advertisement

Let's have a debate, name your Top 3

rock pop of ALL time?
well I guess that's about 70 years now (nearly) so hmmmmm
All I know IS
It must start with some black american music from just after WW2
then you need something that happened in the UK in the 60's and then
something so popular that no-body else can touch it....
Fill in to taste?

Jog on you old hippies ;)

1 The Clash
2 The Jam
3 The Specials

IMVHO the clash were the most overrated band ever. The jam were excellent. The specials were v good at times.

Best 3 is vvvvvv difficult.

Beatles
Floyd
Marley?

Fav 3

Zeppelin
Floyd
MK 2 and MK 4 purple

Most listened to 3

Vivaldi
Smiths
Pink martini
Sade

Most revered 3

Ella fitzgerald
Glenn Miller
Hendrix

Etc ad nausium

IMVHO the clash were the most overrated band ever. The jam were excellent. The specials were v good at times.

Best 3 is vvvvvv difficult.

Beatles
Floyd
Marley?

Fav 3

Zeppelin
Floyd
MK 2 and MK 4 purple

Most listened to 3

Vivaldi
Smiths
Pink martini
Sade

Most revered 3

Ella fitzgerald
Glenn Miller
Hendrix

Etc ad nausium
Agree on The Clash. Glenn Miller is totally derivative crap IMHO

Glen Miller changed the scene wit the rank of saxophones. His sound was not derivative at all.

Just my opinion. The Glen Miller band were milking it though
Are we talking about the same artist, as in the 'in the mood' big band swing music?

IIUC, this is supposed to be about your vote for the top 3 acts of all time.. I.e., not just your personal favurites.. or those you think make you look 'right on'. :p

No you don't UC.

If you'd read the ****ing thread title it says "name your Top 3" of all time. Which is what I did. Apologies for not putting the Beatles as you'd no doubt have preferred.

The Pogues, Smiths and Ian Dury are 'MY' Top 3. As for no longevity The Pogues started in 1982ish and are still going, packing out any venue they care to play. The Smiths are clearly one of, if not THE, most legendary UK indie rock band of all time. Few would disagree. As for Ian Dury, I'm sorry his death after about 12 albums and 33 years at the top of the game puts him out of your frankly bizarre longevity and universal appeal categories, but the man was a poet and a musical genius.

There is good reason why I would put my 3 above the Beatles every day of the week. Excellent and successful as they no doubt are, I find they were strangely devoid of poetic lyrics, political protest or social comment in their songs, especially for a group active in the 60s (it was probably part of their appeal to be fair). However, these are the areas that are important to me in music. I ain't apologising for it.

No you don't UC.

If you'd read the ****ing thread title it says "name your Top 3" of all time. Which is what I did. Apologies for not putting the Beatles as you'd no doubt have preferred.

Gosh! You chose your username well...

The Pogues, Smiths and Ian Dury are 'MY' Top 3. As for no longevity The Pogues started in 1982ish and are still going, packing out any venue they care to play. The Smiths are clearly one of, if not THE, most legendary UK indie rock band of all time. Few would disagree. As for Ian Dury, I'm sorry his death after about 12 albums and 33 years at the top of the game puts him out of your frankly bizarre longevity and universal appeal categories, but the man was a poet and a musical genius.

There is good reason why I would put my 3 above the Beatles every day of the week. Excellent and successful as they no doubt are, I find they were strangely devoid of poetic lyrics, political protest or social comment in their songs, especially for a group active in the 60s (it was probably part of their appeal to be fair). However, these are the areas that are important to me in music. I ain't apologising for it.

OK. So it's your top 3. I can live with that, even though I don't see any of them as being all that. But to baldly state that the Beatles were 'strangely devoid of poetic lyrics, political protest or social comment in their songs' is quite extraordinary. You see no poetry in Penny Lane.. or Yesterday, or Yes It Is, or In My Life, Here, There and Everywhere,Here Comes the Sun, Hey Jude or any of the numerous other songs with which they effectively reshaped the popular song? No social comment in Rain, Eleanor Rigby, Lady Madonna, All You Need Is Love? Certainly not a 'protest' group, but certainly subtly political in many songs, without being overtly so. I dare say if they'd adopted a stronger more overt political stance, like many other at the time.. you'd be accusing them of jumping on the bandwagon. They were what they were.

advertisement

Back