advertisement

Lector CD Players opinion

greygoose

pfm Member
Interested in opinions from owners past or present regarding Lector CD Players, Many reviews refer to a "dark" presentation from the higher end transport / dac, is this a common trend / feature.
Any advice welcome.

@Mike Reed is your expert here

I’ve owned one (I think it was a 607?) and it was temperamental. Drawer refused to open quite often. Sounded good but not amazing. A bit disappointing after my 20 year old Krell....

I used a Lector 0.5? for a year or two and imo very good CDP, sound is very nice.

I really liked using it with no problems whatsoever.

looked and sound fab with the side-cheek wood panelling and a leather-like finish on the case.
Seemed very well made to me, so yes, If the price was right I’d seriously
consider another(among quite a few other CD players tbf)

Tony

Not the best from a build quality point of view. Also no proper UK distribution.

A local dealer friend suggested that more recent (i.e., maybe last 5 + years) Lectors were not up to the earlier ones in build quality or reliability. Certainly my previous CDT7 (2 box), already 7 years old 4 years ago, never missed a beat; am quite sure its north London buyer is as knocked out by it as he was then.

My current 4 box one is getting on a bit, and apart from a slight Italian connection idiosyncrasy, has been both reliable and sonically compelling. I really don't know if anything else, Rega Isis included, could best its organic yet dynamic and thoroughly involving presentation. Only caveat would be the very high output (from both machines), which necessitated a low value attenuator into my pre.

Emporium (Norfolk, Kent and Wales) were suppliers, and still advertise Lector stuff, so I hope there still is a maintenance base in the U.K.

Ok honest mixed reviews regarding sound and reliability so far,

A local dealer friend suggested that more recent (i.e., maybe last 5 + years) Lectors were not up to the earlier ones in build quality or reliability. Certainly my previous CDT7 (2 box), already 7 years old 4 years ago, never missed a beat; am quite sure its north London buyer is as knocked out by it as he was then.

My current 4 box one is getting on a bit, and apart from a slight Italian connection idiosyncrasy, has been both reliable and sonically compelling. I really don't know if anything else, Rega Isis included, could best its organic yet dynamic and thoroughly involving presentation. Only caveat would be the very high output (from both machines), which necessitated a low value attenuator into my pre.

Emporium (Norfolk, Kent and Wales) were suppliers, and still advertise Lector stuff, so I hope there still is a maintenance base in the U.K.

I am interested in a high end musical sound over forensic detail as I have a Chord DAC already and I was considering a high end transport to use with it but anything decent is 1-2k, I have never had the pleasure of hearing the Rega Isis or even rarer Lector, My interest stems from a review of the 4 box unit you mentioned and the potential of one locally to me becoming available as I don't trust couriers....
Both models are rare second hand and with the better lector units the older units now it is hard to justify spending thousands on an oldie but goodie, on the other hand I believe Rega service is up there with the best and spare lasers available for every unit.
How old is the 4 box unit now 10 years? The high output voltage would also be an issue I was not aware of, does this limit the volume control of the Pre / Headphone amp i need to use with it or would it need separate individual attenuators?
I do remenber some reviews satating that there was minimal improvement between the CDT7 and the more expensive 4 Box Unit, would you concur with this as having had the pleasure of both units?

I am interested in a high end musical sound over forensic detail as I have a Chord DAC already and I was considering a high end transport to use with it but anything decent is 1-2k, I have never had the pleasure of hearing the Rega Isis or even rarer Lector.

My interest stems from a review of the 4 box unit you mentioned and the potential of one locally to me becoming available as I don't trust couriers....
Both models are rare second hand and with the better Lector units (the older units now) it is hard to justify spending thousands on an oldie but goody. On the other hand I believe Rega service is up there with the best and spare lasers available for every unit.

How old is the 4 box unit now; 10 years old? The high output voltage would also be an issue I was not aware of; does this limit the volume control of the pre. / headphone amp i need to use with it or would it need separate individual attenuators?

