advertisement

Left-handed/Upside-down Guiness

There is very little that is small scale and industrial, not even medicines in the main, where batches of very many kilos or even tons are normal. I suspect that you are talking dissolved gasses?
The simplest way to degas dissolved gas is heat, if that is permissible.
The simplest way to de-bubble liquids is to flow them in a shallow layer, over a weir. Done right, the bubbles will be so near to the surface that they will get to the surface and be lost. I have only seen one glass furnace, making soft/soda-lime glass, the actual furnace itself being about the size of at least 3-4 very large two-storey terraced houses - that degassed the molten glass over a weir, which fed immediately to the mandrel, which formed the tube being made.

My personal experience is from the degassing of solvents for Liquid Chromatography where Helium was the thing for many years but vacuum degassers have taken over. Analytical LC is used in manufacture but for batch testing not production. Some preparative scale LC is used for pilot scale production and in the Biologics world. My FIL worked in the steel industry and they use vacuum degassing in the production of steel.

^ It's the only beer - in fact, recreational alcohol of any kind - that ever gave me a cartoon style spitting headache hangover and intolerance for loud noises the morning after. I don't know why anybody drinks the abomination :eek:
Shows how we’re all different!

I don’t drink often now and usually when I do, it’s in real moderation but occasionally (like at a stag do or something) I’ll get carried away, I can drink 6-7 pints of Guinness through a night and feel fresh the next day... however if I start on cask ales or premium larger, I can feel a bit rough... and spirits make me feel dog rough if I consume much more than a couple of double measures, I love whiskey and especially some of the Irish varieties but I have to be very careful on it.

Last time I drank more than two pints in a night was at my mates stag do in July... that was a night out at The Bierkeller on Broad St Birmingham (plus a couple of places before and after). Amazing night out but holy crap I felt I’ll for a couple of days afterwards. It’s probably the last time I’ll get silly like that!

advertisement

Back