advertisement

Leo Kottke

JTC

PFM Villager...
Someone threw a Leo Kottke cd at me ("in my shoes" or something) and I've only had a little listen to it thus far, but I was suitably impressed enough to do a little background.

Has anyone any recommendations on what albums of his to explore next? I'm a big fan of guitar music, especially where the guitarist compliments the tune well, and though I expected someone with the repitashun of Kottke to be a bit, well, OTT, I was pleasantly surprised (based upon last night's inaugural sesh).

As ever, vinyl preferred (if poss).

jtc

Sure I've got some of his albums somewhere. I'll have a look over the weekend (hopefully will remember) and let you know what I've got that might be worth looking out.

Most of Kottke's albums are worth having. Greenhouse is a favourite of mine.

If you like Kottke, check out his mentor, John Fahey, IMO the greatest guitarist who ever lived. There's a great compilation, "The Return of the Repressed". After that, any of his Blind Joe Death albums and "America" are essential.

-- Ian

I've decided that there's lots to like about Kottke's music (at least, based upon the one album thus far that I've heard).

So, I'll have a dig about and see what I can find.

He's obviously one of enormous talent, occasionally playing his guitar in a muted style which reminds me of some Al Di Meola tracks (but not quite so muted). It also seems to be quite accessible, in a kind of 'Satriani without the histrionics' kind of a way...

Intriguing...

jtc

Leo Kottke 6 and 12 string guitar
Kottke/Fahey/Lang, an album with four tracks each by Leo, John Fahey and Peter Lang. Outstanding.

Two other places to go - have a look at albums released under John Fahey's Takoma Records label, and try Stefan Grossman (usu. under his own Kicking Mule label) - especially the two albums recorded jointly with John Renbourn Under the Volcano and Snap a Little Owl. Well recommended!

Martin

Certainly won't hear Leo Kottke on the old wireless..Greenhouse and My Fathers Face get reasonable turntable time here...Chuck Mangione seems untapped also.

In terms of his playing I find the Private Music albums onwards to be the best, this coincided with his ditching of fingerpick which was a real step up for me.

Bought this when it came out....I cannot believe that that was in 1973.

Still one of my favourite albums.

R-1544600-1446582374-2808-jpeg.jpg

I can spend days listening to nothing but this music - John Fahey and the Takoma catalogue leads to Leo Kottke, Robbi Basho and Jack Rose, and many others. I'm also obsessed by Brazilian guitar music - o violão do Brasil - and how it varies between different parts of that country. Fábio Zanon - himself an extraordinary guitarist - has documented many of these variations in a series of programmes originally broadcast on Rádio Cultura FM.

Leo is great pottering music too!
The Wife has had a music bypass and only seems to listen to Jimmy Buckley.so often confined to my music room...
Joe..i cannot believe that was '73 either..my copy is one of those 'cut corner' albums...remember them...or 'drill throughs'

advertisement

Back