1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Leonard Cohen latest

Discussion in 'music' started by Nero, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Nero

Nero BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK

I want to buy the above on vinyl, but SWMBO doesn't get on with an ARO, so will insist on streaming it. Can anyone who has bought the vinyl confirm if it has a download code or not, and if so, is it compressed?

I suspect I'll have to buy both vinyl and CD but hey...

2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I have it on vinyl and can confirm does not have a download code.

3. Nero

Thanks Bob. As suspected. Ah well.......

How is the mastering?

4. evand

evand pfm Member

The 24/44.1 is fine. Not brickwalled etc. Not sure an 80 y/o talking about his lover's nipples rising like bread is my cup of tea though.

DavidS and scotty38 like this.
  5. vinylslug

vinylslug Resisting beguiling upgrades.

Unusual to not have a download code these days, but can confirm too that there isn't one. A recent(ish) cohen album "Popular Problems" came with an actual CD included with the vinyl. I'd be happy if more did that.

6. dspatterson

dspatterson Keltik Krazy

I love it just a tad short......

7. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

what is it called ? i do like his last couple a lot

8. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

^^^ Thanks For The Dance, it's worth having for sure.

9. Nero

Lovely album. I was expecting more to be from his collaborators, but the man himself absolutely shines. So far, I've managed to do without the digital version. There's no doubt that it was recorded digitally, so how does this vinyl sound so good?

10. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

thanks ,

11. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

12. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

I've streamed Thanks For The Dance a number of times. Cohen's son Adam gathered together musicians and singers to complete the album. I'll no doubt buy it in vinyl at some point.

The Guardian interview with Adam above is illuminating. Leonard learned of Marianne's death while recording and adapted lines of the song Moving On to mark this.

Now you're gone, now you're gone
    As if there ever was a you
    Queen of lilac, queen of blue
    Who's moving on, who's kiddin' who

Jack

13. zippy

zippy pfm Member

Yes an excellent last album. Unfortunately all we'll get from now on is likely to be a succession of 'best of...' and re-issues.

14. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I think I saw this album for sale in Sainsbury's yesterday.

Cannot recall anything on the sleeve about a download.

15. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

I think perhaps the most poignant thing in the interview for me was the fact that the vocal on the last song on the album was made out of an impromptu recital of an unfinished poem he came out with during the press conference which was the last time he spoke in public.

Knowing that lends a whole new air to the track IMO, especially given that it's the send off at the end of the end. Reminds me of Hokusai's dragon of smoke escaping mount Fuji.

deebster and jackbarron like this.
  16. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

The end of the album is very touching and somewhat funny.

Jack

17. Andy1912

Andy1912 pfm Member

He is reciting a poem by Lorca.

I’m a big fan, wasn’t aware of this album, I’m liking it.

18. Tray

Tray Well-Known Member

Adam Cohen was talking today about his dad's new album and the people that worked on it and how it came together .
    Obviously he's doing the rounds to sell as many copies as he can.
    But IMO still worth a listen.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000c0rs

19. Ruairi

Ruairi pfm Member

His last three albums have all been really enjoyable for me. The good lady of the house had this ordered for my Christmas gift. Old Ideas in particular was brilliant from 2012 (?). Cheers for the bbc link

20. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

I agree that the last albums were very good. I think my favorite still is "I Want It Darker". There is that sparkling resolve to hang "on like death" despite the looming darkness.