advertisement

Left Rega RP10 running for 1 week!

Jazzyguy

pfm Member
ahhh!

One night after listening to my Rega RP10, I took the arm off the record and put it in the rest. Forgot to switch off the table. This was 6 days ago! I found it today spinning from then.

About a year ago I used a KAB speed strobe on the unit and it was showing the table spinning at 0.07% fast where as today it is at 0.2% fast. I'm not sure if this is just coincidence though as the measurements are 1 year apart.

Any damage as a result here of leaving the table running this long?

Be thankful you didn't leave the arm down in the runout groove and switch off the amplifier. That would be around 100 sides per day cartridge wear

Don't worry about it , left my P9 running when I had a weekend away , why would there be a problem unless this was a badly designed deck which it is not.

If motors had thoughts I bet yours was worried if you had maybe fallen over or were taken ill. I can see it playing up now just to get its revenge.

I can remember many of the men whom I knew who worked at the Garrard factory in Swindon telling me that leaving a TT running 24 hrs a day for over a week was nothing unusual.

I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Can someone please tell the OP he would not have had a problem had he purchased a Direct Drive/Idler Turntable.:D

On a more serious note you should be fine.:)

I wouldn't be over worried about a year left on if bearings etc of good enough quality.... IIRC one hi fi dealer had a Transcriptors TT running in the window non stop for like 30 years or so!

Do Rega bearings ever wear out? 1970s-80s Planar 2s and 3s still seem to be fine from what I can tell!

Do Rega bearings ever wear out? 1970s-80s Planar 2s and 3s still seem to be fine from what I can tell!

Legend has it that Linn has never had to replace a single bearing due to wear... My late 60's/V early 70's EMT built Thorens TD-150 has no determinable wear and is quiet as a (dead) mouse. I'm sure your TD-124 is also other than having threshing machine drive:D

advertisement

Back