advertisement

Lenco L70 project

They can still be had at a good price. That one on the wine box cost me £18.50 delivered. You'll notice the ones that come up on eBay as collection only fetch a fraction of those that will deliver. Just ask the seller if they will pack it, if you'll arrange collection. If they say yes, use a service like Interparcel - they'll charge about £7 to £8 for pickup and delivery to you for a package of Lenco size and weight.

Just ask the seller if they will pack it,

And if they say 'yes', be sure to ask them to remove the platter and pack it separately. If not, it'll likely become detached, bounce around in transit and do serious damage to the deck, arm, plinth, lid, etc. It's a heavy lump of metal!

Cheers!
Adrian

And if they say 'yes', be sure to ask them to remove the platter and pack it separately. If not, it'll likely become detached, bounce around in transit and do serious damage to the deck, arm, plinth, lid, etc. It's a heavy lump of metal!

Yes, and remove the arm weights, secure the arm and do up the transit bolts on the motor

The L85 is a very late belt drive model, not considered a 'proper' Lenco by the Lencoistas. It's heavy platter and idler drive that you want.

Tony.

just noticed L-85 on a local flea market. the lid is broken, the rest looks OK. is it worth of fiddling...?

It's a completely different beast to the heavy idlers - It's a lighter weight, electronically controlled belt drive - 80s on I think. No doubt it would give a reasonably good performance, but I'd guess if you are going to do some tweakery, you may as well do it to one of the heavy idlers.

Just in case everyyone is not aware. Seller is responsible for delivery on Ebay goods. I never let anyone arrange a courier because if owt goes wrong your Ebay protected rights as seller are compromised. Just a thought...

Just in case everyyone is not aware. Seller is responsible for delivery on Ebay goods. I never let anyone arrange a courier because if owt goes wrong your Ebay protected rights as seller are compromised. Just a thought...

A lot of people will though, and the name of the game here is to get yourself a Lenco for less than £25 rather than paying over £50 for one. We aren't talking big money. If I were a seller and we were talking big money I'd be concerned maybe.

My slow lenco restoration, plinth needs to be finished, it's ebony veneer over stacked birch ply, the top-plate has been re-cut to fit an Aro for larks (not fitted yet but top in place to see how it may look!)

_0010563.jpg

It's a completely different beast to the heavy idlers - It's a lighter weight, electronically controlled belt drive - 80s on I think. No doubt it would give a reasonably good performance, but I'd guess if you are going to do some tweakery, you may as well do it to one of the heavy idlers.

The GL85 was the 'top-of-the-line' deck from the early 70s. It was a pretty sophisticated belt-drive deck with electronic speed control, a much better arm than contemporary GL75s (more akin to the rare P77 arm) and a novel suspension system. I tend to think of it as being similar in performance and spec to the Thorens TD125 - in short capable of sounding bloody good.

One thing to watch out for is the speed control circuit. This can 'die' and if so the deck will still work, but will play about 3% fast.

Cheers
Adrian

That looks impressive, let's have a pic from a bit further back so the plinth is more visible. How is it sounding?

Tony.

That looks impressive, let's have a pic from a bit further back so the plinth is more visible. How is it sounding?

Tony.

Worth a whirl - definitely. In my opinion, it's every bit as well built as a TD125 - let's face it they're both the product of those crafty Swiss! :)

Late comment. The GL85 arm is only better in that it has slightly lower mass. The main hang-up is possibly that the light platter and servo's with 2 gramme tracking cartridges may just cause sero-hunting. Having used a couple for short periods I don't think the GL75 and siblings have anything to worry about.

P.S. I'd still say that a TD125 would be a better deck than the GL85...:cool:

advertisement

Back