advertisement

Lenco GL75 restoration

sideshowbob

Champagne fascia aficionado
Last summer I bought a Lenco GL75 for £75. Seller had no idea if it even powered up, but I fancied a restoration job, having never worked on a turntable before. But it ended up staying in the garage, while I got distracted building a preamp and a power amp. A couple of weeks ago I finally got it out and took a look.

The motor worked, and ran silent. No idler wheel present, just a broken tensioner spring. The plinth in reasonable shape, the arm shot. The platter in need of a polish but otherwise sound. Given the motor seemed fine, worth a shot.

So, I bought a NOS idler from eBay, and set to work rewiring the original bell wire with three core. I earthed it properly, and replaced the ancient spark suppressor cap with a new one.

Here's the new wiring in progress

lenco1.jpeg

The old cap

lenco2.jpeg

New idler fitted

lenco3.jpeg

Then the motor and bearing were stripped down, cleaned and relubed. Here's the bearing

lenco4a.jpeg

My Linn geometry Jelco 250 is a drop in replacement for the original arm, it just needed a collar shim, also acquired from eBay, which also gives easy VTA adjustment with 2 grub screws.

lenco4.jpeg

Even in the stock plinth there's no idler rumble, and the motor is dead silent, but a seller on eBay (ultramagnus404) is offering nice looking heavy ply plinths for a very reasonable price. I ordered one, and 10 days later it arrived, looking very smart.

lenco5.jpeg

I gave it four layers of beeswax polish. Here it is after the first layer

lenco6.jpeg

The finished deck

lenco7.jpeg

Total cost about £300 (I already had the arm and a Michell Unicover), and a couple of hours of my time. After a few adjustments having relubed the bearing the speeds are spot on, all four of them. Pitch stability is perfect. Low end welly is awesome. This is by some distance the best record player I've ever owned. These are beautiful decks to work on. Quality motor, very simple design, nothing is hidden or inaccessible. And the lencoheaven website is full of information. Prices of GL75s are going up, but they're still a fraction of what you have to pay to get a Garrard. Very satisfying restore job, this.

Nice work sideshowbob, I did a similar thing to this last year except I used an Ortofon AS-212 arm & built my own plinth.
Agreed they are excellent, underrated decks, prices don't yet reflect this fact but I have noticed they been edging upwards. Anyone who lusts after a Garrard or Thorens idler deck but can't afford the admission price should jump on one of these sooner rather than later.
20200812-192635.jpg

I've now moved on to this, a PTP Lenco with Rega RB303, again with a home made plinth. Haven't decided on a finish yet hence the " unfinished" look.
20210605-140232.jpg

Excellent stuff. As you say lovely decks to work on, and that looks like a great result. How does the arm size-up VTA wise? It is usually hard to find arms that don’t end up too high up.

Excellent stuff. As you say lovely decks to work on, and that looks like a great result. How does the arm size-up VTA wise? It is usually hard to find arms that don’t end up too high up.

VTA is fine with an SPU #1 and an Ortofon Rohmann, both of which are tallish carts. But the Jelco looks to have enough pillar adjustment to cope with most things.

The iterations of the GL75's are really elegant, probably two of the nicest that I've seen, and I've been a member on Lenco Heaven since 2010.
The original arms were the reason that I wouldn't contemplate ownership of a GL75, even when they were available new.
I currently prefer using a G99 to my other idlers, but I'm slowly assembling the parts for a PTP 6 build. However, the combination of C-19 restrictions which made travelling to collect suitable donor decks or parts almost impossible, and the results of the poorly negotiated Brexit 'deal' which has made the acquisition of new replacement/improved parts from mainland Europe a much more complex and expensive option, have almost brought it to a halt.
The image of Mr. Scarlett's system has not only reinforced my desire to return to a simpler record reproduction system, but also increased my regret that I parted with my original Quad 33/303 purchased in the mid '70's
Regards
Mike Kelshaw

Really wish I had kept my GL75. I had it on an extremely ghetto plinth but even with an original arm it had the most muscular thwack of any turntable I've had (I think the Pickering cart I bought off of Tony may have helped)

it is possible to turn the turntable clockwise 90°, and put an arm in a arm pod along side. The stock arm is not good, although some people seem to like it! I give mine away. I put a carbon fibre wand on one, but it's the bearings (they were new) lets the side down, IMHO.

Here is one of mine (I have seven in various stages of repair) all with non-Lenco arms, apart from the '59.

The 'arm pod' extant is only to gauge the correct height for the arm.

51283192001_de03c64d3b_z.jpg

If I didn't have the Jelco, which has the correct geometry to work as a straight replacement for the original arm, I would have gone the route of rotating the deck and putting an armboard on a new plinth, although it always looks a little odd to me that way.

IMO the turntable sounds better with the arm mounted on the plinth rather than the top plate. I realise turning a GL75 90' may be a bit odd looking but it does get that on/off switch away from the stylus. If that doesn't appeal you can always cut a large hole in the top plate and mount the arm through it and onto the plinth but for some that might be considered a bit drastic :eek:

Ref:
"IMO the turntable sounds better with the arm mounted on the plinth rather than the top plate. I realise turning a GL75 90' may be a bit odd looking but it does get that on/off switch away from the stylus".

Agreed. This works well for me.
It does make the plinth huge and weight a lot though!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h4cWLDDgaB6B2u7T7

If i click not he image icon above and enter the 'image URL', I get:

h4cWLDDgaB6B2u7T7

How do i get the link above into a visible picture please?
Could do with learning to do this as I have a project coming up that I think a few of you would like to see?

Ref:
"IMO the turntable sounds better with the arm mounted on the plinth rather than the top plate. I realise turning a GL75 90' may be a bit odd looking but it does get that on/off switch away from the stylus".

Agreed. This works well for me.
It does make the plinth huge and weight a lot though!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h4cWLDDgaB6B2u7T7

If i click on the image icon above and enter the 'image URL', I get:

h4cWLDDgaB6B2u7T7

How do i get the link above into a visible picture please?
Could do with learning to do this as I have a project coming up that I think a few of you would like to see?

The next step in the game is to make a larger plinth and install a 12" arm without change of orientation of the top plate. For cosmetics it is recommended to close the hole in the top plate where the old arm sat. Better still, try to get hold of a PTP.

advertisement

Back