advertisement

Leak Stereo 20 & Subwoofers

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
I currently have my sub connected to a class D power amplifier via the high level connection.

The negative cable is floating and the device is earthed via an rca cable between the LFE socket on the sub to a spare input on my passive pre and it works to perfection. This is the documented high level sub connection method for Class D amplifiers.

I stopped using the same sub with the stereo 20 and the usual high level connection configuration after I had a lot of hum.

I am curious to try this floating negative sub connection method with my Stereo 20 to see if it fixes my hum problem.

However, as I know nothing about electronics, I don’t know if my amp will my amp blow up if I do.

Will it? Is this worth trying?

Cheers

No idea if it will work, but I can’t imagine the Stereo 20 caring in the slightest as long as the main speakers are connected as normal presenting the usual load. The Stereo 20 signal return is chassis/mains earth.

I have a sub connected to my ST20 with speaker wire. It's the least of my hum issues :>)

I have a sub connected to my ST20 with speaker wire. It's the least of my hum issues :>)
Ha. I spent ages on RCA for a hum issue with my Stereo 20. Turned out that the power-pre interconnects were routed too close to the power amp and picking up EM interference.

You may have seen, GT/Tron has kindly offered to change the earthing arrangement on my Leak so perhaps ground loops will be a thing of the past.

If you pop round for the Khozmo you’ll see that with my cable arrangements it’s surprising it doesn’t hum more (but I have disconnected the sub).

advertisement

Back