advertisement

Leonard Cohen Dear Heather

Bob McC

Living the life of Riley
Got the new album today and it continues the trend of relatively minimalist 'made at home' production of his last few albums. I actually prefer it to 10 New Songs. He seems to have put a bit more work into this one. His female 'backing' singers take up more of a starring role than previously, no bad thing as they can sing! There is also more variety in style of song. Now if the old bugger would only tour the album!

Bob

He is 70, give the old sod a break. :)

I must get this, it's probably a mistake to admit it in public but I'm a big fan of old Len.

-- Ian

So am I. He's had his tongue in his cheek [ and up some impressionable fillies' private parts] most of his life and made a good living to boot. Wonder what he thinks of John Peel?

Paul

L Cohen is very cool indeed. Anyone who reckons his songs are depressing has missed the point.

So, the new album is good?

Although we're a little short on musical heroes in Canada, he definitely is not one of them...(and to think we gave him a medal[Order of Canada]...) hmmm...

Surely not !! 'I'm your man' and 'The Future' may not be liked by some but the quality is not open to question - Decent prose/poetry is pretty obvious even if you don't agree with the content.

Well, I got it today. On a first listen there's at least one really good song ("Villanelle For Our Time"). Promising.

-- Ian

Originally posted by Blzebub
L Cohen is very cool indeed. Anyone who reckons his songs are depressing has missed the point.

Couldn't agree more Bub - intelligent, articulate, amusing, thought provoking (Leonard I mean, not you - sorry!).

Not too many offer the same & even fewer have done so for 40 years & he is still selling records - can 3 generations all be wrong ?

Paul

Well ok, I've heard enough of this quiet hero worship over the years for LC and I suppose one must dip one's toes in unknown waters - top three albums for newbs please gentlemen.

Steve

Almost impossible to do.
As someone who has everything he has ever recorded the only album I do not repeatedly return to is 'Death of a Ladies Man', a rather strange collaboration of Cohen and Phil Spector.
Anyway here's my two penn'orth:

First has got to be his first ..... 'Songs of'
second.... 'Recent Songs'
third......... 'Dear Heather'

Bob

I haven't heard all his output but I think either 'I'm your man' or 'The Future' should figure. They are quite simular but a world away from what you would expect of him from a casual viewpoint . In fact that's what I like - he always surprizes.

Paul

Mutty, thanks but I'll take Bob's advice, ie. its almost impossible for a newb to dip toes so I'll not bother.

Steve

I have been a fan of Leanord Cohen for many years, and have NEVER found his music depressing, and must agree with many here that his female backing vocalists are superb, especially on the likes of New Skin....

aquapiranha

advertisement

Back