Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] Leben CS1000P power amplifier, 100w KT120

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by montesquieu, Mar 31, 2021.

1. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

After much deliberation, my Leben CS1000P is up for sale. This is believed to be the only one of these amplifiers in the UK. It has been owned previously by forum member Petrat (who I believe bought it new), and by David Coe of AD Audio, who gave it a clean bill of health when I traded him for it over a year ago now.

It’s a truly wonderful amplifier, not just a glorious sound but also a heavenly thing to own. Build and component quality are simply the best there is out there. It has massive flexibility having among other features:

• 4, 6, 8 and 16 ohm taps from the custom-wound Leben output transformers
    • Built in bias meter with current settings enabling a vast range of tubes to be used from EL34 types up to the KT120s it was designed around
    • Pentode/triode switching - with my Tannoy HPDs I prefer pentode but some have reported a great speaker match on the triode setting
    • A high quality stepped attenuator, designed to provide variable sensitivity/a match with any preamp, but also enabling bypass of a preamp altogether if you have a single source.
    • Proper 240v UK mains transformer (UK-supplied, not 230v European import)
    • Valve cage covering power and signal valves (not shown in the pictures) to protect curious pets and little fingers from heat and high voltages.

It arrived from David with brand new KT120s, these have hardly been used, as I ran it with KT90s (my favourite tube of the pentode/tetrode family - a shade more delicacy than KT120, but just as low and tight in the bass). Within the last few months I have also renewed all of the signal valves with top quality ones (NOS) from Langrex (JAN Phillips 6922s and US-made GE 6CG7).

I previously owned the Leben CS660P, this amplifier’s predecessor, and there really is no contest between it the CS1000P. The later amplifier is not just more powerful, more controlled and more flexible in terms of what speakers it will drive, I felt it also to be more musical - more snap, more inner voice detail, more timbre and texture. It’s also nicer looking and of course has the built-in meter to make tube rolling very easy.

I think there is only one review, though it does get other mentions here and there. It is an extremely rare amp - few have actually heard it, especially in the UK - not helped by something of a vacuum over the past half decade regarding Leben distributorship in the UK. A new distributor was appointed in September last year so we can expect to hear a bit more from the brand in due course. Not before time.

Review:

https://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/leben7/1.html

List price is just over £10k. I’m looking for £4,600. I do have the original box but I’d really rather not courier it - for now at least it will need to be a social-distanced meet up somewhere within an hour or so of Bracknell. Payment by BT or PPG.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specifications

Valves

- 4x KT120 (Output stage)
    - 2x 6922/6DJ8(ECC88) (1st stage SRPP)
    - 2x 6CG7/6FQ7 (Cathode connection)

Output Power Stereo 2x:

- 100W at 1kHz Pentode
    - 70W at 1kHz Triode

Frequency Response

- 10Hz - 150kHz (-3dB) Pentode
    - 10Hz - 120kHz (-3dB) Triode

Input Sensitivity

- 0.4V @ 50W Pentode
    - 1.9V @ 50W Triode

THD

- 0.4% (30W / 1kHz) Pentode
    - 1.0% (30W / 1kHz) Triode

Input Impedance: 100 kOhms
    Output transformer settings: 4 / 6 / 8 / 16 Ohms
    Power Supply: 240V / 50Hz
    Weight: 23.5 kg (approx.)
    Dimensions: 45.5cm x 33.5cm x 20cm (W x D x H - approx.)

Recommended bias current

- KT150 65mA
    - KT120 65mA
    - KT90 65mA
    - KT88 60mA
    - 6550A/C 60mA
    - KT66 55mA
    - 350B 50mA
    - EL34 50mA
    - KT77 50mA
    - 6L6GC 55mA

2. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Love to hear that pump out some Reggae through big 15" drivers.

Rosewind, jason rockley and eastone like this.
  3. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

Now's your chance :)

4. RogerJW

RogerJW pfm Member

A rare thing of beauty!

5. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Wow what a piece. That’s just lovely. I would love to own it, but very sadly it’s just not the right time. Very best of luck finding it a new home.

6. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Well out of my price range at this time unfortunately.

7. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

I've been asked if there's a ding in the case: there isn't, it's in beautiful condition, it's just a shadow (my head most likely) on one of the pics.

8. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

Post bank holiday bump for this. From next week it should be possible to demo given changes to lockdown rules.

9. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

Now willing to courier if required - I have the orignal box and packing and am convinced it's safe enough.

10. adamski505

adamski505 Active Member

beautiful rare amp
    heard it many times and it is stunningly musical.
    toms a gent to deal with too

11. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

@montesquieu I'm sorely tempted. What sort of pre-amp/source selector are you running it with?

12. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

Currently running it with Audiopax Model 5 (v4). Previoulsy used with an EAR 912. Into Tannoy HPDs as I mentioned.

Petrat previously also used it with an EAR 912, as well as a couple of Shindo preamps (Monbrison and Aurigies) into Tannoy Prestige Canterburys.

13. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

A beautiful beast! GLWS!

14. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

Post April 12, can be heard here in the Bracknell area - call it a business meeting ....

15. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

Just looking on Hifi shark this afternoon .. the only other one of these amplifiers available 'pre-owned' in the world right now is in the Czech republic - priced at the GBP equivalent of £8,850 ...

16. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

Leben is now on hold pending payment.

Rosewind, Vincent52 and eastone like this.