advertisement

Late Miles - The Sidemen

They're all excellent. You'd probably like Get Up With It too.

Yes, I plan to work through that period a little once I've got to know these three. I've not got / heard On The Corner either, and I suspect I need that based upon reviews.

Until recently I thought I really hated jazz fusion except from Herbie Hancock's Headhunters, but I reversed that decision after hearing Bitches Brew (still not got the box set I ordered from Zavi on another thread). Davis seems to do fusion in a really dirty organic & funky way, not the self-indulgent muso widdly widdly widdly crap one associates with / makes me avoid the genre. The other thing that's surprised me is just how Miles Davis influenced Squarepusher (who I like a lot) is. Much of his output could be out-takes from Bitches Brew with added glitches and some suitably mental bass guitar abuse.

Tony.

This pretty much mirrors my experience. Although I reversed my decision upon listening to the In a Silent Way box set.

I think Julian Cope's review are pretty much smack on actually...

You guys might like Miles67909, Panthalassa: The Music of Miles Davis 1969-1974. Reconstruction and Mix Translation by Bill Laswell. Check it out! Released in 1998 and on vinyl as well.

advertisement

Back