Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Lenco G75 - Worth the effort?

Discussion in 'classic' started by pauljdh, Mar 6, 2021.

1. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

Needs a red cartridge, too monochrome. :D

Nic Robinson likes this.
  2. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I have the (unique I think) red nose Karma here but if needs a rebuild. Sadly I don’t own the Lenco or Ittok any longer.

3. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

I think that the Lencos have a huge amount of potential. I have an 88, which admittedly is a different animal, but it sounds fantastic.

4. mjkelshaw

mjkelshaw pfm Member

+1
    Browsing on Lenco Heaven will demonstrate the many possibilities.
    I have a G99 which certainly holds its own alongside the 401 and TD124 II in my 'upstairs' system.

Regards
    Mike K.

5. Darmok

Darmok "They're going to need a much bigger dock"

The GL 75 was the workhorse in discotheques during the 70's

pickwickpapers likes this.
  6. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

I have a standard GL75 as my second deck, Shure M55 cart fitted, sounds ok to me, but not looking for great things. I have a denon 103 but its on my SME 3009 at the moment (and it works with an added weight)

narabdela likes this.
  7. itskeith

itskeith pfm Member

Yes well worth it, as is the advice here and join Lenco Heaven :)

8. itskeith

itskeith pfm Member

Stick with it, it's well worth it.
    Change the v blocks is a must and Join Lencoheaven :)

9. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

I blame you lot. I just saw a GL75 6 miles down the road for collection only on eBay. Looks like I've just won my next restoration project.

337alant, sideshowbob, Pkay and 5 others like this.
  10. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

A quick update on the GL75.
    It's not in as bad a condition as it originally looked. Plinth is shot so that definitely needs replacing. Arm is not sagging excessively and the V-blocks are intact, but I have new ones coming. I shall be re-wiring this afternoon to get it up to modern safety specs, but have had a quick listen with a spare AT95E I have (I mean, who hasn't got one ready to be pressed into quick service? ;)). It had a DIN plug on the end - I knew that recently bought NAC72 would come in handy.

How can I describe the sound? Solid, fast, involving. I can see their appeal.

11. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

But please, get rid of that arm!

12. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

Oh I know, it’s terrible. It feels weird using such a high mass arm with 2g ish of tracking weight. I’m curious as to how it can sound but accept it’ll need a better arm. Any recommendations for a cheap and cheerful arm to use for now?

13. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Rega R200 (fro before the RB series). Allegedly made by Acos. Got one on my GL75. Only slight adjustment to mounting hole needed.

14. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Jelco 250 is a drop in replacement, just needs a collar to make it a snug fit in the existing hole (you can get one from eBay, or make one by cutting a 35mm film container).

15. RichShortland

RichShortland pfm Member

Linn Akito is a good (and easy) drop in. Great decks

16. Helen Bach

Helen Bach if it ain't Baroque ...

another arm is a must, a Lenco arm does the turntable no favours. I have three Rega arms with my seven Lenco's. Lencoheaven is OK if you do what they say and don't disagree with them. There are a few good guys on there, but not many, who seem very blinkered.

[​IMG]

17. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

Well, I've re-lubed the motor, idler, and the main bearing and I can't hear the slightest bit of rumble. I've rewired the output cable, motor and switch. It's now fully earthed and a lot better insulated where mains exists. Stock Lenco arm now has new V blocks. This really rocks. I'm tempted with that AT3600l I have lying around too.
    I'm torn between spending a load of money on a new plinth, cartridge and arm, or just enjoying what this [currently] bargain basement TT can do. Unfortunately I live in a rather wobbly floored house and putting a shelf up isn't going to be allowed so to enjoy it further I think it really needs a solid footing.

Next projects: Redesign Naim's 322 MM card for easy input capacitance changing, Martin's DC Motor thingy or a PSU rebuild on the RD11e, that active SBL crossover project...

18. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

I'm having a love/hate relationship with this TT. I'm going to have to spend on a plinth and a tonearm to get the best out of it, and I mustn't move too quickly near it at present because the room movement and current suspension is appalling. A big mass and some clever positioning may help but I'm going to end up moving house before I can use it properly! Yet it has a musicality I can't put into words. Arghh.

Not sure whether to file it away for a rainy day project, or sell it on and revisit at a later date (as long it's not the next Garrard 401..)

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

What plinth do you have? If it is one of the ones with a sprung base you may find it is far less prone to footfall with that locked out.

20. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

How do you "lock it out" Tony? I have to creep about when mine is in play.