advertisement

Life after Naim

They also want you to believe that new stuff is better than old stuff because it's the new stuff they want need to buy. But is it?

If people buy it and remain happy with it then pretty much by definition yes. Naim used to achieve this in spades and it is still continuing to a fair extent as demonstrated by posts in this and other Naim threads.

Is an amplifier built today really much better than one built ten or twenty years ago?

It depends on what is valued. Some value new highly, other value old highly, some value technical performance whereas others consider it irrelevant, etc... It is unreasonable to criticise Naim or any other expensive marketing-lead luxury brand because they offer low technical performance for the money. This is not what owners of Naim-like hardware value and why should they if it doesn't interest them? They will of course normally consider the hardware to have high perceived/subjective performance for the money or else they wouldn't have opted for it.

Another thing that they rarely mention is that there is a huge amount you can do to improve the way a system sounds in your home without spending very much, if anything.

Again this is missing the point of what people that purchase Naim-like hardware value. There is every chance they will derive most of their enjoyment from multiple boxes of electronics, turntables, DACs, etc... along with a relatively modestly priced pair of small 2 way speakers in an untreated room with their head on a comfortable high backed chair/settee flat against a wall. This isn't appropriate if a high technical sound quality is required to do a job but this isn't what is going on. It's about enjoying one's hi-fi while listening to music and that depends on how a person is wired up internally and what they do and do not value.

It is unreasonable to criticize Naim or any other expensive marketing-lead luxury brand because they offer low technical performance for the money. This is not what owners of Naim-like hardware value and why should they if it doesn't interest them?

This is one of the most unfathomable posts I've seen for a while. I have yet to meet a Naim fan who says he buys the brand for any other reason than the sound quality. Not one. Your entire post makes no sense at all.

If I had the inclination or the motivation to build up a second system again, I might be tempted to try an older Nait or similar.

This is one of the most unfathomable posts I've seen for a while. I have yet to meet a Naim fan who says he buys the brand for any other reason than the sound quality. Not one.

Indeed but what creates this sound quality? If we stood next to a Naim enthusiast listening to their system would we perceive this high sound quality? If not, why not?

In contrast, if we all then stood in front of a system with a high technical performance and discussed what can or cannot be heard what would be the likely level of agreement? What is different?

Returning to the Naim system. What value does the perceived sound quality have to the Naim enthusiast? What value does it have to us?

Your entire post makes no sense at all.

Is that because of a lack of understanding on your part or because it is twaddle?

Was a Naimee in the 90s with upgraditis that took me to CDS2/52/SC/135s/SL2. I really liked the sound at the time, but too long ago to imagine I can recall it.

Now I have a variety of CDPs (ahem!), best being a time-warp condition Philips CD960, playing through a Bryston B135-3 into fully restored Tannoy HPD315s in custom 100l cabinets.

My current system sounds sublime, for around half the (1990s) price of the Naim setup. Wonder what the closest equivalent Naim system would cost today?!

Given the recent Naim price hikes interested to know who owned Naim and has since moved onto other manufacturers. I’ve had a Nait XS for 12 years and am looking at alternatives due to its age. Quite frankly I love it, so had looked at a supernait as a replacement, anything higher up the Naim chain is out of my reach so just wondered where others may have gone.

First, I wouldn’t be put off by the age of your Nait XS. If it’s starting to sound slightly tired, book it in to Darran at Class A Servicing in Sheffield for a service. It should work wonders.

If you do want a more capable amp, may I suggest going for something based around a better pre-amp. Naim’s own NAC72 is hard to beat for sensible money and would be my first choice. Then pair it with a NAP110 or 140, ideally with a Hicap if you can. That takes you to Supernait territory with zero chance of depreciation as the resale value of these classic components only goes up. Darran can service all of these to bring them fully up to scratch. If you want more, then seek out a 250 or much better still a pair of 135s.

I started with a 32.5/140, ending up with a 52/Supercap/135s and greatly enjoyed the quality of each one.
I have subsequently moved on to a Chord Ultima pre & power amp in the main system but still have a couple of smaller Naim systems, as they continue to play wonderful music.

Others such as Avondale, Exposure Accuphase and Sugden also make super amplifiers at various budget points.

Hope this helps, FT

I kept my 110 throughout my upgraditis and I come back to it quite often, it does things other amps don’t.

I think it may be the lack of regulation. My NAP250 was regulated and the Meridian 105s are not. I suspect it may be one of the reasons for the more fluid sound. I started to wonder about this when I noticed people saying that they preferred their old Naim amp, like a 160 or 140 for instance, to a 250 and I realized one commonality was the lack of regulation. It's just a guess but...

Was a Naimee in the 90s with upgraditis that took me to CDS2/52/SC/135s/SL2. I really liked the sound at the time, but too long ago to imagine I can recall it.

Now I have a variety of CDPs (ahem!), best being a time-warp condition Philips CD960, playing through a Bryston B135-3 into fully restored Tannoy HPD315s in custom 100l cabinets.

My current system sounds sublime, for around half the (1990s) price of the Naim setup. Wonder what the closest equivalent Naim system would cost today?!

I don't think Naim does sublime. My system, fronted by a CDX 2.2, has never been described in that way by other listeners. Brutal? Yes.:)

The Olive I owned certainly wasn’t as subtle as the Yamaha I now own, but it has its own character. A kind of relentless drive that was exciting with electronics and rock. As I became more interested in classical it was clear that it wasn’t really right for me. Having to sell it was a sad though fortunate event. It was an important part of my journey though.

The Olive I owned certainly wasn’t as subtle as the Yamaha I now own, but it has its own character. A kind of relentless drive that was exciting with electronics and rock. As I became more interested in classical it was clear that it wasn’t really right for me. Having to sell it was a sad though fortunate event. It was an important part of my journey though.

I listen mostly to classical music and find that the drive of a Naim CD player is important. The players are alive even in Haydn symphonies. I know that this is not strictly HiFi, but the punchy sound engages me unlike the sound of some very expensive kit that I hear at dealers and shows - which sends me to sleep. I don't think that Naim is a HiFi company, its prime was in the flat earth period? (never got on with the amps though)

The drive was a little relentless for me at times and it did sometimes become fatiguing. With the Yamaha and LRS combination I have speed and subtlety in classical and the sub picks up the pace and the bass to deliver an enthralling experience that has greater speed, soundstage and detail than the Naim but without the fatigue.

I think it may be the lack of regulation. My NAP250 was regulated and the Meridian 105s are not. I suspect it may be one of the reasons for the more fluid sound. I started to wonder about this when I noticed people saying that they preferred their old Naim amp, like a 160 or 140 for instance, to a 250 and I realized one commonality was the lack of regulation. It's just a guess but...
I also have an Exposure 4 unregulated and really love it. To me, the unregulated amps are not quite as accurate but they are more musical/enjoyable than the regulated ones.

Fully regulated amps sit on the music if you know what I mean. Unregulated are free to soar like an eagle:) However if you regulate just the front end then I think you get the best of both worlds. The front end is just like a preamp and look at the lengths some go to with those- regulate the bollox off it ;) Avondale Voyager is a good example of such an amp.

My Naim gear long gone. Cdx , cds2 . Nap 250 ( ×4). Nap 135s ( x 3 pairs).
My remaining Naim equipment. Naim Cds3 and Nac 52. Fabulous combination which I use/ rotate in my main system with different manufacturers power amps( DV , Chord , Densen ) and speakers ( Epos , Wb , Neat).
I often think of replacing these old out of production Naim units but strongly suspect nothing would equal them for sensible money.

advertisement

Back