advertisement

Leonard Cohen latest

Nero

Re: Tired
I want to buy the above on vinyl, but SWMBO doesn't get on with an ARO, so will insist on streaming it. Can anyone who has bought the vinyl confirm if it has a download code or not, and if so, is it compressed?

I suspect I'll have to buy both vinyl and CD but hey...

Unusual to not have a download code these days, but can confirm too that there isn't one. A recent(ish) cohen album "Popular Problems" came with an actual CD included with the vinyl. I'd be happy if more did that.

Lovely album. I was expecting more to be from his collaborators, but the man himself absolutely shines. So far, I've managed to do without the digital version. There's no doubt that it was recorded digitally, so how does this vinyl sound so good?

I've streamed Thanks For The Dance a number of times. Cohen's son Adam gathered together musicians and singers to complete the album. I'll no doubt buy it in vinyl at some point.

The Guardian interview with Adam above is illuminating. Leonard learned of Marianne's death while recording and adapted lines of the song Moving On to mark this.

Now you're gone, now you're gone
As if there ever was a you
Queen of lilac, queen of blue
Who's moving on, who's kiddin' who

Jack

Yes an excellent last album. Unfortunately all we'll get from now on is likely to be a succession of 'best of...' and re-issues.

I think I saw this album for sale in Sainsbury's yesterday.

Cannot recall anything on the sleeve about a download.

I've streamed Thanks For The Dance a number of times. Cohen's son Adam gathered together musicians and singers to complete the album. I'll no doubt buy it in vinyl at some point.

The Guardian interview with Adam above is illuminating. Leonard learned of Marianne's death while recording and adapted lines of the song Moving On to mark this.

Now you're gone, now you're gone
As if there ever was a you
Queen of lilac, queen of blue
Who's moving on, who's kiddin' who

Jack

I think perhaps the most poignant thing in the interview for me was the fact that the vocal on the last song on the album was made out of an impromptu recital of an unfinished poem he came out with during the press conference which was the last time he spoke in public.

Knowing that lends a whole new air to the track IMO, especially given that it's the send off at the end of the end. Reminds me of Hokusai's dragon of smoke escaping mount Fuji.

I think perhaps the most poignant thing in the interview for me was the fact that the vocal on the last song on the album was made out of an impromptu recital of an unfinished poem he came out with during the press conference which was the last time he spoke in public.

Knowing that lends a whole new air to the track IMO, especially given that it's the send off at the end of the end. Reminds me of Hokusai's dragon of smoke escaping mount Fuji.

The end of the album is very touching and somewhat funny.

Jack

The 24/44.1 is fine. Not brickwalled etc. Not sure an 80 y/o talking about his lover's nipples rising like bread is my cup of tea though.

He is reciting a poem by Lorca.

I’m a big fan, wasn’t aware of this album, I’m liking it.

His last three albums have all been really enjoyable for me. The good lady of the house had this ordered for my Christmas gift. Old Ideas in particular was brilliant from 2012 (?). Cheers for the bbc link

I agree that the last albums were very good. I think my favorite still is "I Want It Darker". There is that sparkling resolve to hang "on like death" despite the looming darkness.

advertisement

Back