Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Let There Be Rock

Discussion in 'audio' started by Charlie_1, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

Having downgraded and gone back in time, I can't help but feel that rock music has been a casualty of 3+ decades of pursuit of cleaner / cleaner / more detailed sound. As a teenager, all my friends' budget systems could rock with ease. Go to a hifi show these days (when they're open again) and nearly everyone is playing boring cr@p that sounds impressive. These setups just don't rock. They say, 'rock music is too simple and you need to hear something more complex'. No, I just want to hear a system that can keep time properly and not dump any rhythmic information in the bin at the expense of greater resolution and transparency. Rock on Tommy!

What great rock systems/components have you heard?

nostromo, Miss Ariel, Mr Pig and 4 others like this.
  2. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

My Linn/Naim Triamped Isobarik system rocked, even the neighbours told me so :D

LApstrE, nostromo, joe9407 and 3 others like this.
  3. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Just seen this.

I habtually listen to drum and bass, electronic, ambient, modern clasical, but stuck some ACDC on the TT, just to test.

The air-guitar and uncontrollable foot movement and urge to pump up the volume were there within a very few seconds.

Whatever that means........................

4. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

A fellow drum and bass fan! Hard to find the good stuff these days I find! :)

Must visit the music section and start a thread on it!

chiily, Fatmarley and Vinny like this.
  5. Frizzy

Frizzy Liberal anarchist

We didn’t know better in seventies, most live gigs had rubbish pa’s. So home hifi sounded like a bad Pa, that’s where naim stepped in and isobaric style reigned supreme.

Charlie_1 and Vinny like this.
  6. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Fook, this ACDC is GOOD...............................................

My 3-4-5-6-monthly dose!!

7. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

That has got to be one of the greater understatements on PFM.............

In truth, what a studio could do at the time, could never be done live, I strongly suspect.

dreamer69 likes this.
  8. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

For those about to rock....

Miss Ariel, Jono_13 and Vinny like this.
  9. Musicman19

Musicman19 Active Member

Yep my briks rock too

nostromo likes this.
  10. Frizzy

Frizzy Liberal anarchist

Interesting how much playback has caught up with recording, most laptops can work as a porta studio, and as a high end source.
    Strange in 1965 the record printers never knew the sonic possibilities of the discs they made?

11. pocketkitchen

pocketkitchen Registered User

John Burns of Pear Audio and I once popped a fuse on on of his demo Shahinian Diapason’s playing Zep III. That system rocked, as did the Linn Keltik/Klout system at Audio Excellence Chester many moons ago.

At a much cheaper level, my old 72/140 and Royd Minstrel system was brilliant for rock music.

12. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Maybe a lot of the rock play "hassle" stems from the really dreadful quality of records in the 70's - 80's - 90's? For me a great period but recodings seem, on average, to have been dreadful?

13. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Already in this thread.. four major variables have been introduced...

Good luck!! :D

14. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

I’m a rock bass player so..........

It took a while but I have now 3 kits that really rock.

First : Naim CD5XS/Flatcap/Supernait used as a preamp/NAP 250.2 with custom made isobaric bookshelf with an F3 of 32 Hz. In my small room, it feels like a large 15 inch woofer in terms of chest pressure but always perfectly controlled.

Second : Marantz CD used as a transport/ highly modified AK4497 DAC/Exposure XXI/IV mk2 unregulated with custom made bookshelf based on Motus 6 inch woofer.

Third and probably my best : Same source as second, Naim NAC 32.5/Hicap/NAP 160 BD with custom made floor standers with 6 inch Carbon-Rohacell Satori. This latest plays a 5 or 6 string bass guitar with ease, going down to 28 Hz without losing control but in a powerful way, at least in my room of 16 foot x 11 foot large. Double bass drum punch hard and deep but you can clearly hear the pause between two kicks as the small woofer is reacting very quickly.

As a rule of thumb, a good low moving mass 6 or 6 1/2 inch woofer into a 1 cubic foot enclosure gives the best results, as long as you don’t go over 95 dB, all IMO, of course.

Another cheap one that rocks : Tangent TM1

Rosewind, Miss Ariel and Charlie_1 like this.
  15. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

Large JBL's is obvious.

Rosewind, Charlie_1 and cooky1257 like this.
  16. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Just? That’s easily the biggest challenge for any system!

nostromo and Charlie_1 like this.
  17. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

every time you go to a show, the BIG boys krell dan D, etc, all play shocking Nepalese nose flute's , and crap, you hear a great song from a room playing Zep Eagles, dire St, the rooms are rammed, that's what we play and what we want to hear, bring on Scools out, by alice every day,,

18. Bas V

Bas V pfm Member

This is just your mind playing tricks on you. All kids's systems rock to their ears. And playing 'audiophile' music at dealers / hifi-shows is nothing new. It's just you getting older chap...

Besides this party-pooper remark: nothing beats a Naim at rocking the suburbs!

joe9407 and Gervais Cote like this.
  19. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

One has...
    One concurrs...

20. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

This why I stopped going to hifi shows, what's the point of listening to music I don't know and don't like.

Charlie_1 likes this.