advertisement

Left-handed/Upside-down Guiness

Looks great and I am almost tempted. Can't stand Guinness myself but my Nan drank it every day and she lived into her 90's so it must have some positive qualities. I do have fond memories of the Guinness Clock which used to be a feature of the Autumn illuminations in Southend but that was a long time ago.

If you search, there are reviews online - rated basically OK.

Their idea was to make a stout, not a Guinness taste-alike, that was white with a black head.

I much prefer Murphy's to Guinness and Beamish (extra) stout, but will drink either, although Guinness West Indies porter is nice enough. If anyone likes porter, try Titanic (Stoke-on-Trent brewery, I believe) plum porter - it varies a bit but is never worse than very nice in my experience (available bottled). Another brewery has made plum porter in the past 12 months or so that was available locally, possibly Everards - one pint was nice at the beginning, but too much of a good thing towards the bottom of the first glass.

A Stout is a type of beer, like a Porter, IPA, NEIPA, DIPA, TIPA, mild, lager etc etc. Guiness is beer of category Stout.

Definitions change with time and place.

In the US, beer is as you have said, but top-fermented beer is ale, and bottom-fermented beer is lager. To be honest, I, and most people I know, ask if you drink beer or lager (these days it ought to be beer, lager or cider).

Guinness has nitrogen and CO2 bubbles whereas most beers just have CO2 bubbles (I think). This means that instead of rising as bubbles do in beer and lager, the bubbles in Guinness fall.

If nitrogen or carbon dioxide, or any gas, sank in water, we'd all be in very serious trouble.
If any gas sank in Guinness, how would it get a head?

I would be pretty sure that the pattern on the inside surface of a glass of Guinness, as it settles, is an optical illusion due to the number and size of bubbles rising and liquid draining from the head.

If you take a look online, it pours as a pinkish dark tan and slowly goes pale pinkish brown to white as the head forms and the head appears to be black all along. Judged from pic's online, it takes a reasonable while for the beer to become convincingly white.
The idea was a total copy of Guinness in appearance, just reversed.

... I do have fond memories of the Guinness Clock which used to be a feature of the Autumn illuminations in Southend but that was a long time ago.

Nothing to do with the former (late) MPs for Southend West, by chance?

advertisement

Back