I do remember some reviews stating that there was minimal improvement between the CDT7 and the more expensive 4 box unit. Would you concur with this, having had the pleasure of both units?

Hi Greygoose. I think I know where you're coming from musically, and if so, you're on the right lines, i.m.o. Sorry about the paragraphing above, but it makes it easier for me to address your queries (my aged optical focussing problem with block texts).

Firstly, you mention transport but the CDT7 and others are complete transport and DAC units. Only the 4 box can be separated, though whether it can be purchased that way (i.e. transport and supply), I doubt. Anyway, it's the combination and the DAC specifically, not the transport alone, which is important to presentation. Again, the Isis is a complete unit, I believe, so I guess you're thinking of ditching the Chord DAC.

The uplift from 2 box to 4 box is, indeed, subtle but the 4 box is superior, of course (and with marginally less output than the 2 box according to spec's). Yes, my 4 box must be about a decade old now, but is only used once/twice a week (3 other sources to listen to). Rega are indeed known for their service, and I believe the C.E.O. is an occasional poster on this forum.

I researched attenuators thoroughly (putting a thread on here as well), as I didn't like the idea from a purist p.o.v. and tried 3 different values before settling on a -6 dB one, which does the trick with no discernible drawbacks. I was aware of this output situation when I had the Nac 552 (restricted volume control range) but it wasn't really a problem except with compressed CDs. With my E.A.R. 912, the meters tell me everything and made matching much simpler to effect.

My CDP history is limited, as I was dragged reluctantly into this format only in 2001 with a 2 box Meridian. I eventually upgraded to the Mer. G08 (?) one box, which was lovely, but the Lector just added life and more holography. Good as the Meridian was, I don't think I'd revert to a s/s CDP. I've always been a believer of the synergy between valves and the CD format, though this thinking was around even in the late eighties.

Hi Greygoose. I think I know where you're coming from musically, and if so, you're on the right lines, i.m.o. Sorry about the paragraphing above, but it makes it easier for me to address your queries (my aged optical focussing problem with block texts).

Firstly, you mention transport but the CDT7 and others are complete transport and DAC units. Only the 4 box can be separated, though whether it can be purchased that way (i.e. transport and supply), I doubt. Anyway, it's the combination and the DAC specifically, not the transport alone, which is important to presentation. Again, the Isis is a complete unit, I believe, so I guess you're thinking of ditching the Chord DAC.

The uplift from 2 box to 4 box is, indeed, subtle but the 4 box is superior, of course (and with marginally less output than the 2 box according to spec's). Yes, my 4 box must be about a decade old now, but is only used once/twice a week (3 other sources to listen to). Rega are indeed known for their service, and I believe the C.E.O. is an occasional poster on this forum.

I researched attenuators thoroughly (putting a thread on here as well), as I didn't like the idea from a purist p.o.v. and tried 3 different values before settling on a -6 dB one, which does the trick with no discernible drawbacks. I was aware of this output situation when I had the Nac 552 (restricted volume control range) but it wasn't really a problem except with compressed CDs. With my E.A.R. 912, the meters tell me everything and made matching much simpler to effect.

My CDP history is limited, as I was dragged reluctantly into this format only in 2001 with a 2 box Meridian. I eventually upgraded to the Mer. G08 (?) one box, which was lovely, but the Lector just added life and more holography. Good as the Meridian was, I don't think I'd revert to a s/s CDP. I've always been a believer of the synergy between valves and the CD format, though this thinking was around even in the late eighties.

