advertisement

Lidl slide and negative scanner

ian r

401's Nakman
OK you may laugh, but i have a monster Microtek slide and neg scanner that hasnt been unpacked after a move of office.

Bought on a whim @€29.99 ' Slide & Negative Scanner SND 3600 D3

Standalane powered by micro USb and suitable for Windows xp to 10 and so it says Mac OS X 10.6 onwards

manual batch scans and a rigid type of plastic is used

Optical resolution 2592 x 1680

I hope the Laughter is now over re plastic optics ...which of course are almost certainly in play

So far the software disc isnt even recognisable on any Mac of mine... however I expect this will be adressable as Mac is prominently mentioned... the service website has no discernable links for alternative sources for the disc image file mentioned in the booklet

Anyway given my need for slide scanning is mostly non pro and for whimsical memories I thought Id mention it ... I presently live in Ireland but one never knows..it might be what someone needs or maybe a student etc.

I have written tomthe service dept re mac os and checked if Vuescan hooks up with it... my older version doesnt ... so far.

cheers

ok update... it only works with OS x 10.10 which is annoying as i dont like the later iterations of osX however it very quick and easy....

The inbuilt software is very basic but at least its stable and unlikely to cause conflicts and as a way of getting a neg or a slide or set of slides into an email or webpage its a real godsend over the microtek repeated scan HQ approach.

downsides... perhaps unreasonable but here are mine..

I cant get Vuescan to work with it but its years since i bought my copy ...perhaps later Vuescans connect with usb2 inputs by now.... if anyone knows please say so

The next issue is as the sagelike here probably already know its 72dpi...

as i say for students vebmeisters etc or sending galleys etc its handy and instant

report over

Re Vuescan, you only need to buy one copy ever, then you download updates to get you over problems or suppport for a new device.
You coould try downloading the latest version to see if that will solve your problem.

Re Vuescan, you only need to buy one copy ever, then you download updates to get you over problems or suppport for a new device.
You coould try downloading the latest version to see if that will solve your problem.

The free updates are only if you've bought the professional version, the cheaper 'standard' version only gets you one year of updates...

https://www.hamrick.com/reg.html

It also looks like you need the professional version to scan film/slides.

I bought the professional version in the 90s and haven't had to pay for an update since. Although I don't scan much these days it's been one of the best software purchases I've ever made.

Based on Steve's recommendation I bought the pro version of Vuescan a while ago. It's cheap, it works and it's mine forever. No issues with Vuescan at all. However, if you want to scan film, I can't see how a 30-pound scanner could extract much of anything out of a slide or neg.

Joe

Based on Steve's recommendation I bought the pro version of Vuescan a while ago. It's cheap, it works and it's mine forever. No issues with Vuescan at all. However, if you want to scan film, I can't see how a 30-pound scanner could extract much of anything out of a slide or neg.

Joe
the OP makes the situation quite clear as does the follow up.

Thanks for the reminders anout viescan updates, in the various house moves its ages since I switched the relevant puter on ... I'll be happy with an update for use by 10.10.

I dare say Vuescan wont present issues with this or that OS x as its a fine piece of software

Ian,

I often struggle with your prose even though I have a universal translator on board.

What I'm saying is that even if you get the 30 squid scanner to work with VueScan I doubt it'll be worth the effort.

Joe

Thank you for your efforts and forebearance.
I will switch on the universal translator here too. for example myself I read your post as you saying the whole thing was a waste of time, so its somewhat mutual in this case, no insult intended.

to clarify The software it comes with is simple and claims to optimise colour balance etc .... It would take little to improve matters and In spite of Lidls claims it is for 10.6 onwards it only works with 10.10 onwards...
There are so many computers in my life its ridiculous some running software that I dont want to update to 10.10

for eg. I have alot of firewire kit including the microtek which does xray plates etc.

As you all know Vuescan allows so much tweaking and somewhere I have a version of Silverfast which is also dedicated to getting the best out a scanners sweet spots. But the idea I was exploring was to get this el cheapo to work on any Of my Vuescan equipped macs not just the vanilla software osx 10.10 it came with.

way too much detail but thats translators for one.

hence the steam of consciousness

Thanks again

Ian,

Scanning film is a black art. If you want good results you need a good scanner ... and a bucketload of patience, a willingness to self flagellate, and — most importantly — one of them thar blower things to remove as much dust as possible from the film before scanning so you don't spend your weekends playing with Photoshop's healing brush tool.

Joe

I have a large old school flatbed slide and negative scanner which is firewire and not unpacked after the move ... it does multiple passes and likes to use Silverfast but does work with Vuescan.

I suppose scanning is a blackart but squirting old trannies ...

... into whimsical emails or ...heaven forbid ...facebag updates (!) is now a near instant process rather than a black art

Black art scanning along with amber nectar can be quite absorbing getting that exposure sorted after 50 years ...laughter at this end

Anyway its that great convenience ie for non critical uses that I bought it and its is quite fine for that

but no not for printing

advertisement

Back