advertisement

Let There Be Rock

Maybe a lot of the rock play "hassle" stems from the really dreadful quality of records in the 70's - 80's - 90's? For me a great period but recodings seem, on average, to have been dreadful?

On average I would say that rock recordings from the 70s are pretty good - just to pick one example:- Radar Love is a great recording.
80s is mostly OK.
Not sure about the 90s.

Maybe it depends which bands you listened to? E.g. Most Rolling Stones recordings are poor, but early Grand Funk Railroad recordings are superb.

I find that Sunn O)) and Earth 2 "Special Low Frequency Version" are incredibly challenging to reproduce at home. I had to make do with a very vague approximation of what they were on about until I managed to source JBL 4435s.

I find that Sunn O)) and Earth 2 "Special Low Frequency Version" are incredibly challenging to reproduce at home. I had to make do with a very vague approximation of what they were on about until I managed to source JBL 4435s.

my little REL sub earns its keep on tracks like “Bathiry Erzsebet” (with Oren Ambarchi)

The Neat floor standers with a woofer firing down the floor also rocks.
Did anyone listen to some large Harbeth M40 with classic rock ?

The Neat floor standers with a woofer firing down the floor also rocks.
Never heard Neat properly. Would like to though.
Apart from the usual flat earth candidates, I think the big Lockwoods have rocked best for me. Never had a pair at home though.
Briks, Saras, Keilidhs and Ninkas are my fav flat earth rockers, although Saras struggle with some rock music where the bass is very deep.

Pioneer 'Series 20' A27 into Tannoy Cheviots rocks very nicely. Mate was round the other night and commented 'it just sounds so bloody live'. Was pleased with that...……...

Pioneer 'Series 20' A27 into Tannoy Cheviots rocks very nicely. Mate was round the other night and commented 'it just sounds so bloody live'. Was pleased with that...……...
They look nice ... and they look like they can Rock too! :)

Just to be clear - some of my favorite records are (I think) sonic masterpieces. The Sound "All Fall Down" and Mission of Burma "Vs" for example.

same here. all I listen to is rock, punk rock, post punk, and lots of other badly recorded/mastered/pressed stuff. The Klouts/Briks just blast it out in a most entertaining fashion.
I'm temporarily driving passive Briks with a Nait 1. No bass what so ever and a thin sound so it's not rockin' but surprisingly musical at low volume where you're ears are not expecting much weight.

On average I would say that rock recordings from the 70s are pretty good - just to pick one example:- Radar Love is a great recording.
80s is mostly OK.
Not sure about the 90s.

Maybe it depends which bands you listened to? E.g. Most Rolling Stones recordings are poor, but early Grand Funk Railroad recordings are superb.
Agreed. Many of the rock recordings from the 70's were very good, indeed splendid when compared to so many brickwalled albums of the past decade or so.
Indeed, my recollection of live sound from the 70's was on a par if not better than much of what is on offer nowadays.

My fave ever rockers were Yamaha ns1000, that 12in woofer gripped the room, and produced visceral punch. Needed oodles of class A power tho.
Fave torture track for dems is ‘at the drive in’ control album, the look on salesman’s faces is classic horror. But any system that doesn’t explode is a good start.

Maybe I'm blind but I can't believe that no one mentioned Klipsch, especially the Heritage Series. To me there are no better speakers for rock (they do Jazz Blues etc. as well too). They aren't the most refined but the give you the feeling that real musician playing in your room even with studio recordings. I love the Cornwall III and totally curios to hear the CW IV.

Indeed, my recollection of live sound from the 70's was on a par if not better than much of what is on offer nowadays.

I certainly remember hearing Barclay James Harvest in the Capitol Aberdeen and it was really not that different to what I was hearing at home from my NAC12/ NAP160/ ELS 57. Okay maybe a tad louder in the concert . Mind you there was some rubbish mixing back in the day, such as Emmylou Harris in the Usher Hall mixed like a rock band where you struggled to hear the lyrics.

The absolute worst was the Saw Doctors a few years ago where everything was turned up to 12. It was simply a noise that left my ears ringing with zero enjoyment, a totally wasted evening.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back