advertisement

Leak Stereo 70 Power indicator Bulb

KennethM

Hi anybody know where i can find a replacement bulb,the Leak Manual circuit diagram only states Panel lamp 8v lilliput just to the next it has 6.3v

i googled it sounds like a LES E5 fitting it is approx 5mm to 15mm ish

it screws into a spring i cannot for the life of me remove it any help tricks appreciated thanks

Lilliput lamps used to be an absolutely standard designation, but they obviously must have had a standard size designation too, although searching online they appear to be LES - Lilliput Edison Screw (also E5, although ES5 would be the expected name). They were virtually parallel along their length/height - cap and glass bulb.

If the lamp does secrew into a spring (a common enough method/fitting back in the day), you are likely to have real problems getting the dud out - that always was a palaver and a half and often ended in having to "rewind" the spring. I can only sugggest using a very generous squirt of WD40 and leaving it for 10-20-30 minutes, trying again and repeating again if unsuccessful.

That said, there MUST be orthodox lamp-holders available as a replacment.

Incandescent Lilliput LES Light Bulbs (bltdirect.com)

Plenty on EPay too. NOT cheap!!! Probably unrelaible too due to next to no demand.

Far cheaper are "rice" lamps, which are LES lamps minus a cap, just flying leads. probably a far better bet - should be easy to fit.

20pcs Miniature 3mm 6V 12V 24V Lamp Light Bulb Edison Incandescent Filament Rice | eBay

Or change to an LED with a dropping resistor.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about the lamp/holder. If original, the lamp cap cement could have been rubbish by now and those spring holders will always be a nightmare. I am sure that if I was in your position that there would have been plenty of cursing.

It isn't clear from your OP what is what.

If I read it correctly, there was an 8V lamp on a 6.3V supply. If so, the lamp would glow dimly (probably easily bright enough), and last a near eternity as a consequence. If I am correct, you will be a bit cramped for choice for lamps due to what voltage ratings are available. I haven't searched but I recall that 10V is normal now, and that will glow even dimmer, and last even longer. Will it glow enough to be useful/convenient? I don't know, and they aren't cheap. If you fit a 6V lamp it will be reasonably (too?) bright and won't last long, but you could fit a dropping resistor to run the lamp at something like 4.5-5V, the resistance of which you'd need to find by trial and error unless they quote a wattage, which will allow you to calculate what resistor you needed (the cold resistance of any indandescent lamp filament is minute compared to when running and it is the running resistance that is important).

One word of warning. I use quite a few standard GLS incandescent lamps as heaters - they used to be so cheap that it made perfect sense, and as 99.99% of the energy appears as heat....................... You can still buy standard GLS lamps, and they are RUBBISH - very short life. How good or bad lilliput lamps may be.......................

the orig bulb is still in the spring, i broke the glass trying to remove with big pliers ( i dont have tools) but purchased a cheap pair of small long nose pliers, will spray WD40 on before trying to remove when pliers arrive.

Being clueless about watts volts etc wonder if this will work **** 2x LES Miniature Lamp Light Bulb : 6V 50mA : 5mm : E5 : 1st CLASS POST | eBay

i bought a lamp holder purely for backup i could get my cousin to solder the orig 2 wires that attach to current spring type holder.

So will remove orig broken bulb hopefully and put a 6V bulb in just long as it is visible/glows, it does not have to be super bright etc blah.

**** if these can work then im not too worried about bulb longevity, The bulbs is too tightly in, to remove by hand and without proper pliers is inviting trouble as i have seen

Compounding the problem i have Three Leak Stereo 70 and a Delta 70 ( virtually identical) just cosmetic faceplate change slightly bigger heatsink at rear. All the globes work, as the amps.
I started with one amp loved the sound and power. Musical to my ears especially thro a selection of Rogers LS1 & LS2 etc warm sound pretty clean without spending LS3/5 or Quad prices.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
So will remove orig broken bulb hopefully and put a 6V bulb in just long as it is visible/glows, it does not have to be super bright etc blah.

