advertisement

Leak Stereo 20 versus current valve amplifiers?

The Roland SH101 is a truly bizarre example to use, as stated in the linked content it has a plastic case (flimsy metal back) and runs on either batteries or a 9V external PSU/wallwart. It has no path to mains earth aside from the signal return of the output lead (or I assume the CV/gate connections to an external synth). A fun synth, I’ve owned several!

There are several distinct classes of electronic equipment (Wikipedia). The SH101 would reside in an entirely different one to a Stereo 20. By my reading the SH101 would be class III, the Stereo 20 class I.

I’ve put the earth wire back in it’s place in the mains plug and just put the Quad CDP back as source again. Too much of a worry for someone who doesn’t know the first thing about electrical safety.

Hi-fi is a real PITA sometimes (often?). I suspect I’m back to just trying out different preamps in the hope they don’t cause hum.

Thanks for the advice chaps. I’m taking it all into account.

QUAD preamps are a huge marketing success. They especially appeal to those satisfied with mid-fi. For those with higher- end requirements (into hi fi) they soon fail to pass the muster- even if they (including me) were taken in initiially.

I bought a QUAD 44 preamp when it first went on sale. Big mistake. Not until I turned it into a hi end 'phono stage' did it satisfy me in my system.

I am pleased- very happy- to read that you have abandoned prompts that involve you playing about with the mains. Could be DANGEROUS!.

Good luck on your preamp purchases.

@eguth

I’ve had expensive high-end kit in the past, where I was often listening for sound quality but I’m more of a music listener these days and I find the Quads very nice. Of course, the other side of this is that people are perhaps imagining sound differences for all sorts of emotional, psychological and financial reasons.

Spoke to @snowman_al (who I bought the Leak from) this morning, and we decided to try the option suggested by Jez as a test. It solved the hum problem as expected but I’m going to email Glenn Croft about maybe adding an earth lift switch to the Croft 25 preamp - or maybe he’ll have some other ideas.

Playing some Mel Torme vinyl from Speakers Corner now and all sounding great. This is a superb power amp.

Had a few tube amps over the years, including a stereo 20, but the only ones that really excelled for me, were a pair of orginal TL12. 1, a 211 onkago replica and my john wood monoblocks. If were in the market for a tube power amp i would snap up the john wood kt88 in the classifieds, you won't get better. JW amps are up there with the best

I had one until last yr. (the early bronze Leak St.20;and Leak Stereo preamp that is) had it recapped etc such a sweet amp benefits from sensitive speakers. Mine are 15ohm 102 dbl. only exchanged it because it was too hot in my room 9 months of the year. Sub tropical climates they are not made for.
Miss it’s tone a lot. Go for it! Have noticed that they are becoming $$$ tho.
By the way the pre doesn’t get much love but I liked it using Telefunken NOS valves,for streaming and tv etc but the phono was a bit rubbish.
Ahh just read that you did go for it. Well done

I’ve had the Leak Stereo 20 for a week now and the sound is magical. I have it connected to the simple passive preamp, using a TDK 10k POT, which I bought from this thread.

Been playing mainly jazz and acoustic via Qobuz and vinyl and it is everything that I was looking for, for example, playing Pink Moon on vinyl was like having Nick Drake in the room with you.

What is particularly impressive is vocals, listening to Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, there are nuances in their delivery which I have never noticed before. Similarly with jazz instruments, Art Pepper’s sax is three dimensional with the sound just hanging in the air.

Above all, is the musicality, it just draws you in, creating an intimate atmosphere where the music and the performers shine through. So, thank you again everyone who recommended going down the classic route!

Spoke to @snowman_al (who I bought the Leak from) this morning, and we decided to try the option suggested by Jez as a test. It solved the hum problem as expected but I’m going to email Glenn Croft about maybe adding an earth lift switch to the Croft 25 preamp - or maybe he’ll have some other ideas.

Did you get any further with this? Or get a response from Glenn?

Did you get any further with this? Or get a response from Glenn?

No response yet. I think he’s having trouble with his email according to a friend. Even though the earth wire is sticking out of the plug, it’s all sounding so good I’m not too bothered. Would be good to hear from Glenn though.

No response yet. I think he’s having trouble with his email according to a friend. Even though the earth wire is sticking out of the plug, it’s all sounding so good I’m not too bothered. Would be good to hear from Glenn though.

Thanks. Fiddling around with earth loops was one of the reasons I now enjoy having a (Croft) integrated amp. But I do sometimes think about reviving my ST20.

Thanks. Fiddling around with earth loops was one of the reasons I now enjoy having a (Croft) integrated amp. But I do sometimes think about reviving my ST20.

I loved the Croft Phono Integrated with my Harbeth M30.1 at my old house. So simple.

I’m thinking of getting a good passive preamp, maybe a Khozmo, but the Croft 25 does seem a really good match. I read the original Croft Micro was made to go with the Stereo 20.

Further to my earlier post, I have recently unearthed the November 1995 issue of HI-FI CHOICE featuring the Leak Stereo 20 in a shoot-out' against some (then) modern valve amplifiers. It did rather well for an old 'un !

This thread is totally relevant as I’ve just bought a pair of Pye Hf25’s… they’re a pair of ‘barn finds’ and they need total restoration and recommission… can anybody give an estimate of how much I would pay to get them a good standard and who you would recommend to undertake the work…thanks for your input…

Last edited:
This tread is totally relevant as I’ve just bought a pair of Pye Hf25’s… they’re a pair of ‘barn finds’ and they need total restoration and recommission… can anybody give an estimate of how much I would pay to get them a good standard and who you would recommend to undertake the work…thanks for your input…

Create a new thread. ;)

I do love barn find restoration threads.

This tread is totally relevant as I’ve just bought a pair of Pye Hf25’s… they’re a pair of ‘barn finds’ and they need total restoration and recommission… can anybody give an estimate of how much I would pay to get them a good standard and who you would recommend to undertake the work…thanks for your input…

As ever it depends on the condition. If the transformers are ok and the cosmetics acceptable it shouldn’t cost a huge amount, though with amps of this rarity and value I’d want them restored sympathetically in order not only to get them sounding exactly as they should but also to maximise potential resale value. I’ve never heard the Pyes, but they are allegedly seriously good, and you are lucky to find a pair!

As stated a new thread documenting progress would be most welcome!

Perhaps you've seen it but there was a recent restoration thread on a pair of these: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/pye-pf91-hf25.250976/

If you're in London or the South East I can recommend @toprepairman Henry.

Thanks for this…will definitely keep you updated once the project is up and running…in the meantime if anybody has any wisdom/experiences they care to impart on the refurbishment of these amps please let me know…

Thanks for this…will definitely keep you updated once the project is up and running…in the meantime if anybody has any wisdom/experiences they care to impart on the refurbishment of these amps please let me know…

I’d be very happy to talk to you about the PYE’s - I rebuilt the PF91’s referenced: for the age of them they are astonishingly decent amps when right.

Sonnyboy958

As others have suggested , I would take some photos of your HF25s as soon as you are able and start a new thread in the 'Classic' section.. It will be easier for members to comment / help if they can gauge what condition the amplifiers are in.

I own a fully rebuilt pair and therefore have information that could be of interest to you.

I have just bought the Art Audio Quintet mentioned earlier in this thread:

Problem - removed valves for journey home, but which sockets do the ecc82 and ecc83 valves go in?

advertisement

Back