Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

LED link to headphones

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Jim Audiomisc, May 14, 2022.

1. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Raising this as a result of an earlier posting on the general 'audio' part of PFM getting no response.

Anyone know of a DIY system to use something like mark-space modulated LEDs to send 'wirelessly' stereo audio from an existing stereo system to a pair of existing headphones?

i.e. *not* a digital link, nor one tied to a specific pair of headphones. But something that could take an analogue input from a stereo system and send it to a portable box the user can wear and plays the audio into their chosen pair of headpnones.

2. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

My friend is hard of hearing and gets a device when he visits the local theatre. I understand it picks up audio over an infrared link and feeds it into a stethoscope type headset.

3. bravem01

bravem01 Active Member

Quite common in theatres is a sennheiser ir system, don't know if its hifi though

4. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

An FM system is more likely, I used to have a pair like this.
    VCO in the sender
    PLL receiver
    A 1994 patent https://patents.google.com/patent/US5548654
    I was doing the same in 1983 for sending audio in my GEC McMichael days

5. Ian G

Ian G pfm Member

I'm sure my father in law had such a system for watching television, I had a listen and it wasn't hifi but fine for TV especially if you were as deaf as a post.

6. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

My first DIY thought was a system that used LEDs to carry a stereo MPX and decoder based on that of FM radio.

7. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Good thought! I'd forgotten about those systems as I've not been to a theatre in years because of covid, etc. I'll see if I can find something that make that can be used, or bodged.

8. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

If you want good quality, a S/PDIF interface driving a proper infra red LED and PIN diode receiver with a limiting amplifier would give you 44.1 ksps stereo over a few metres

9. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I had wondered about the spdif route. But FM via LEDs -> detector diode is tempting.

I just had a look to see if sennheiser sold anything like this, but all I could find was headphones/buds with it inbuilt

Canford sell links, but with mains powered TX and RX which would clearly be a problem for the RX being carried about in the kitchen! Nomimally 3A which would be a bit much for a battery pack if real. 8-] ...and their systems may be lossy. Coulding find a spec on that.

10. jpk

jpk pfm Member

How about this...?

11. Nara

Nara Well-Known Member

What about adding a bluetooth transmitter to your Hifi and then pairing to a bluetooth headphone? The main problem would be limited range.

A transmitter like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FT7HJW7/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 (I've not used this, just the first Amazon results. I'm sure you can get them with different inputs/ranges etc.)

And you could use something like the Fiio BTR5 to make your existing headphones bluetooth: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09G9TNB2R/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 (I'm sure cheaper options exist)

12. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

That's quite interesting! Thanks. :) Snag is that my hands/eyes aren't what they were so I doubt I could build it these days as shown. :-/

Sending as LPCM is good and and spdif in is OK as I can use an ADC in front of the TX.

13. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Thanks. I'll have a look in detail. Need to see how well the link actually preserves the info, etc. Also, I don't have a phone/tablet/etc so any system I use needs to work without needing such things to control it.