advertisement

Last time listen before buy

Looking at what I’m currently listening to, B and E. Most of the times I’ve auditioned stuff at a dealer’s I’ve been underwhelmed and left without buying anything.

D & D
The last time I had a demo and purchase was in the mid 90s. The last time I had a demo was in the mid 00s. I’ve since visited hi-fi shops only for parts - a single part from a single visit, actually.

I do have a possible purchase in mind that will require a demo. (I need to get onto it before inflation has its way with the price!) It would be the first new item I’ve bought since the early 90s.

A, earlier this year, quite an expensive purchase and definitely only available new from a bricks and mortar dealer.

C, It’s my 38th birthday this Saturday.

I generally think it’s a good idea to hear kit before you buy if possible, I’ve dropped a brick a few times buying blind.

If any member wants to hear anything I’ve got, get in touch… I suggest any member comfortable with the idea offers the same thing… covid risks taken into account of course.
Happy birthday for tomorrow mate!

b and d for me. I bought a pair of Stax earspeakers and an energiser from a dealer after a lengthy demo. Last thing I bought new from a dealer. Everything else I now use was bought second hand, mostly from the PFM classified adverts too!

D & D, although turntable, power amp and speakers all secondhand from Definitive over a six year period and known to work well together.

Here's my question (OK -two questions):
1.) when was the last time you listened to something in a Brick n Mortar shop prior to purchase -even if you bought it from someone/somehow else -you listened before buying ?
a.) within the last 5 years
b.)within the last 10 years
c.) within the last 20 years
d.) within the last 30 years
e.) never ever
You are :
a.) less than 20 years old
b.) 20-30 years old
c.)30 - 40 years old
d.) 40 -60 years old
e.) above 60 years old
Got a bottle of Irish riding on the answers ?

Only once ever. At ATC, (so not a shop) a demo of AVI kit, also listened to ATC 100's but way our of my price range. Over 40 years ago.....so E & E. Hope you win your bottle of Irish and it doesn't turn out to be the 'mountain dew'

Happy Birthday! They say life begins at 40, and your now in your 40th year, have a good one!
Cheers, I’m officially 38 now (born in 83)… but already thinking of what to do for my 40th birthday celebrations two years from now! :)

Cheers, I’m officially 38 now (born in 83)… but already thinking of what to do for my 40th birthday celebrations two years from now! :)

Oops, I thought you were turning 39, teach me for speed reading, anyway have a great day and don't eat all the cake!

Oops, I thought you were turning 39, teach me for speed reading, anyway have a great day and don't eat all the cake!
Haha, just been searching the cupboards for chocolate or cake… none in the house so no danger of that, I’ll have to stick a candle in a fig roll.

advertisement

Back