advertisement

Leica question

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
My wife bought me a Leica TL for my birthday ( it was a big birthday). I've been using Fuji X's since the x100 came out but have always hankered after a bit of a Leica experience. While the M's are way out of our budget the TL is a beautiful thing. Like the Fujis it uses a APS-C sensor but the images amazingly sharp and crisp.

I need to update the firmware - the camera came with v2.1 loaded but there is v2.3 available. The firmware downloads are in .tuf files which I can't get to open - I've tried on my Mac and also a windows machine we have in the house.

Has anyone used these to update firmware? If so, can you guide on how you got them to open?

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

I've updated many cameras and loaded up hacks as well.
Use your file manager to transfer the file to an SD card, make sure the battery in your camera is fully charged, switch off, insert the card and switch on. You should then see some instructions about how to load the update.

Cheers - J

If it’s like the M cameras, you don’t open them on a computer. You copy them to the root directory of a card and put that in the camera. You then follow the procedure for updating the firmware - that should be in the manual, if you don’t have a manual you’ll be able to download it from the Leica website.

Thanks all, that's pretty much what I have to do with he Fujis and what is outlined on the installation instructions. However, the doc I download doesn't seem to have a file to copy to the SD, which I've got set up and ready.

I can download the installation instructions but not the software. The screen on both the Mac and the surface pro say "there is no application to open the document" and send me to their respective app stores. I don't need to open it, just drag it into the SD card. All I am seeing is a blank file.

To see if it was an issue with this individual file I tried some other downloads for different cameras from the Leica site ( a Monochrom M - one can but dream) but had the same issue. I've not come across .tuf files before. The linked file name is TL_2300.TUF.

Indeed !! That's where I got to - Im sure it can't be that difficult and I'm missing something blindingly obvious. I've contacted the Leica UK customer service team to see if they can advise me on what that might be.

I'll update once I find out.

Kevin

Hi Mike,

thanks. I tried it on my iPad and it downloads. That is so weird - the small and uninformed IT section of my brain can't make sense of that at all. I can save it via icloud and then load onto the SD.

Thank you!

Kevin

However ... when I both emailed the file to myself and shared it via icloud it wouldn't open and had the same issue as when I downloaded it directly.

It turns out you need to unlock the SD before it will accept the file - who knew :oops:

It was useful to pause though - what the instructions don't tell you is that you have to apply every update in sequence. I would have gone from 2.1 straight to 2.4 which would have left all sort of disconnects in the camera.

Leica have very good customer service - as they should at those prices!

A sigma 45mm. Beautifully crisp. Of course GAS has kicked in and I’m craving the L fit 23mm

I've only just remembered, while doing a skim through some old posts, that I first lusted after one of these 6 years ago. Mrs B has a good memory.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/leica-t.155479/

I know this is now an older camera and, with the multiple upgrades in camera tech, lower spec than subsequent models but I do rather love using it. I still feel very attached to my Fujis but the images from this, with the Sigma, are quite lovely. I'm still trying to justify going for one of the T fit lenses to go with it - maybe the 23mm or for a bit for flexibility rather than portability the heavier 11-23mm zoom

advertisement

Back