Mike, thank you for your considered response, where I am coming from is as follows with the Chord dac, it has a USB connection so this facilitates high res playback,I could connect a cheap or high end transport to get 44khz cd playback, alternatively I could get the matching Chord Blu transport (2k) to use the dual AES/EBU connections to upsample to 176khz. this will give me a sound presentation that I really like and am familiar with, alternatively I could upgrade to the New blu2 / Chord Dave but at 10k that is well beyond my means.
The chord sound is a personal taste which I could happily live with and many reviews class it as good, I still have a longing for that holographic / rich "musical" sound that I also love.
From countless hours reading other peoples findings the options now are rather limited regarding high end players and particularly with the reliable Pro2 cd mechanism and from a manufacturer who will continue to support and repair( No more expensive bricks),

The two attributes you mentioned ( life and holography) are exactly what I am after so The lector 4 box sounds like a read alternative, it was a "dark sounding player" from a review that had me concerned.I guess only me ears can be the judge.
The attenuators are a difficulty but can be fixed, I have a modwright Pre and EAR Head amp so will have to check inputs.
The final issue them is am I crazy looking at a high end 2-3k player that is 10 years old !!

The final issue them is am I crazy looking at a high end 2-3k player that is 10 years old !!

Well, maybe but if it delivers what you want, then not so crazy, esp. if you can recoup funds from selling other gear. More important, though, is the interface connections and constantly changing/evolving digital access. This seems to matter more to you than me, as I've absolutely no intention of chasing the streaming/downloading dragon. I've got enough physical music to see me out ! Guess the valved Isis would be a better bet in that department.

The interfaces are a consideration, I have all my music stored onto a NAS, I never tried out any of the streaming services but I have followed other peoples opinions over the last couple of years so happy to keep the Chord.
It if funny to see that after much fanfare and quality claims the general concensus is that streaming is great for browsing music, many feel that CD playback on a good player it at least as good if not better, I still prefer to play a physical cd.
A couple of years ago I tried an Audionote 2.1 player from the 80's or 90's (Redbook only) so it rendered half of my CD collection unplayable but its sheer musicality left a lasting impression, I was new to this Hifi lark and when down the route of high end DAC and cheap transport which was the mantra at the time. I hope the Lector delivers what I want, I have to go and listen.....

I used a Lector 0.5? for a year or two and imo very good CDP, sound is very nice.

I really liked using it with no problems whatsoever.

looked and sound fab with the side-cheek wood panelling and a leather-like finish on the case.
Seemed very well made to me, so yes, If the price was right I’d seriously
consider another(among quite a few other CD players tbf)

Tony

What other players could be considered for a lively / holographic sound , there appears to be a limited selection of high end players at this level or am I wrong?

Audio Note DAC & transport or CDP? Well worth investigating as would be Rega.
Good luck, lots and lots of choices.

Musical Fidelity Nu Vista or Tri Vista. Ten years late to cd's, had a Teac Vrds 7. When it died I bought a Nu Vista, 17/18 maybe more years ago, never missed a beat and never heard anything that I'd replace it with.. well a plug ugly two box affair that cost 32K impressed me, might spend that on a car but a cd player?

Musical Fidelity Nu Vista or Tri Vista. Ten years late to cd's, had a Teac Vrds 7. When it died I bought a Nu Vista, 17/18 maybe more years ago, never missed a beat and never heard anything that I'd replace it with.. well a plug ugly two box affair that cost 32K impressed me, might spend that on a car but a cd player?

Funny you should say that but I listened to a pair of Proac D18'S With atc sia150 integrated amp in HIFIX in coventry fed by a MF CD player, I was amazed by the 3d sound, buying the Proac's as a result, I never noted the model No of the CD Player, think it was an A5 (NuVusta have a gold tint I think).
I never considered them based on threads on poor components / reliability!!! you only hear about the bad stories.....

Other people suggested things so I thought it ok to 'intrude'. Always loved the reviews and looks of the Lectors but way above my budget.
Had loads of MF stuff, not everything sounded great but never had any problems. The Nu Vista player to me sounds more 'analogue' than most
which is always what I imagined the Lectors to sound like. Had one set of nu-vistas in circa 18 years, not out of necessity, just a precaution, otherwise
will probably outlast me:) The longest lasting piece in my system and no thoughts to change it.Just a thought, good luck with your quest:)

advertisement

Back