A 6V lamp on a 6.3V supply (if I understand correctly), will glow very brightly because of the over-volts.That will have two effects, the glass will darken (the lamp will dim) more quickly than normal, and the lamp life will be reduced. I can't remember the relationship between over-volts v. life reduction, but from memory, being 5% over volts will reduce lamp life quite a bit.

If you want to drop the volts, try something like 47R resistor in series. It is just a calculated guess as a dimmer lamp will have lower filament resistance, but at rating, the filament is around 120R

Thanks so much for all this i really have no idea about electronics/electric re voltages and resistance etc, but have learnt just by your replies, I dont have the means of putting in resistors, ( im not a purist) but means taking to a electronic/electric repair guy i used a few years ago, which ends up being approx £39-ish plus a 1/2 drive. Also staying out of shops, until i had had my secondly jab in about 8weeks

i get it the 6v being dimmer and shorter life etc, will this work LES E5 8V 1.2W 150MA Lilliput Light Bulb ?

Under-running (running at lower than rated voltage) will increase life of the lamp, and decrease the light output (the filament runs cooler, so also more reddish tint). So running an 8V lamp at 6.3V will give you a less harsh light and hugely increased life of the lamp.

But can you find an 8V lillput lamp? I did a quick search yesterday and could not - the nearest, I am pretty sure, was 10V, which may be too dim on 6.3V to be useful.

ALL THIS APPLIES TO STANDARD INCANDESCENT LAMPS, NOT EVEN APPLICABLE TO HALOGEN.

There probably isn't such a thing as a 6.3V resistor and even if there is, it is of no use in terms of information as the resistance of a resistor is the primary concern, not the voltage. That said, any resistor mentioned in any manual would be part of the circuit anyway, so you needn't worry about it.

The listing for the lamp is wrong as it is 1.2mW, not W (it it were watt - the whole lamp would run red hot at least at that power).

If the manual says 8V lilliput lamps, I'd go for it as, logically, they should all be nominally the same once you have got as far as the rated voltage.

Can you post a link to an online circuit diagram?

the orig bulb is still in the spring, i broke the glass trying to remove with big pliers ( i dont have tools) but purchased a cheap pair of small long nose pliers, will spray WD40 on before trying to remove when pliers arrive.

Being clueless about watts volts etc wonder if this will work **** 2x LES Miniature Lamp Light Bulb : 6V 50mA : 5mm : E5 : 1st CLASS POST | eBay

i bought a lamp holder purely for backup i could get my cousin to solder the orig 2 wires that attach to current spring type holder.

**** if these can work then im not too worried about bulb longevity, The bulbs is too tightly in, to remove by hand and without proper pliers is inviting trouble as i have seen

Compounding the problem i have Three Leak Stereo 70 and a Delta 70 ( virtually identical) just cosmetic faceplate change slightly bigger heatsink at rear. All the globes work, as the amps.
I started with one amp loved the sound and power. Musical to my ears especially thro a selection of Rogers LS1 & LS2 etc warm sound pretty clean without spending LS3/5 or Quad prices.

Try a Delta 75 receiver;) Better amp section than the 70/Delta 70 and a good tuner comes free. I'm not a fan of the Stereo 30, 70, Delta 70 but the 75, though a very similar design, has some detail changes which seem to improve it quite a bit IMHO.

To remove old bulb apply WD40, smash glass, then crush top of bulb so you can grab it properly with pliers.... this usually works...

link for LEAK circuit etc

Yes - as I sort of expected from your description - an 8V lamp on a 6.3V transformer tap so you get a glow rather than a bright light from the lamp and extended lamp life.

I just hope that modern lilliput lamps have reasonable life, but don't be too surprised if they fail after not very much use.

initially i did not think of longevity, amazing i have four amps from 1969 - 1971 Delta 70 youngest, and all the lights work in fact all te amps work very well, all i have done is squirt some Servisol Super 10 on the pots, not all amps needed it . about 3 years ago, all the amps are orig untouched, no recapping and no goo leaking anywhere.

even more astonishing is how my speakers ( with moving parts ) keep going my early LS1's 1981 nearly 40 yo now, played daily on average 5-6 hours cant live without that non fatiguing sound,

i will post an update once pliers & bulb arrives next week-ish, in a day or two will try remove bulb with WD40 etc

advertisement

Back