not simply during shooting, but even afterwards when seeing reactions from friends. family, etc.

vuk.

I think you mistake posting nudes here with morality, it is not connected.

tony.

my comments were not directed at you, but the people here who have complained on either personal moral grounds or how shocking it would be for their child to see an art nude. i can just imagine the reaction of a child to these death photos.

vuk.

I find them neither shocking or thought provoking. I really don't know what the point is supposed to be - do you put them in the family album? "Here's another photo of your favourite uncle". "He doesn't look to good". "Well, no. He's dead. Here's one of his rotting corpse; and this one is his skeleton..."

or thought provoking. I really don't know what the point is supposed to be - do you put them in the family album? "

I did/no not at all.

The points were for me;

1) It reminded me of the fragility of life

2)Stuff going on just now that p***s me off, 9 times out of 10 just doesn't matter.

3) My parents are now 69.5/76.......

4) The notes on regarding the subject, what kiiled them, made me realise how very fortunate we (as a family) are.

I agree kids shouldn't be looking at that stuff .

It wouldn't have done me any good.

(no way getting at you Tony)

advertisement

Back