advertisement

Leica T

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
I want one!

I really, really want one..... an advert that pushes all my buttons.... but also a little creepy and clearly for boys who like boys who like...

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wavering until I saw the cute little dedicated man bag it comes with at the end.

Ming Thein's review. World premiere: The 2014 Leica T (Typ 701) review

The touch screen looks brilliant but I can't say I'm that fussed about the camera. A reasonable APS-C sensor. It leaves me very cold. I'll stick with my X100 and OMD. I'd take the Ricoh GR over this new Leica any day.

The usual glowing praise from Mr Huff, but at least you can see the camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical marketing BS, nothing more. The same things can be applied to any camera on the market.

Yet another re-branded overpriced piece of plastic, like Hasselblad.

Watch the film - each camera is milled from a block of solid aluminium and then crafted by hand for 45 minutes- plastic is one thing it ain't!

The lenses are all new - you need a M mount adaptor for older M lenses.

And if it's an overpriced flop I'll be able to afford one in a year or so!

Ming Thein thinks it's a game changer not a gimmick - and Huff got all over excited as he tends to about new toys.......

The marketing is quite entertainingly and ironically OTT. A slow, 45 min. film of someone slowly filing a block of aluminium while wearing latex gloves is brilliantly arch!

Kevin

What bollocks, they need a unique selling point, a solid lump of ali has been done time and time again, and whats this, someone polished it for 45 minutes? Wow.

I would want a princess polishing it on her thighs at leica prices. (for more than 45 minutes)

Looks to me like Fuji stole a march on them, and they are now trying to catch up. It's been a long time since Leica produced anything innovative, and they have certainly priced themselves out of my camera bag.

Build quality looks fabulous for a compact and the interface looks easy to use. I can’t imagine Leica signing off any glass, which isn’t anything other than excellent by their standards (not anyone else’s).

Ok, it ain’t the same as my M9, but it’s not the same money either. Also different market. It’s not going to be in my camera bag, but that’s because I have too many already. But for someone, who wants a really high quality compact, which is easy to use, why not?

Horses for courses - I was gobsmacked by the engineering and the results that I see on Steve Huffs site.

It's ironic IMHO that many audiophiles who will readily spend squillions of dollars on audio electronics with fancy cases, a mythical PR story about the development and 'ground breaking technology inside', and yet, even where controlled testing reveals them to have no better sonic results than vastly cheaper mainstream products, will still prefer the fancy case, and hyped up expensive 'audiophile item', citing 'superior sound'.

Yet, when confronted with the same marketing concept of a camera, cry foul, overpriced, poor value etc.

To a large degree it's all about subjective choice in HiFi or Cameras, and usually we all like different things for different reasons.

Leica glass has always had a rep of being without peer in the 35mm camera field, and certainly that has always been born out to some degree in the 'look' of the photographic results.

I see that 'look' on Steve Huffs pics with the new 'T' Leica, and I love the idea of a compact camera with that sort of picture quality available, and an interface that does to cameras, what the iPhone did to smart phones.

Add in the hewn from solid MacBook Pro build quality, and I'll be very surprised if it doesn't sell exceptionally well.

Apart from being APS-C sensor, if it was FF and I had the $$'s, I'd have one in a heartbeat.

But then, I just like shiny bling boxes.... like audiophile kit then... :)

Best

John..:cool:

Chaps

This is the compact camera for those who want the best, all cameras need good lenses and you cannot beat a Leica lens.

This is Mrs Micks next birthday present sorted out.

Regards

Mick - still clicking away with his M6.

well, it looks nice, but it could be nicer - the curve of the hand grip looks a little odd - making it a bit ugly like a NEX camera.

I'd have to see one in the flesh, and if it looked cool like a baby mac book pro with retina display, then maybe I'd like it more.

Watch the film - each camera is milled from a block of solid aluminium and then crafted by hand for 45 minutes- plastic is one thing it ain't!

The lenses are all new - you need a M mount adaptor for older M lenses.

And if it's an overpriced flop I'll be able to afford one in a year or so!

Ming Thein thinks it's a game changer not a gimmick - and Huff got all over excited as he tends to about new toys.......

The marketing is quite entertainingly and ironically OTT. A slow, 45 min. film of someone slowly filing a block of aluminium while wearing latex gloves is brilliantly arch!

Kevin

Ok it's a shiny polished overpriced piece of rebadged crap.

you cannot beat a Leica lens.

well, yes you can actually.

The Zeiss Biogon 21mm F2.8 for M mount is significantly sharper than the equiavelent Leica Elmarit lens. OK, there is no direct competitor to the Noctilux F0.95 for M mount, but there are plenty of lenses around 85-100mm that are sharper than the 90mm APO Aspherical Summicron. Sharpness isn't everything, there is a case to be made for the APO ASPH Summicron 50mm to be the sharpest and best lens for micro contrast in the 50mm prime category. But that lens is significantly worse than other lenses like the 58mm Nikkor when it comes to flare resistance and definition of point light sources.

Of my collection of Leica mount lenses, the 35mm Summilux with the floating rear lens element and the 75mm APO Aspherical Summircon are stand out lenses compared to my Nikkors. But the outstanding lens in my kit is probably a Zuiko digital lens - the 35-100 zoom with constant F2 aperture. Unlike the new T Zoom Leica, Olympus went out to make the fastest sharpest zoom possible and achieved that with minimum compromise. Most Leica M lenses are compromised a bit by the insistance on making the lenses as small as possible.

I'd be interested to see what you can make with the new T when you mount one of your M lenses on it. Not so sure about that new zoom.

Shiny polished overpriced - might that apply to hi-fi too? There are some bits of hi-fi, which do indeed look very shiny, highly polished and very expensive. Crap? well, not to those, who have shelled out loadsa money for something like a Devialet, Dartzeel, TRON, Wilson etc.

The T isn’t going to be for me. I already have too many cameras incl. Leicas - M9, M6TTL, M2 (my favourite), 2 DMRs etc. I like my cameras to have a couple of dials, rings on lenses and be fully manual. I still wet print in a darkroom - nothing smaller than 16x12. Thinking about trying platinum printing too. Call me old fashioned. Maybe that’s why I like valves, vinyl and Deccas.

But most people who buy cameras aren’t like me. They want something which takes good quality pictures, is easy to work, compact and well built. Stylish is an extra, but essential for some buyers. I haven’t handled a T, but it looks to tick the boxes for the well heeled, quality conscious buyer.

Hi Cliff

The wife's birthday is a few months away, so the purchase is a while away yet.

I am guessing you buy the "T" body and then use whatever lens you wish.

I have a 35/2, 50/2 and a 90/2.8 set of lenses and could use them but the zoom lens does seem to fit the bill and is easier to carry around.

I find it a very attractive package.

Regards

Mick

advertisement

Back