Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Laura Kuenssberg stepping down as BBC Political Editor

Discussion in 'off topic' started by slavedata, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

The best approach is that of Jeremy Paxman, whose thoughts when interviewing politicians were, in his own words ‘Why is this bastard lying to me?’ The minute a journalist becomes too friendly with a politician, their impartiality is compromised.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and ff1d1l like this.
  2. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

If Lewis Goodall got it there’d be genuine reason to believe the BBC is capable of self-reflection and change.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and TheDecameron like this.
  3. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

I know he's in the running but I doubt he'll get it. And if he did, I suspect he'll be brought to heel quite quickly by a mixture of external and internal pressure. Even so, that would still leave us in a much better place than where we are now, with LK in the role.

Seanm and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Not at all. It did not impede Isabel Oakeshott in her pursuit of journalistic excellence.

ks.234 and ff1d1l like this.
  5. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

From Wiki... Smoke..fire..etc.

Enough?

6. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

7. Paul L

Paul L coffee lounge for me

Isn’t it time to reorganise the way PFM pages load so that all the content appears only on the left hand side? Seriously though, who would make a good central presenter these days bringing left and right wing bias into account impartially because that is what we need?

What we also need is presenters asking awkward questions such as why have we outsourced our national infrastructures such as fuel, steel and food to non UK private or state backed organisations who can and do hold is to ransom when something does not suit just as much as challenging the xenophobic decisions made over time.

8. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

The Guardian is talking freely about political bias in the appointment as if it were just the natural thing...

"Unofficially, Davie and his team will be acutely aware of how Downing Street will view any appointment. With the BBC’s future under constant threat and negotiations over the future of the licence fee still unresolved, they will have to take account of the political currents that surround the appointment of one of the most powerful jobs in British journalism."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...hlighted-by-expected-exit-of-laura-kuenssberg

9. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Indeed, I was wrong about Trump.

10. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier!
    [​IMG]
    Wuth just have tuh dust wurhselves down yuh know.
    Wuth been very unlucky.

11. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Also, how about trivialising an attempted fascist coup on January 6th 2021?:

Source: Laura Kuenssberg's Twitter account

miktec, gavreid and ff1d1l like this.
  12. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

Let's be honest here, some people would prefer that the likes of Johnson, Kuenssberg etc stay in their roles to ensure there is always ample material to be angry about. Utopia wouldn't suit them.

13. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I know standards have slipped at the BBC but their political editor lazily repeating hearsay on Twitter without checking sources is bad enough before we get to her working hand in glove with (or being used as a patsy by by) a lying political advisor who works for another notorious liar currently occupying the role of Prime Minister. She seems to have confused her role at the BBC with that of the Conservative Party leader’s director of communications.

14. Dave***t

Dave***t Revolutionary relativist

IMO Amol Rajan could be great. Significant editorial experience as editor of The Independent at a prodigiously young age, lots of broadcast and interviewing experience, capable of handling heavy subject matter well, and a penetrating and no-nonsense style of interviewing yet without any sneering overtones (ie like Paxman could be). I think he could be excellent in the role.

Unfortunately he’s not long started as a Today programme anchor, so unlikely to go for/be considered for the job.

AndyU, Paul L and gavreid like this.
  15. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

I remember between 1997 and 2010 there was considerable unhappiness at the way the BBC courted and supported the government.
    The beeb is dependant on the government for it's existance so it will tend to favour the party in power

16. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Indeed, the Beeb admits as such. It frames it differently, putting a more noble spin on it, but it doesn’t deny that it considers its role to be broadly as a government mouthpiece.

17. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I guess the difference between now and then was that the BBC as a whole was more or less in agreement with the New Labour agenda* (and this carried through into the Cameron administration); post-Brexit and more especially since Johnson became Tory leader the BBC's values are almost the direct opposite of the Government's. So in order to keep the Government reasonably happy, the BBC will have to self-censor anything even remotely critical.

* I'm not saying that agenda was good, just that, at least until the invasion of Iraq, there was nothing too objectionable in it for BBC 'types'.

18. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Yep, the bias thing is overdone: the real problem is proximity to power, instinctive obedience, aggressive political conformism, credulity, shameless self-promotion, a desire for sensationalist scoops completely at odds with the BBC’s public service remit, and the absence of the kind of journalistic principle and competence that might mitigate any of these failings.

Has to be said though that in all this she is typical of U.K. political journalism in general and symptomatic of the BBC’s lack of independence and pro-establishment instincts and function. She gets the most stick partly because she’s not sharp enough to present her compromised position in terms of balance and responsibility and partly because she’s a woman: after all, Peston is *at least* as compliant and dim and is regarded with some affection.

19. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

He’s Kuenssberg 2.0: politically amoral and sensationalistic (remember his breathless promotion of the broadcast of Powell’s Rivers of Blood speech?), an industrial-strength establishment suck-up, instinctively prickly and defensive regarding journalistic clientelism. But slick enough to cover it up. An ideal replacement, as far as the BBC and Conservative Party are concerned.

https://brokenbottleboy.substack.com/p/amol-nitrate-why-the-bbc-is-so-high

20. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

Indeed. The de facto British State Broadcaster is biased in favour of the Westminster government of the day.

Strange how the Tories, having been banging on about left-wing bias at the BBC 'since the year dot', have not done what they have long threatened to do re. the license fee, given that they have the power to do it... It's almost as though they don't want to 'look a gift horse in the mouth', and harm their propaganda arm...

MSM, in general, have been utterly useless holding the current shower to account (the worst Prime Minister & Westminster Government in living memory, so bad, I long for the warm & cuddly days of Thatcher's benign regime! :eek: :confused:), but the 'protection' the BBC have given them throughout Brexit, COVID etc. has, and continues to be, extraordinary. :eek:

IMHO, of course. :rolleyes: :p

ff1d1l and kendo like this.