advertisement

Lavazza Fantasia coffee pod machine bargain

It is indeed a good deal. I have a Lavazza milk frother, which seems well made and does an excellent job.

Does anyone know about how easy it is to recycle the Lavazza pods? They used to do a compostable pod, but that seems discontinued now. The standard pods look like you might be able to peel off the film lid, scoop out the grounds into the food recycling, then wash up the plastic pod and put that in with the plastic recycling, but I'm not sure.

Kind regards

- Garry

It is indeed a good deal. I have a Lavazza milk frother, which seems well made and does an excellent job.

Does anyone know about how easy it is to recycle the Lavazza pods? They used to do a compostable pod, but that seems discontinued now. The standard pods look like you might be able to peel off the film lid, scoop out the grounds into the food recycling, then wash up the plastic pod and put that in with the plastic recycling, but I'm not sure.

Kind regards

- Garry
with all the ones I've seen the foil cap is thin and soft, you can break it and wash out the grounds. Plastics recycling places are used to metal contamination, they remove it with sodium hydroxide. The resulting small pod can be recycled, if the recycle company thinks it's worthwhile. A lot of this stuff now goes for incineration.

We scoop out the grounds and put them somewhere on the garden (don't ask me where, but they are allegedly good for some of those things that grow out there). Tedious job though!

We scoop out the grounds and put them somewhere on the garden (don't ask me where, but they are allegedly good for some of those things that grow out there). Tedious job though!
I've heard that one too. I'm at a loss to explain why ground up vegetable material is any better than any other ground up vegetable material. Still, it will give the worms something to chew through. If you want a demonstration of how much worms will eat, dig a trench and throw in a load of veg waste. Plant trimmings, potato tops, unfinished compost, whatever. Then throw the earth back on top. Come back in a couple of weeks, dig it over and see how much of it you can find. There will be virtually nothing left, the only stuff that lasts more than a month is the twiggy stuff that takes some chewing through. Anything leafy is toast.

I would be very careful with coffee grounds. There is a lot of twaddle on t'web but look up allelopathy and this is what these grounds do. Its a case of do you understand what you are doing?

Mine go in the bin.

Cheers,

DV

I would be very careful with coffee grounds. There is a lot of twaddle on t'web but look up allelopathy and this is what these grounds do. Its a case of do you understand what you are doing?

Mine go in the bin.

Cheers,

DV
I think you'd have to go some to get enough coffee extract into compost and the soil to generate any toxic effect on plants. How much coffee do you drink?

Coffee grounds are supposed to be a slug deterrent so sprinkle on the surface if you don't have many enemata.

Short of time this week so trying Taylors coffee bags; they're surprisingly good.

Coffee grounds are supposed to be a slug deterrent so sprinkle on the surface if you don't have many enemata.

Short of time this week so trying Taylors coffee bags; they're surprisingly good.

Yep, we empty near some hostas to deter slugs.

advertisement

Back