advertisement

LEAK Sandwich 2075 Sought after Vintage Transmission-line Speakers

stephen bennett

Mr Enigma
No idea if these are any good, but they look wonderful.

Stephen

s-l1600.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
They are very good and have awesome bass. Personally the first thing I'd do is remove the original tweeters cos they're crap and put some decent modern ones in then re-cap the crossover as all the electrolytics will have had it by now and then make a few adjustments to crossover to blend the new tweeter in properly if required.

Beobloke has/had a pair, I heard them at Scalford in a huge room. Hard to get any impression, but I suspect rather too far away from a point source for my taste. I don’t understand why they are a four-way! Look totally 70’s-tastic though, which is obviously a good thing. I suspect the grilles have been changed, I’d have expected brown (though would obviously want orange).

Yep I not only have the grilles been changed but maybe new "fascia" bits have been added. I don't recall that "lip" around the edges.... but it's been a long while since I saw any, even if my late pal Tony had a pair for 20 years and I used to see and hear them regularly....

Grille frames are correct, though it looks like they have been repainted, grilles should be black. Leak brochure here.

I've got a couple of pairs of the Isodynamic tweeters that the much better 3075 used. I'm not sure if they are drop in replacements.

I've got a couple of pairs of the Isodynamic tweeters that the much better 3075 used. I'm not sure if they are drop in replacements.
The 3075 must be pretty rare, - I'm struggling to find any images of them online, or are you referring to the 3090?

Sold my 3090s about 2 years ago. They still live in Bristol.

The Iso tweeters were only on the 3090s.beyond my hearing range, so i never could tell if they were working!

I love these and these are a good price. To confirm, the surrounds to the cabinet should be silver and the original grille was a thick foam thing that disintegrates rapidly - I've never seen a pair with this surviving. If you're not sure about the white grille and gold surround, then they can easily be changed.

As to the tweeter, it is a bit like living with a dangerous dog - most of the time it's fairly docile but you're never quite sure when it's going to turn round and rip your head off. That said, it does respond well to capacitor upgrades in the tweeter circuit -better than any other speaker I've encountered in fact. Also, you MUST, repeat, MUST replace the wires connecting the crossover to the bass driver if it's still original. Leak used what appears to be dental floss and I have inadvertently proved it actually removes part of the bass spectrum!

They're great, fun loudspeakers - imagery is good if not pinpoint, the bass is surprisingly couth but deep when it needs to be and the midrange is superb. The only downsides are that edgy treble and a slight upper bass chestiness that I put down to the big bass cabinet resonating gently at certain frequencies.

As to the 3090s with the Isodynamic tweeter, the slight upper bass issue still applies but there is nothing else wrong with these at all. They are truly stunning across the entire frequency range and image superbly. I personally rate them as some of the best speakers i have ever heard and, if it hadn't have been for our Beolab 90s, I'd have kept mine and would be using them in the lounge today.

advertisement

Back