advertisement

Life after a Caiman SEG

CageyH

pfm Member
I am just wondering what people have moved on to as far as a DAC is concerned after owning a Caiman SEG?

I have one with a few upgrades which sounds OK to me, but not massively different to the Asus Essence STX II in my streaming PC/music library. I realise that my system could be limiting things, but I am happy with the overall sound of the speaker and amp combination (Firebottle KIN, Mono blocks and Electric Beach FH3).

I have started toying with the idea of a new DAC, as I would like more than one Coax input, so I can potentially lose the Asus DAC (which directly feeds my Pre-amp). I have been looking at things like the Audiolab M-DAC plus (but I don’t need the pre or headphone amp) and the Topping D50S, or the Sabaj D5.

The main concern is that I will be potentially spending money for no reason, as they won’t sound much different, and it is not easy to try them out before you buy. I realise that the last two only have one coax input as well, so I may have to rethink my system/plans.

The main criteria is to be able to connect my PC and CD player (Pioneer PD-S703) to the DAC using coax, as to my ears, this sounds slightly better than optical connections. Any suggestions of where I should be looking? I am keeping this at the lower to middle budget range, with about £1k to improve my system.

This isn't going to help much, but I had a Caiman 2 bought new from Stan on the back of enjoying my second hand Gatorised Caiman 1 so much. To cut a short story even shorter, I sold the 2 and went back to the 1.

The Asus Essence STX II is a circa £200 card. The SEG is £250 for a product in its own box, volume control etc.

The Asus is likely the far superior DAC.

FWIW I have one in my own media PC, and think it’s a very, very, good DAC.

Thanks for the responses.
I agree that the DAC is very good, and I am relatively happy with it for the music server.

The thing I want to do is improve the CD playback, by adding a DAC with two coax inputs and see if I can improve both the CD and PC side of things, although there do not seem too many DACs around with two coax inputs, that will be a step up from what I have now.

advertisement

Back