Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Leak?

Discussion in 'audio' started by yuckyamson, May 25, 2020.

1. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

It looks nice if you want retro, Like Rogers and Radford....all 3 shout VALVES to me, not SS

2. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Not sure about the on/off switch on the rear.
    Shades of Naim...

3. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

Whilst I realise the retro looks & revival of a classic brand for purely marketing reasons won't be everyone's cup of tea if it gets people who are otherwise uninterested in hifi into stores then I don't really see the downside. BTW I have also owned a Leak Delta 30 & 70 in the past which were updated Stereo 30 & 70s, underrated in my view, they had adjustable gain switches on the back iirc, something I wish today's amps had, all the SS amps I've had in the last couple of years have had far to much gain, resorted to Rothwell attenuaters on my Rega Brio & Exposure 3010S2D.

Torris12 and Nagraboy like this.
  4. Nagraboy

Nagraboy Ausculta fili

Quad Vena with a costume change. £799 for the walnut version, £699 without the sleeve.

IAG also make those retro Wharfedale speakers too which would make a nice visual match.

The front panel fonts are all mixed up. Bit of a mess there.

Has faux retro gone too far?

5. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I think it has gone too far although I rather like the look of the Wharfdale's. They look like a good forward facing speaker should look; a nice box with some drive units in it. I am still not convinced about the amp though.

6. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Manufacturer and Distributor

China...

The only thing in common with the original will be the name. In my opinion, we should all be ignoring this sort of stuff and buying proper British, or EU made equipment. We have got to break the cycle of the ongoing reliance on China.

7. snowman_al

snowman_al pfm Member

^^^^ This x 2

8. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

Something of a rarity then. Most of them fell to bits while still under original warranty (assuming it was working when you took it out of the box, by no means a given).

9. lagavullin10y

lagavullin10y pfm Member

... compensated by tonecontrols! Heresy.

10. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

I've never considered it was possible anything could make early Leak transistor amplifiers 'more desirable.'

11. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

My father's first purchased amplifier was Stereo 30 and matching Stereofetic tuner Dad had them without the sleeves as he had them in a cabinet. Retro style CD doesn't do anything for me.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  12. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

All Leak SS amps are shite. The 2000 series are the worst and the Delta 75 receiver has the best amp section. Even the badge engineered Rotels in the death throes of Rank Leak were not that good...
    I did however love the styling of the Delta 30/70... but every time I say this I get the impression I'm on my own on that one!:rolleyes:

13. fegs

fegs pfm Member

14. herb

herb music live

Peter Comeau then I guess. Designer of Heybrook speakers and my excellent HBS1 flatpack stands.

15. Bairnstorm

Bairnstorm pfm Member

It's IAG so probably not far off Quad Vena in sound quality.

I rather like the look.

16. fegs

fegs pfm Member

I think it looks great, I've recently bought an amp so I'm not in the market for one, but if I was I think I'd investigate this one

17. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

Just a Quad Vena in a fancy new wrapper then, not necessarily a bad thing, had one a few years ago, was a great sounding amp.
    No Jez your not alone, I always liked the look of the Deltas, unlike you I thought they sounded pretty decent as well, especially the 70.
    TS

18. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I’ve got an inkling it’s the same chap who bought out SME and Garrard, but could easily be wrong.

———

Probably not having now looked at it.

19. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

We had Leak amplifier and speakers (Sandwich's) in the music room of my school. I got to play with it a bit as a sound and light tech for the school plays - I could not act so did this stuff instead.

I think this new stuff looks really lovely and a DAC/AMP is what a lot of people will find very convenient these days. I hope it works. Pricing looks good.

20. Robert M

Robert M pfm Member

Better off sticking to something that's made in England by an English company..ie: rega