advertisement

Life after Naim

I spent a couple of years playing with most of the chrome bumper stuff through a pair of IBL’s. Got up as far as the 250 but loved the 160 and and a Nait2(my only Olive). Really enjoyable experience. Ended up all Avondale.
I’m probably going all digital now as I like the sound and won’t have a roomful of stuff that reminds the rellies of an early moonshot and fit for landfill.

all gone now as moved to Dutch & Dutch 8c actives and don’t have any regrets.

This for me also. But I would suggest your amp gets a service, and then see what you are missing. If you then decide to sell, you’ll recoup most of the service costs in the subsequent sale price?

..every hobby has such topics of discussion that make no sense to anyone outside of the hobby...."The whole concept of systematically and fervently upgrading a domestic appliance even when very large sums of money are required for tiny improvements is irrational." is not wholly unfamiliar to, say, PC gamers.

Not arguing with you. Lots of hobbies taken to ludicrous extremes, primarily by men.

I traded in my Naim 252/SupercapDR/250DR and NDX2 for Esoteric's N01XD streamer/DAC and F03A integrated.

Four boxes down to two. Great move, highly recommended.

Only because I upgraded my speakers (Dynaudio Evoke 50) to fill a much larger room than before. It’s not that I feel it’s lacking, just wonder what I’m now missing out on

My advice. If you are happy with the system and don't feel the Nait XS to be lacking, try to refrain from wondering if you are missing out on anything. Although the Nait XS may be a good amp, in reality further improvement with another amp is still possible. There is no end to this game so try to stay content with what you currently have unless you have plenty of disposable income to splurge on new gear.

My history with Naim is not a very long one. I started with a used 202/200 in 2010 before upgrading to the 282/250DR about 7 years later, bought new. I kept the 202/200 in a second system for about 2 years before they were traded in for a Luxman L-590 AXII (wonderful integrated).

The 282/250DR used to be my reference "endgame" amp in the main system. Nevertheless, the Luxman was brought in after the Naim failed to match the new speakers which I bought in 2019. The Luxman/new speakers have replaced the Naim/old speakers in the main system, optimised to a high level. The Naim is still used in the second system but the set up is compromised (limited speaker placement options, worse room, inferior source, cabling, equipment support etc.) hence the performance doesn't quite match up to the quality of the main system.

In summary, I haven't really moved on from the Naim but realise there is life after Naim. The Luxman in my case.

Last edited:
I did the Naim upgrade journey to 252/300 having started out with a 62/90. Throughout my time with Naim electronics, I always had Naim speakers. With hindsight, staying with Naim speakers was my one regret. However, due to health issues and the impact on finances, I sold the lot and started again. After some bumps and turns, I’ve ended up with the system I probably enjoy more than any other I’ve owned (with the possible exception of my very first system bought in 1973 and based around the superb Sansui AU101).

I love the Sugden A21 power amp that sits at the heart of my current system. I aspire to own a Leben CS300 one day, but I really enjoy what the Sugden does. The pre is an Exposure.

Absolutely no regrets getting off the Naim bandwagon. Anyway, their kit is very very expensive now.

Peter

Reactions: MVV
Ironic that that those who care about this debate, on both sides, have no realization of how bizarre it would seem to the vast majority of people. The whole concept of systematically and fervently upgrading a domestic appliance even when very large sums of money are required for tiny improvements is irrational. The only way it can be justified is by only talking about to other people who share this foolish addiction. Naim have done a fantastic job of creating a little rubber room for the afflicted to live in, isolated from scorn and ridicule. This new price and product structure looks like a change of direction which suggests that someone either really knows what they're doing or really doesn't.
Those of my friends who were actually interested would sometimes ask how much my system cost. They were, without exception, shocked at how much I had shelled out for a hi-fi system. They simply had other priorities- car, holiday, TV, kids school uniform etc etc. They rarely expressed it but implicit in their reaction was the fact that they thought me slightly barmy for spending so much, when they were more than satisfied with their Sony midi-systems. One of the elements I always found uncomfortable on the Naim forum was that it was populated by individuals who thought nothing of spending more on an amplifier than many people earned in a year. Ok, fair enough, it’s their cash and their choice but, whilst not feeling guilty exactly, I always had an awareness that I was in a very privileged position in comparison to many.

Those of my friends who were actually interested would sometimes ask how much my system cost. They were, without exception, shocked at how much I had shelled out for a hi-fi system.

I don't tell people. Very few ask or even express an interest. If someone does ask I just say it's mostly second hand and quite old and change the subject. As you say, virtually no one is going to consider even just the price of the turntable reasonable, mainly because it isn't.

I don't feel all that guilty about the money I spend on hi-fi for various reasons. I don't have other expensive hobbies, don't drink or smoke. Don't buy much in the way of clothes and don't run an expensive car. I buy second hand mostly, kit which holds its value and I make a bit buying and selling things so while the hobby isn't self-financing it's not too expensive either.

Most of my friends are fairly well heeled and TBH spend far more on their hobbies than I do.

I've always liked expensive hobbies:rolleyes:
Hifi , motorcycles, speedboats, radio control models, model engineering ...the list goes on.

Before my recent retirement (a bit over a year ago) I sold off most of my higher priced items...and with more time (but less money!) I've DIY'd my may to a more satisfying system

It can be done.. with a bit of careful thought and planning

If someone does suggest that Hi-fi is too expensive you can usually shut them up pretty quickly by asking them how much their last holiday cost?

'So you think it's fine to spend two grand on something that lasts a fortnight but it's not reasonable to spend the same amount on something which you can enjoy every day for a decade and then still sell for most of what you paid for it?'

Personally I have a lot of respect for people who build up a great sounding system from inexpensive parts. @lindsayt is my hero in this respect. I have little respect for those who flash the cash on expensive bling just to score points and willy wave. I don't have to visit the Naim forum to know which type I would encounter there.

I think that the problem with threads like this, is that it's always life after Naim or life after Linn; hardly any other brand gets this kind of treatment. I have Naim, some of which has been modified to a degree by Avondale, Neil James or Kit Ryan. I have never chased the ultimate upgrade, I would rather buy more records tbh.

I never owned Naim for some reason but the brand is iconic and stands for British (if we leave the Focal connection out). The understated looks are appealing (20 boxes are not) and they are forward thinking.

Long it may continue.

advertisement

Back