Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Laura Kuenssberg stepping down as BBC Political Editor

Discussion in 'off topic' started by slavedata, Oct 22, 2021.

1. slavedata

slavedata pfm Member

2. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

3. wacko

wacko pfm Member

The corruption has gone so far does it matter any more ?

Caledon1297 likes this.
  4. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Pending

An equally important question is: who will replace her?

5. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Martin Bashir.

Bob McC and Nic Robinson like this.
  6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

She’s not gone though, her absurdly partisan “reporting” will no doubt have a detrimental impact on the Today program, though that is obviously a far smaller audience. I hope someone politically neutral with sufficient integrity to speak truth to power gets the Political Editor role. I’ve actually long given up on the BBC news aside from Newsnight thanks to the obvious pro-Tory bias. I mainly watch Sky now, which much to my astonishment is far more neutral and is certainly far better at allowing events to speak for themselves (e.g. they will often run key parliamentary debates live with minimal interruption). I’d happily return to the Beeb if it returns to the key principles of its charter.

Rana, PsB, palindrome and 5 others like this.
  7. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

It was a great relief when Norman Marcel Marceau Smith went. What’s not clear is what’s going on behind the scenes- surely this is a demotion for Keunssberg? Sopel is a lightweight and maybe a nice compliant one, hence his name being in the frame to replace her?

8. Spraggons Den

Spraggons Den pfm Member

Dom Cummings

deanf likes this.
  9. Spraggons Den

Spraggons Den pfm Member

How did the BBC in 2015 manage to employ the only Tory in Scotland to its key political position, probably the same managers who spunk away millions to Bland Bruce and Dozey Ball.

10. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Sopel is a long time former Pol-Cor so might be a good bet. Sarah Smith might fancy it...not sure if she has settled down "up there" yet. She would be excellent and is no tory (obviously).

I just want someone who doesn't act as an obvious mouthpiece for the sack of shit we call a government.

11. Colin L

Colin L High-tech low-life

Sarah Smith is recognised in Scotland as being hugely pro-Tory.

12. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Pending

Which goes to show how tone deaf the BBC is, in these matters.

13. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

If she takes the big chair on the today programme our Nic`s nose will be put out of joint......

14. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Nick, not Nic.

15. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Really? Her father would be turning in his grave. I expect she's pro-union, certainly.

16. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Whoever replaces her will but much worse, I suspect, just watch this space. I mean, did anyone really imagine we would be missing Matt Hancock until Sajid "The Killer" Javid took over his job?

Spraggons Den and Barrymagrec like this.
  17. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

The Today program is already pretty Tory, I barely listen these days. Can’t really blame her for moving on, shouldn’t really need the close protection teams or suffer the online abuse just for doing her job.

18. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

No chance of Eddie Mair I suppose

kendo, Barrymagrec and Covkxw like this.
  19. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

They've had LK...time for Paul Mason.:p

TheDecameron and Nic Robinson like this.
  20. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

Better still ! Paul Merton.

slavedata likes this.