advertisement

Led Zeppelin

I saw Zep at Knebworth in 1979 and was so disappointed with the album when it came out a few weeks later, as were many.
Interesting to hear what the follow up album would have been like. Sure I read Jimmy say It was gonna be stripped back and riff heavy. But we were never to know....
Oh and I think Presence is great.

Yes, I was at the first night (Utopia were brilliant) and I remember getting the album and thinking it was a huge disappointment.

Presence has grown on me as I've got older. Its interesting to view it against the history of its creation, after Plant's accident in 75 and the work Page had to do to bring the album about, plus there are no keyboards at all (unless you count the bonus track on the 2015 remaster) a fact which I've only recently noticed.

All their albums have something to offer, but For me its the debut album that stands out. Recorded and mixed in 36 hours, it is one of the greatest rock debut albums of all time IMO.

I think that's what it's all about; over-production kills a lot of otherwise good albums. I stopped liking them after II.

Well, I bought the LZ IV, with the well known song "Starway to heaven".The Led Zeppelin I is great too, I might buy it!

Last edited:
"Stairway to Heave" is more like it.

If that song had remained a "deep cut" it'd be fine. but through overplay it's become like Chinese water torture.

Can I repurpose an old joke here that goes... the fact that there is a stairway to heaven but a highway to hell says a lot about expected traffic volumes

Sorry... I'll get my coat

Overall I think their quality control was really good. Very little from the additional material released in the deluxe box sets really made me think - oops they should have used that cut! I saw them in 1973 in the 1300 capacity Aberdeen Music Hall when they were basically playing the Song Remains The Same set list. Great showmanship and virtuosity. Stairway was only a couple of years old then so not unwelcome at all then!
Back to the best albums -

IV - any album that starts with Black Dog then Rock and Roll - and then drops to mandolin folk music - Battle of Evermore- is on a winner with me.

Physical Graffiti- their most varied offering in my view - again - 2 rip roaring rockers to start - Custard Pie and The Rover - followed by 11 minutes of slide blues rock.- In my time of dying. Bonham’s drumming is immense. Plus Kashmir- which is truly epic.

III is a great mix of acoustic songs - Friends - That’s the way-, blues - Since I’ve been loving you , and rock Out on the tiles , Immigrant Song plus Gallows pole which starts so quietly but builds up.

Presence - does seem to divide the audience! I I love it. A tight rock band playing electric guitar music. They chose For Your life to represent the album at the O2 Celebration Day concert - and the recorded version on Presence has a really inventive solo and the riff is sooo tight. Hots on for Nowhere is also worth a listen. Not many bands could play this one with the pauses , false endings and a ridiculous twangy guitar solo from Page.

But all their albums have some merit.

Beginners could do worse than seeking out the Remasters double cd set which I preferred both in sound and selection to the more recent Mothership.

all essential listening in my humble opinion, but if I had to pick one, it would be III. Gallows Pole turned up to eleven. once the wifes gone out.
yes, agree with you. Gallows Pole sums everything's that's best about them. Unledded version (interesting that no-one is mentioning that brilliant venture at all ... ) is fantastic too, with the sadly deceased Michael Lee doing a fantastic drumming job on it.

yes, agree with you. Gallows Pole sums everything's that's best about them. Unledded version (interesting that no-one is mentioning that brilliant venture at all ... ) is fantastic too, with the sadly deceased Michael Lee doing a fantastic drumming job on it.

I heard a version of "Tea For One" from the Page-Plant band that was pretty amazing. Percy announced that it was the first time it had been attempted live, and the intro very nearly turned into a trainwreck but they saved it, a magnificent shambles.

saw the unledded show in Wembley arena.
two refugees from a bernard manning tribute act, sat directly behind us, amused themselves by making racist comments (i.e.the egyptian orchestra and indian singer on 'battle') and then left after a number of songs. I kid you not.

I’d say it’s more about songs than albums.

Yup.

Lifelong fan here - but I still don't think I could name a favourite album. There are some truly great tracks on just about every album (Presence notwithstanding perhaps..:) ) - but there is some dross on most of them as well.

To the OP - take your time and sample as much of it as you can (or perhaps ..'can bear', if its really not to your liking :))

advertisement

Back