advertisement

Lenco L75 spring length?

PaulMB

pfm Member
Hi all,
I've found a shop in south Tel Aviv that only sells springs. So I thought I'd try and buy a couple of new springs for my L75, the small, long, skinny springs, one of which pulls the pulley across, the other I can't remember exactly what it does.
The trouble is the L75 is in Rome, so I cant measure the "un-extended" length and the thickness of the steel wire used to make the spring. If anyone knows these measurements, or feels like lifting their platter and measuring, I could see if they have them.
Obviously if anyone else is seeking other springs and can give me the measurements I could ask for those, as well.

Paul

This has come up once or twice on Lenco Heaven. Apparently the spring just keeps the idler wheel in contact with the platter but becomes semi-redundant once the platter is running. Therefore its force isn’t critical and a rubber band will do (although I haven’t tried this!).

the latest great Mod is to remove the spring, and replace with mono filament and a weight underneath the top plate, its fairly recent development on Lenco Heaven :)

Where is Lenco heaven?, I just picked one up and will be passing it on soon....got to be the ugliest arm I ever did see.

You're right about the arm. Looks and feels terrible. Replacing it with an Ortofon AS 212.
But what is sad?

I am not near Derby (Southport) but a picture would suffice. At the end of the day its all very subjective and with all due respect I have heard enough high end hi fi to be singularly unimpressed by most of what passes for top grade kit. Each to his own....

Mike,

I agree with you; the Lenco in stock form is really quite poor in my view. But some of the key components are excellent and the guys on LH capitalise on that, many of their builds discarding the dodgier parts (arm, plinth, top plate) and keeping the good ones (platter, motor, idler system). Some of the results are (imo) extraordinarily fine sounding and can be as good as the owner’s DIY skills/inclination allow for. My own sounded better than my LP12/Lingo from a quite early stage and has now reached a point where I really have no desire to upgrade again. Some would say it’s not a Lenco anymore. I don’t care; it sounds superb and I saved enough on the sale of the LP12 to get a great cart on top.

Here’s my original thread on LH :

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=6051.0

The LH community is predominantly DIY and contains several very talented engineers and artisans. I would hate anyone to think it was a site dedicated to glorifying the stock Lenco!

Cheers,

Nic.

I have to agree with Nic.
The Lencos have a big, heavy platter, a big, simple motor with a marvelously simple idler drive, and an excellent main bearing. The speed-changing mechanism is a masterpiece of simplicity. I had a TD124 years ago, and in comparison to the Lenco it was a triumph of pointless over-engineering; the Lenco is perfectly silent while the 124 was very noisy, and the speed is much more stable with the Lenco.
The arm is terrible, OK.

J
Mike,

I agree with you; the Lenco in stock form is really quite poor in my view. But some of the key components are excellent and the guys on LH capitalise on that, many of their builds discarding the dodgier parts (arm, plinth, top plate) and keeping the good ones (platter, motor, idler system). Some of the results are (imo) extraordinarily fine sounding and can be as good as the owner’s DIY skills/inclination allow for. My own sounded better than my LP12/Lingo from a quite early stage and has now reached a point where I really have no desire to upgrade again. Some would say it’s not a Lenco anymore. I don’t care; it sounds superb and I saved enough on the sale of the LP12 to get a great cart on top.

Here’s my original thread on LH :

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=6051.0

The LH community is predominantly DIY and contains several very talented engineers and artisans. I would hate anyone to think it was a site dedicated to glorifying the stock Lenco!

Cheers,

Nic.
Just saw your build on Lenco Heaven and it looked like a great job. I am about to embark on the Lenco journey and will start with a more basic ply plinth but who knows where it will end. Are you still happy with the Garrards?

J

Just saw your build on Lenco Heaven and it looked like a great job. I am about to embark on the Lenco journey and will start with a more basic ply plinth but who knows where it will end. Are you still happy with the Garrards?
Yes, but not using one atm. I've gone over to the dark side and running a Technics. Truth is I don't seem to be able to find the time to tinker with vinyl at the minute.

advertisement

Back