advertisement

Life after Shahinian Arcs !!!

Audiojoy

I also believe that the Arcs are one of the very best speakers that ive had in my living room( im immensely happy with them , just sometimes i miss what the Briks can do ).
:D

The bricks are a big double-pair of stand-mount speakers, when active, setup/driven properly really excel in the tight-thumping-Bass department, especially when turned up loud...IMO you really need to play them very loud and they turn into a different beast that excites. Pound/punch difficult to beat these days. If you have money get the biggest ATCs you can afford. The only small downside for me on Bricks is the upper-mid which can be a bit honky, at lower volumes especially.

Great to see a thread on Arcs !

I've had mine for 20 years and gone through various amps: Naim 250/135's, ECS (aka mana stealth) Dynavector HX1.2, Croft and Avondale. Without a doubt they sound best to my ears with Avondale 130z NCC220's although NAP 135s was second, Despite what people said i always found the Dynavectors to be a bit slow and lacking drive.

I find some of the comments on the Arc's bass quality surprising since thats one of the best aspects of this speaker, alongside its effortless musicality.
I know they need a lot of grunt to hear the best though and that might be where the criticisms come from if the amps are not matched well ?

I love the non fussy nature of positioning with the Arcs and non nerdy need for sweet spots and stands which can't move and eat into your living space and they have just stood the test of time through many other changes.

Funnily enough the first time i heard them i hated them so without hearing them in the right context i guess it does divide opinion.

Big shout out to Phil from Phonography for introducing me to them all that time ago when i finally got my hands on a pair.

Great to see a thread on Arcs !

I've had mine for 20 years and gone through various amps: Naim 250/135's, ECS (aka mana stealth) Dynavector HX1.2, Croft and Avondale. Without a doubt they sound best to my ears with Avondale 130z NCC220's although NAP 135s was second, Despite what people said i always found the Dynavectors to be a bit slow and lacking drive.

I find some of the comments on the Arc's bass quality surprising since thats one of the best aspects of this speaker, alongside its effortless musicality.
I know they need a lot of grunt to hear the best though and that might be where the criticisms come from if the amps are not matched well ?

I love the non fussy nature of positioning with the Arcs and non nerdy need for sweet spots and stands which can't move and eat into your living space and they have just stood the test of time through many other changes.

Funnily enough the first time i heard them i hated them so without hearing them in the right context i guess it does divide opinion.

Big shout out to Phil from Phonography for introducing me to them all that time ago when i finally got my hands on a pair.
My first pair of ARCs was 1993/4 had them for a decade along with a NAC 82, 2 home made hi caps (Doug provided me 2 cases) I made the 4 24v rails using Naim regulators and power supplies that I etched with DB help. Into a NAP 250. The pre amp was great and in 2000 I jumped at an HX1.2 mk having heard a Bedina in Australia in 95 which was super fast driving ARCs met JD and loved the Diapasons both there and at Grahams where I worked.

My first pair of ARCs was 1993/4 had them for a decade along with a NAC 82, 2 home made hi caps (Doug provided me 2 cases) I made the 4 24v rails using Naim regulators and power supplies that I etched with DB help. Into a NAP 250. The pre amp was great and in 2000 I jumped at an HX1.2 mk having heard a Bedina in Australia in 95 which was super fast driving ARCs met JD and loved the Diapasons both there and at Grahams where I worked.
Sold it all in 2005 and missed it in 2020 I purchased a pair of 1997 arcs then a pair of 2002 then a pair of Obelisk 2004 from Phil having also purchased my original HX1.2 from him that had been serviced managed to grab an L200 mk 2 to replace my Mk1 and a P75 mk 3 then 4 replaced my 20 year old Karat and jumped on a Simplex Mk 2

Sold it all in 2005 and missed it in 2020 I purchased a pair of 1997 arcs then a pair of 2002 then a pair of Obelisk 2004 from Phil having also purchased my original HX1.2 from him that had been serviced managed to grab an L200 mk 2 to replace my Mk1 and a P75 mk 3 then 4 replaced my 20 year old Karat and jumped on a Simplex Mk 2
Did own a Linn LP12 Circus Trampolin Valhalla and Naim ARO DV17 mk 2 Karat sold the lingo as it offered little (sold all but the karat which then lived life on a Rega for years) after JB stayed a night with the WT reference

Looking for a pair of Obelisk MK2s loving what I have though and Yes the ARCs put the SBLs and Briks in their place for being average for me the Epos ES11 and Quad Electro Statics mk1 were superb back then Royd and a few others Linn and Naim just played at it imho Shahinian turned this on their head and yes the Arcs base was over blown and slow yet the entire presentation was great I’d rather a pair of Sonabs driven by a Naim Nait over a pair of B&W nautalis and and Linn climax’s

Anyway I’m rambling on a tad it’s hi fi enjoy your music I love what I have fancy an HX100 mind and the Meridian GS57 mk 2 is superb

Another thing to consider that really drives my outlook is this having listened to SBLs DBLs and briks all actively driven as the box count along with living with a pair of Epos es11’s had an impact as non of them could really do mid range and clarity the ARCs and a decent amp offered music and the Sara’s had a massive enjoyment level ran a B77 mk2 running a pair of SARAs at two parties which was mega anyway the ARCs are brilliant from 93 onwards the Obelisks are by far the best speaker I’ve lived had the pleasure to own, the ARCs ciir 2002 onward bit it in a smaller cabinet are great. I’ve had a few yet again x whatever you on enjoy

advertisement

Back