advertisement

Led Zeppelin

Contains for me the definitive version of "Dazed and Confused".

Oh yes...

Jimmy absolutely killing it for nearly 30 minutes - sure, self indulgent for some of it (and who knows how much editing), and he looks pretty out of it... but I love it....just superb.

My favourite Led zep moment is the guitar solo on SIBLY . Loved their music since I was a kid

That's a good one, also the intro to "Tea For One" which sounds like a trainwreck waiting to happen, but they hold it together.

Their early performances on the more recent 'DVD', 'How the West was won' and the live Paris '71 set from the BBC sessions CD are all far more exuberant and inspired than the performances on 'The Song Remains the Same'. I have some boots from '75 and '77 with 30 minute renditions of 'No Quarter' that are also pretty amazing, if a bit lo-fi. And, yeah, the guitar solo on the studio version of 'Since I've Been Lovng You' is absolutely incredible - the way it evokes psychedelia whilst staying within the blues is music so rich you can almost bite it.

I really like 'The song remains the same' both to watch and to listen to the soundtrack. If I be so bold as to mention 'Celebration Day' ( I know.........no JHB, no Zeppelin). Well as a visual representation of that gig, I think it works very well. However listening back to the soundtrack, it does not work for a number of reasons, one being that although Jason is a fantastic drummer but for me, lacks the groove of his Dad. All just my IMO of course.

Just listening to the bluray TSRTS soundtrack and it sounds pretty good to me. Band are going for it and the recording quality is good for live recordings of that period. I prefer this to the film version - just the live performances in original set order.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Hot Dog...

some great stuff and some duffers on every album. How The West Was Won definitely my favourite of the legal stuff and doesn’t feel diluted the way the anaesthetised official live 1975 album did. Otherwise you had to get hold of bootlegs to hear them honestly.

Ages since I've heard it. For years my favourite Led Zep Live recording was a '77 bootleg from somewhere in the US with a phenomenal 27 minute version of No Quarter.
probably live in Seattle, it went with all my other vinyl to my brother in law 10 years ago. I also had the Copenhagen nights and knebworth but never did manage to get hold of the 1971 Live on Blueberry Hill which I was fortunate enough to borrow for a weekend once. “John Bonham on the sticks and skins!!!” says Percy after the Moby Dick solo.

advertisement

Back