advertisement

Leak Stereo 20 versus current valve amplifiers?

Bloody hell!

I just sent the same question to Art Audio (sales) and within fifteen minutes Tom Willis responded - that's what I call service :)
Even more impressive, when you consider that I have bought "second hand".

What do people think of this combination?

Leak Stereo 20, Point one Pre

Im not sure what service work was done and whether it would drive my Graham LS 5/9s at low to intermediate sound levels.

It has had a lot of work done, some of it very far from standard to my eyes. There are even some tags missing from the board (around where the green ‘drop’ resistor should be). That doesn’t mean it isn’t a good deal and it is all fixable. There doesn’t seem to be any wax leakage around the mains transformer, and that is the first thing to look for in hot climates like Australia. I’d view it as a nice cosmetically clean looking restoration candidate with what look like some potentially valuable valves.

I’m sure once properly restored to factory spec it would love your LS5/9s.

PS I really don’t like the way that Bulgin mains connector has been wired-up without strain-relief! Always assume those things are lethal unless done with a proper well-fitted strain-relief sheaf.

It has had a lot of work done, some of it very far from standard to my eyes. There are even some tags missing from the board (around where the green ‘drop’ resistor should be). That doesn’t mean it isn’t a good deal and it is all fixable. There doesn’t seem to be any wax leakage around the mains transformer, and that is the first thing to look for in hot climates like Australia. I’d view it as a nice cosmetically clean looking restoration candidate with what look like some potentially valuable valves.

I’m sure once properly restored to factory spec it would love your LS5/9s.

PS I really don’t like the way that Bulgin mains connector has been wired-up without strain-relief! Always assume those things are lethal unless done with a proper well-fitted strain-relief sheaf.
Thanks Tony,

I’m not handy and don’t know anyone in Australia that knows these amps.

Where Silver Solder is mentioned on this thread? Do we mean solder with high silver content?
Real Silver solder requires a brazing torch and is very strong. Can't braze inside an amp with it.

Where Silver Solder is mentioned on this thread? Do we mean solder with high silver content?
Real Silver solder requires a brazing torch and is very strong. Can't braze inside an amp with it.

Only just noticed this. ‘Silver solder’ as referred to by audiophiles only has a couple of percent silver in it. It is almost certainly BS from any sonic advantage, but there are certain situations it is required e.g. Tektronics specify it for any of their scopes with ceramic tag-boards and actually included a little reel inside. I used some of it when refurbishing my 543B. I’d not bother with it on audio kit though, I use a nice vintage 60/40 flux-core lead solder. I avoid lead-free as it is just nasty stuff even if safer.

There are, or were, high silver-content, lead-based solders, that were/are used for joints requiring a high-melting solder. It will be online somewhere, but I do not recall how much silver they normally contain. I have a reel here - labelled HMP Solder.

I would go straight to Malvern and buy a mingda Piccolo. I was stunned with the lovely jazz renditions coming from this amp.

Apologies if I am late to this thread. I have tried building other amps for the same original purpose but for some reason the Mingda keeps winning. The other suggestion would be a Dennis had

Thanks Tony,

I’m not handy and don’t know anyone in Australia that knows these amps.
Hey there Very happy Leak st.20 + Varislope with Goodman’s 301 owner here
I can recommend Paul at Falls Audio in Reedy Creek Qld. if you need help with yours!

Hey there Very happy Leak st.20 + Varislope with Goodman’s 301 owner here
I can recommend Paul at Falls Audio in Reedy Creek Qld. if you need help with yours!
Thanks for the heads up. I'm about to pull the plug on a Norma 140 so no spare funds to get the Leak.

advertisement

Back