advertisement

Leak 20 refurb

You have to be a member of the Yahoo group to view the pictures, and even then its a pain as the Yahoo software is just so hopeless. I’m a member and I can’t find an ‘after’ pic!

Assuming I’m viewing the right pictures (never a given on Yahoo) it looks like your Stereo 20 had got wet and gone pretty rusty. It really is a testament to these amps build quality that they can be brought back from quite a journey! I love mine and rate it as the best sounding amp I’ve ever owned. It just has a liquidity and roundness to instruments that I’ve not had from anything else.

Russel pictures. Nice work there.
Before

mkfazk.jpg

23iawcn.jpg

24ybj9l.jpg

After

2yvuzhd.jpg

e7ihlh.jpg

2gwf77o.jpg

Do you know what wattage the 100 ohm resistor is? I looks a little small.

Russel pictures. Nice work there.
Before

mkfazk.jpg

23iawcn.jpg

24ybj9l.jpg

After

2yvuzhd.jpg

e7ihlh.jpg

2gwf77o.jpg

Do you know what wattage the 100 ohm resistor is? I looks a little small.

It's intended to be "a little small" so that in cases of excessive current draw (usually failed EL84) it gets so hot the solder melts and it falls off.... yes really! Lateral thinking I guess.....

It's intended to be "a little small" so that in cases of excessive current draw (usually failed EL84) it gets so hot the solder melts and it falls off.... yes really! Lateral thinking I guess.....
I know, 3 watt 100 ohms, but just checking - some of those 'green' banded resistors are film, not wire wound...

Russel, are you intending to paint the blue caps?

Wasn't really planning on spraying the caps as I am not sure how the paint will react with the plastic, the paint used is VW sand metallic.

We used to have that feature on the high speed tape duplicators - it wasn`t lateral thinking, it was running too many valve heaters from one power tray....

Wasn't really planning on spraying the caps as I am not sure how the paint will react with the plastic, the paint used is VW sand metallic.

20714163481_4dac3cd6ca_b.jpg

I’m totally OCD about this type of thing so I peeled the plastic coating off, used body filler to fill the dimples in the caps, primed and sprayed them! The only visible difference from the originals now is the new ones are about 1cm shorter.

I’m totally OCD about this type of thing so I peeled the plastic coating off, used body filler to fill the dimples in the caps, primed and sprayed them! The only visible difference from the originals now is the new ones are about 1cm shorter.

Same here. (But not quite so bad... I just sprayed mine.)

15p351y.jpg

rwmj9z.jpg

But I did manage to recover my rusty self tapping screws.

1563eyd.jpg

10nezv9.jpg

...and are you going to turn the transformer clamp bolts round the right way too? (sorry - runs off.)

Impressive, what did you use to do that?
I don’t follow? On mine? The transformers have never been disturbed to my knowledge.

It is called Hammerite - Rust Remover Gel. Drop everything into an old yogurt pot pour some green gel in and stir. Leave it a day, wash off the gloop and dry them, then repeat.

Tony, transformer bolts on your are correct. Mains transformer have the heads to the valves, nuts to the sockets. Outputs are heads to the outside and nuts to the centre. But that is my OCD bit...

20714163481_4dac3cd6ca_b.jpg

Well, if that doesn't define drop dead gorgeous I don't know what does.

advertisement

Back